Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Moving to Fort Worth, TX area (?)

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/05, 08:08 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just because cost of living is lower, doesn't mean there's a lack of jobs. Just means there's less taxes and other things that contribute to a lower cost of living.

www.realtor.com is a great way to look at homes.
City's web page for info: http://ci.fort-worth.tx.us/
www.monster.com or www.careerbuilder.com or www.hotjobs.com is a way to check out jobs. Seeing how I don't know what kind of work you are looking for, I can't even guess at what the market is for your particular jobs.
Old 4/18/05, 09:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GhostTX@April 18, 2005, 10:11 AM
Just because cost of living is lower, doesn't mean there's a lack of jobs. Just means there's less taxes and other things that contribute to a lower cost of living.

www.monster.com or www.careerbuilder.com or www.hotjobs.com is a way to check out jobs. Seeing how I don't know what kind of work you are looking for, I can't even guess at what the market is for your particular jobs.

We researched the fort worth and birmingham areas. They both have better education, less crime, lower cost of living and better average income than up north. Amazing isn't it. I guess people get so fixated on old steroetypes that you don't make as much in the south. For me the south is better because they have more full time fire depts. there while up here 97% of fire depts are volunteer!
Old 4/18/05, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by GhostTX+April 18, 2005, 9:11 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GhostTX @ April 18, 2005, 9:11 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just because cost of living is lower, doesn't mean there's a lack of jobs. Just means there's less taxes and other things that contribute to a lower cost of living.

[/b]

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@April 18, 2005, 10:11 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-GhostTX
@April 18, 2005, 10:11 AM

We researched the fort worth and birmingham areas. They both have better education, less crime, lower cost of living and better average income than up north. Amazing isn't it. I guess people get so fixated on old steroetypes that you don't make as much in the south. For me the south is better because they have more full time fire depts. there while up here 97% of fire depts are volunteer!
[/quote]

Thanks for the info GhostTX! As you can see, my husband Andy is trying to convince to move down South! I'm not sure if you know this answer, but how is the daycare business down there? I'm assuming with all the growth going on, that they're should be a high need for daycares?!
Old 4/18/05, 10:49 AM
GTR Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@April 15, 2005, 3:16 PM
Be careful what you say Scott. The next time your doorbell rings I could be on your doorstep j/k

Are there a lot of professional fire depts. hiring down there? I've been a volunteer for 4 years and thats what I want to do. Right now I work in mortgage servicing for a bank but I need a new job. Either fire fighting or getting into the automotive business.
how about u go and work for a ford dealer? or start a procharger/turbo deale or suttin so i can buy from u and get a good price
Old 4/18/05, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Laurie's 35th Black GT+April 18, 2005, 9:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Laurie's 35th Black GT @ April 18, 2005, 9:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by GhostTX@April 18, 2005, 9:11 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-GhostTX

Thanks for the info GhostTX! As you can see, my husband Andy is trying to convince to move down South! I'm not sure if you know this answer, but how is the daycare business down there? I'm assuming with all the growth going on, that they're should be a high need for daycares?!
[/b][/quote]
You can sling a dead cat in any direction in Texas & hit a daycare
Old 4/18/05, 02:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by racerx87+April 18, 2005, 4:15 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racerx87 @ April 18, 2005, 4:15 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by Laurie's 35th Black GT@April 18, 2005, 9:23 AM
Originally posted by GhostTX@April 18, 2005, 9:11 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-GhostTX

You can sling a dead cat in any direction in Texas & hit a daycare
[/b][/quote]

Slinging dead cats is fun! I guess that may be a good sign as to there being plenty of daycare oppurtunities there.
Old 4/18/05, 03:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally posted by Laurie's 35th Black GT@April 18, 2005, 9:23 AM
My wife is a stay-at-home-mom, so I don't really know about the daycare situation. Never had to worry about it. I do have a friend that is using a very posh day care in the Keller area and it costs him roughly $175/wk for his 3 year old and $210/wk for his 1 year old.
Old 4/19/05, 07:36 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by GhostTX+April 18, 2005, 5:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GhostTX @ April 18, 2005, 5:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Laurie's 35th Black GT@April 18, 2005, 9:23 AM
My wife is a stay-at-home-mom, so I don't really know about the daycare situation. Never had to worry about it. I do have a friend that is using a very posh day care in the Keller area and it costs him roughly $175/wk for his 3 year old and $210/wk for his 1 year old.
[/b][/quote]

Wow thats some serious dough! Well I guess it's good news for someone who wants to start one
Old 4/19/05, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by GhostTX+April 18, 2005, 4:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GhostTX @ April 18, 2005, 4:46 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Laurie's 35th Black GT@April 18, 2005, 9:23 AM
[/b][/quote]

Wholly clow...$175/wk is crazy for a child that age. That's more a price to charge for infants and newborns! I'd be looking to start at about $100/wk for that age group, so I guess it looks like I can steal some business! Thanks for info, that makes me feel better about leaving my family and friends to move!
Old 4/19/05, 10:10 AM
Team Mustang Source

What friends?
Old 4/19/05, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@April 19, 2005, 11:13 AM
What friends?

Excuse me?! Where are your friends?

Anywho...
Old 4/19/05, 03:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I don't know the "average" cost of daycare in the area. Some parts of Keller/Southlake/Colleyville area is pretty expensive though.
Old 4/19/05, 09:36 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Laurie's 35th Black GT+April 19, 2005, 11:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Laurie's 35th Black GT @ April 19, 2005, 11:58 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-1999 Black 35th GT@April 19, 2005, 11:13 AM
What friends?

Excuse me?! Where are your friends?

Anywho...
[/b][/quote]
right here