Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/05, 09:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
All right, I would like to know if any of you saw the film this past weekend and your opinions on it. Personally, I liked it..a lot. It wasn't exactly the book, but it wasn't supposed to be. Every incarnation of the tale is different and I've enjoyed them all. I especially liked the little references that people "in the know" would have picked out. Things like Marvin (from the old tv series) standing in line at the Prisoner Release Office, Simon Jones (Arthur Dent from the old tv series) playing the Magrathean prerecorded head (Your death may be monitored for training purposes), and the planet on the factory floor shaped like DNAs face. So many cool things for me AND my friends who hadn't even heard of HHGTTG enjoyed it as well. After beating (mercilessly with a wet towel (pun intended)) XXX hopefully we'll get to see The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Life, the Universe, and Everything, So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish, and Mostly Harmless in theatres some time in the near future.
Anyway, tell me what you all thought.

So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish
Old 5/2/05, 09:46 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
welp I haven't seen it but i heard all of what made the books and plays and radio shows great was gone....the clever Douglas adams writing. I have heard that all the great lines are either removed or chopped beyond recognition.

I'll hold out final judgement till i see it though
Old 5/2/05, 10:24 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to see it, but I have not read the books or seen the t.v. series. I want to read the books and see some of the t.v. series to get a feel for the movie. Lets just say I hate being left out of a joke lol.

EDIT: Brother saw it, he has no HGTTG background either, but he liked it!
Old 5/3/05, 01:08 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I really was very disappointed. I think I had my hopes set too high after the books and the radio program. The film just wasn't coherant, nothing seemed to gel, and if you had never read the books, you wouldn't known that there was actually a plot. As a stand alone film, 4/5, from a big hhgttg fan 2/5
Old 5/3/05, 01:27 AM
GTR Member

I did think Marvin, voiced by Alan Rickman (snape in the potter films) was excellent. "Life? Don't talk to me about life"

Oh, the doors on the Heart of Gold were cool as well!!
Old 5/3/05, 05:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the only issue was that if the film had all the details of the books it would have been 5 hours long. I, for one thought they got as much as possible into an hour and a half and yet I still wonder what they would have added if it was the whole two hours.
Old 5/3/05, 04:46 PM
GTR Member

I am sitting here watching the first episode of the TV series! (good old BBC!!)

I know which I prefer....
Old 5/4/05, 12:45 AM
GTR Member

Alright then Chaps. Sit back, clear your diary for the next half hour and listen to the latest offerring from the BBC Hitchhikers team!!! (I listened last night)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod....io4/hitchhikers