Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Handicapped parking and YOU

Search this Thread

Old 5/16/13, 10:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Handicapped parking and YOU

Well, not YOU, but the guy who tried to park there... and was not handicapped.

I had just pulled in to a restaurant parking lot space, and got out of my car. And a minivan pulled in a few spots down.. where I *didn't* park, because lo and behold, it's a handicapped spot. I saw it, so I didn't park there. It is of course, closer to the door.

So, as I said, I had gotten out of the car, and I wandered over to the van... no handicapped plate... don't see the placard in the windshield... here comes solo driver man... He sees me.

So I stop. I look at him dead in the eyes. Then his van. Then the ground where the painting of the wheelchair character is... then back to his eyes...

"Oh," says he.

That's all that's said between us. He turns and goes back to get in the van. I just walked into the restaurant, and didn't even speak or glance back. But after I ordered at the counter, I look back... sure enough he's moved elsewhere.

Freakin'. Awesome.

See, my mom and dad have legitimate need of these spaces. So it's a particular pet peeve of mine, and I *do* look for those who are being inconsiderate. I myself never use them, unless I'm with them and they actually get out of the car.

I know it wasn't a big accomplishment or anything. I've done something MUCH more hero-like than this. And I coulda got myself shot or such for questioning the guy... But still...

That was pretty cool for me. I felt "all that" for a couple of minutes.
Old 5/17/13, 05:57 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
I don't understand people who use those spots needlessly. It takes a level of arrogance not often seen in public to do such a thing: the space is marked specifically for handicapped individuals, yet you deem that specification below you and decide you're important enough/valuable enough/you just don't give enough of a **** about the rest of humanity that you're going to do whatever the hell you want to regardless. Not only is this attitude necessary, but the sin is a public one: anyone who wants to can write down your license plate, do a little personal investigating and make your life a living hell--all because they took particular exception to you parking in a spot reserved specifically for a group of people in which you do not belong. Arrogant, careless AND stupid.

People who do this should have their cars keyed. And yes, if I could do it and know I'd get away with it, I'd **** sure do it every single time.
Old 5/17/13, 09:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There have been a couple of times when I mistakenly pulled into a handicapped slot because the little tiny window sign was hidden among the clutter of advertising on the window and/or the ground stencil was faded out. The businesses have a responsibility to maintain the markers.

Sometimes even the best of us don't see the signs.
Old 5/18/13, 12:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh, yes, I'll grant those. But this was seriously "how the heck did you possibly miss the giant 3 foot painted blue and white square in the front of the spot, AND the 2'x1' sign on a post in the front?!?" kind of deal. No quarter asked nor given, people, it was that blantantly posted and unmistakeable.

Makes me wonder how his van didn't have a messed up front end and super-curbed wheels, if he's not paying attention to that kind of a degree.

Which means he did it ON PURPOSE, and I caught his behind parts in the act, is my conclusion.

And no, I don't get them either, but two wrongs don't make a right, so no keying. The accidental 20 shopping carts behind the car though...

Last edited by houtex; 5/18/13 at 12:24 AM.
Old 5/18/13, 12:28 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I hate those spaces that used to be handicap spaces but the store tried to black out the stripes and failed so there's still this sense of taboo parking there.
Old 5/18/13, 12:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
I don't understand people who use those spots needlessly. It takes a level of arrogance not often seen in public to do such a thing: the space is marked specifically for handicapped individuals, yet you deem that specification below you and decide you're important enough/valuable enough/you just don't give enough of a **** about the rest of humanity that you're going to do whatever the hell you want to regardless. Not only is this attitude necessary, but the sin is a public one: anyone who wants to can write down your license plate, do a little personal investigating and make your life a living hell--all because they took particular exception to you parking in a spot reserved specifically for a group of people in which you do not belong. Arrogant, careless AND stupid.

People who do this should have their cars keyed. And yes, if I could do it and know I'd get away with it, I'd **** sure do it every single time.
I have a friend with a legitimate Handicap Placard due to a heart condition. He parks in Handicap, displays his placard on the mirror, jumps out and practically runs in to the store / restaurant etc. He does have a bad heart and can't walk far, but he gets those looks all the time. So you just never know what a persons handicap is. But be careful when keying his car..he also has a concealed carry permit and always carries.

