Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Memorial Day Parade

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/05, 05:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in a small farming community of about 5,000 people.
Every year we have the traditional parade with horses, fire engines, old tractors and of coarse, hot rods.

I decided to take my new pony for a little parade ride.
I usually drive my '66, but it's at my dads, which is about 40 miles away.

So anyway, we're in this parking lot where they stage all the cars.
There were about 15 total. A couple of mopars, an impala, 72ish camaro, bla bla bla.

It's tradition that the guys walk around and give each other’s cars a look.
I did my duty and cruised around looking at the cars. Gave my thumbs up to all the guys and proceeded back to my pony. Not one of the hot rodders gave my stang a 1st look let alone a second look. No biggy, I just figured that it would at least be acknowledged. Most of the guys were my age, mid 40's. One old guy in a '55 Ford looked over for about 2 seconds. That was it.

Next, the parade.
I was about 5th in line and we were behind the horses. Not sure why they put nice cars behind stinky horses. I was behind a mini van that was carrying a local politician.
One of the mopars about 3 cars in front of me starts doing burn outs as we are going along. I'm getting bombarded by the crowd to "light them up" or "do a burn out"
With my insurance agent standing 15 feet from my car I let a 50 foot gap form.
I run the engine up to about 4700 rpms and let her go. What a feeling and reaction from the crowd. I did this about 3 times and finally realized that traction control was on. I turned it off. As I'm going I notice my two oldest kids, one on either side of me.
My daughter on my left and my son on my right. I had to put a show on for them.
I let the gap form again, this time I run it up to I couldn't tell you what and let it go.
It seemed like those tires spun forever, I know they didn't. Smoke filled the cabin and that oh so tender smell of burnt rubber. I was in heaven. This was about half way through the parade. I figured that was enough riding the pony. But she loved it.
And so did I.
Old 5/30/05, 07:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder how many of those Mopar guys will put their orders in tomorow for a 2006 Mustang after your show?