Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

I love our Military.

Search this Thread

Old 1/6/05, 07:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The men and women in the military bust their collective butts each and everyday. Most of the time, leadership, both officer and enlisted is pretty good. Sometimes, they get @#$@$%ed-over with an absolutely terrible NCO or officer (really terrible - someone that should have never put on the uniform). Regardless of the old (really old) saying "joining the military will make a man out of you" - that just isn't the case. When you see someone in uniform, remember that their job is a lot harder than it looks - and that most people take them for granted or stereotype them. There are true bad guys out there. They want to kill us simplly because we are American. My hat's off to the active and reserves serving today.
Old 1/6/05, 07:12 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
:usa:
Old 1/6/05, 07:55 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

And we definetly don't do it for the pay when we are in the lower grades/ranks. There's more to it then that. Today is my 17th year in the Navy, good day for this topic. I won't even get into the sacrifices I've made (there have been some big ones) but the folks with boots on the ground in Iraq, and anywhere else there is trouble are amazing men and women. Thanks for the thread.
Old 1/6/05, 09:58 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
I've said this before, but it wont hurt to say it again, thanks to anyone on the board that serves in our military or any public service posistion (LEO / FD). You men and women have my utmost respect.
Old 1/6/05, 10:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My best friend is a Marine (no longer active duty) and a pretty good shot too. Next time I see him I am sure that we will discuss this story as he loves the sniper bit.

I also own a Browning A-Bolt .338 Win Mag and next time I see him and we do discuss this I know he is going to want to waste the whole day seeing if we can get a stinkin' 1000 yard "kill shot" out of the Browning. There goes an entire day....lol
Old 1/7/05, 05:01 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I don't really wanna go into this, but I gotta ask you guys something.

If things were other way around, meaning that Iraq soldier killed USA soldier with sniper from same distance, would you still celebrate here or would you say "we should kill them all for this?"
Old 1/7/05, 05:24 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

or maybe we could lock this before the morality issue comes up too much. A thread for the military folks is a nice thing though, thanks Scott.
Old 1/7/05, 05:59 AM
Bullitt Member

I would like to express my thanks to all those who have served or are serving in the military. 'Nuff said. :usa:
Old 1/7/05, 08:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Red Star@January 7, 2005, 7:04 AM
If things were other way around, meaning that Iraq soldier killed USA soldier with sniper from same distance, would you still celebrate here or would you say "we should kill them all for this?"
What Iraq soldiers?

And to your point, they (terrorists/insurgents) already do snipe at our troops...from mosque spires. <_<

I wouldn't mind a few more records broken. :usa:
Old 1/14/05, 08:43 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the subject of ending another human being's life. I have had to wrestle with this in my own mind. 15 years ago I chose to go fly reconnaissance aircraft because I wondered (wasn't certain) how I would feel about dropping bombs or firing missiles and killing my fellow man. While I understood that it was sometimes warranted, I didn't know if I wanted to be the one pulling the trigger.

Unfortunately it boils down to a "us or them" equation. If that Marine doesn't kill that Iraqi insurgent, he will keep feeding the mortar rounds into the tube and who knows how many US soldiers while be killed or wounded, or how many children will not have their daddy come home. True the children of that Iraqi will not have a father either, but the Marine's responsibility is to his countrymen not to the insurgent.

Part of the reason I wrestled with this was that I am a Christian. When I have worried about whether my military service will conflict with my faith, I think about what Jesus said about the Roman soldier who asked Jesus to heal his servant (a soldier who worked for a government that had occupied Jesus's country, and who's leader considered himself and was worshipped as a god). Jesus didn't say, "quit being a soldier for an evil government that worships a false god, and kills the innocent". No, he said "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith."

So, I feel confident that being in the military is not in conflict with my faith. I getting long winded here so I will end with this. Just as military members kill their fellow man, I would kill not hesitate to use whatever means necessary to protect my family from violence (e.g. murder, rape) even if it meant I had to end someone's life. I also would kill if my own life was threatened, but only to ensure that my wife and kids don't lose a husband or father. Military members kill to protect their friends and countrymen because if they don't, the the "bad guys" will just kill more of us.

Killing someone is nothing to smile about, but sometimes it's necessary in order to avoid a worse situation.

I'll get off my soapbox and quit preaching now.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic.
Old 1/15/05, 02:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the topic guys, 10 year navy boy here. It's not the situations we go through that makes it worth the fight. It's about being appreciated. It's people like you who make me smile, who aren't afraid to say thank you. There is no "training" that prepares you for killing, every man takes that on himself to overcome. When it's in life or death situation it makes it more justifiable, but ask any veteran today from any of our wars. They're still recovering from the sights that they've seen. The horror of war isn't what it's about... it's getting the job done when no one else will step forward.

:flag2: