Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

How to secure your garage door

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/15, 07:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
How to secure your garage door

I recently saw a video that showed how thieves are slipping the hanging hook end of a wire clothes hanger over the top of a garage door and snagging the lever that releases the trolley from the transport mechanism. They then pull the lever down with the hanger and in SIX seconds they are opening your garage door. I devised a way to prevent this and wanted to share it with you all.
Old 4/16/15, 07:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
Ignore the pic on my post. It's the only way I could view yours. That's messed up though.
Attached Thumbnails How to secure your garage door-image-827656525.jpg  

Last edited by GrnT; 4/16/15 at 07:48 PM.
Old 4/17/15, 07:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I saw that video a while back too. My release lever is designed different than yours, so I was able to run a zip tie through it to secure.

I was very close to buying one of those $30 boxes to protect it. With the box the release would still work. My method it is not functional.

What amazes me are the thieves that come up with this. Of course I'm not thinking about how I can break into someones home either.
Old 4/17/15, 08:05 PM
Cobra Member

A friend in the Honda S2000 club pointed out the flaw in my earlier solution - in the event of a fire in the garage you don't want the release lever impeded. So based on an idea he had I devised a new solution.
Here is the new solution with many thanks to Dave for pointing out the flaw in the first solution. I picked up a sheet of aluminum and longer clevis pins from Home Depot. I cut two pieces of aluminum 6 inches square and drilled holes in them. They mount on the longer clevis pin and on a machine screw that goes through the hole in the arm. There are extra nuts as spacers to get the two sheets of aluminum to mount properly. The release lever is now unimpeded but the aluminum sheets extend far enough past it that a burglar can't snag it. Here are the links to photos.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...psakgbz76z.jpg
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8rkvsmr2.jpg
Old 4/17/15, 09:03 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I use a padlock.
Old 4/19/15, 11:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
A friend in the Honda S2000 club pointed out the flaw in my earlier solution - in the event of a fire in the garage you don't want the release lever impeded. So based on an idea he had I devised a new solution.
Here is the new solution with many thanks to Dave for pointing out the flaw in the first solution. I picked up a sheet of aluminum and longer clevis pins from Home Depot. I cut two pieces of aluminum 6 inches square and drilled holes in them. They mount on the longer clevis pin and on a machine screw that goes through the hole in the arm. There are extra nuts as spacers to get the two sheets of aluminum to mount properly. The release lever is now unimpeded but the aluminum sheets extend far enough past it that a burglar can't snag it. Here are the links to photos.
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...psakgbz76z.jpg
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8rkvsmr2.jpg
Thanks. I had not thought about a fire, or other emergency situations. Did you remove your handle from the end of your tether? They would still be able to grab it and pull down to release.
Old 4/19/15, 02:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Thanks. I had not thought about a fire, or other emergency situations. Did you remove your handle from the end of your tether? They would still be able to grab it and pull down to release.
Yes, the handle is off the cord. I did the one door in the photos and still have to do the other one. I just don't want to park my Stang out in the pollen while I work on the door.
Old 4/19/15, 03:01 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Hmmm...never thought of that one.