With reference to "anyone who wants to can write down your license plate, do a little personal investigating and make your life a living hell" what if the car is not his, maybe it's borrowed from a friend or relative or maybe he is with a friend or relative? Regardless, it is called harassment or stalking and can easily turn around on you make your life a living hell..I'm just sayin....

I agree..2 wrongs don't make a right..

Last edited by elkk; 5/18/13 at 01:10 AM.
Old 5/18/13, 01:30 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by elkk
I have a friend with a legitimate Handicap Placard due to a heart condition. He parks in Handicap, displays his placard on the mirror, jumps out and practically runs in to the store / restaurant etc. He does have a bad heart and can't walk far, but he gets those looks all the time. So you just never know what a persons handicap is.
Right. Not all health issues are obvious. In fact most aren't. And its really nobody's damm business about personal medical history - with the current exception of blankhead whorebama and the ****ing IRS.
If someone has the placard I don't question it.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/18/13 at 01:34 AM.
Old 5/18/13, 04:46 AM
Post *****

My father in law has a handicap placard. I didn't know you could get them for being mentally deficient too.
Old 5/18/13, 06:22 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There will always be idiots out there that go out of their way to park in handicap spots, just like the ones that go out of their way to park as close as possible to the nice car sitting all by itself in a parking lot.
Old 5/18/13, 08:58 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 5/18/13, 10:54 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by elkk
I have a friend with a legitimate Handicap Placard due to a heart condition. He parks in Handicap, displays his placard on the mirror, jumps out and practically runs in to the store / restaurant etc. He does have a bad heart and can't walk far, but he gets those looks all the time. So you just never know what a persons handicap is. But be careful when keying his car..he also has a concealed carry permit and always carries.

With reference to "anyone who wants to can write down your license plate, do a little personal investigating and make your life a living hell" what if the car is not his, maybe it's borrowed from a friend or relative or maybe he is with a friend or relative? Regardless, it is called harassment or stalking and can easily turn around on you make your life a living hell..I'm just sayin....

I agree..2 wrongs don't make a right..
Did I say anything about people with a rear view tag? I'm not sure why you think those individuals would be included in the group I specified.

Re:harassment, I never said it wasn't. I also didn't say it was the type of behavior in which I would engage. It doesn't mean it can't be exploited. People kill other people for wearing fur or leather. Why would you assume this would be any different?
Old 5/18/13, 12:06 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Park anywhere. Get out and start limping. Problem solved.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 5/18/13 at 12:08 PM.
Old 5/18/13, 03:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Right. Not all health issues are obvious. In fact most aren't. And its really nobody's damm business about personal medical history - with the current exception of blankhead whorebama and the ****ing IRS.
Really? You could have done just fine in that post without bringing anything of that nature in here, Charlie:

Right. Not all health issues are obvious. In fact most aren't. And its really nobody's damm business about personal medical history.

See? Works better, IMO. I'm no fan of Obama or IRS, but... it really had no place in here, and seems really out of context... except you don't like 'em, but we already know that from elsewhere, don't we folks?

---

Again... license plate... placard... if one is on the car, I am assuming that they need it. Until proven guilty of being a lying liar, at which point, they need a ticket and/or jail time, bastidges that they are.

Without those? Yeah, a little petty "oops, that cart didn't mean to be there, did it?" is sorta ok by me... not that *I* would do it, no way. I just shake my head and glare and stuff like that because I simply don't wanna be shot by the hothead I would be lucky enough to have ticked off by my lovely arrangement of carts.

Last edited by houtex; 5/18/13 at 03:12 PM.
Old 5/18/13, 04:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex

Really? You could have done just fine in that post without bringing anything of that nature in here, Charlie:

See? Works better, IMO. I'm no fan of Obama or IRS, but... it really had no place in here, and seems really out of context... except you don't like 'em, but we already know that from elsewhere, don't we folks?

---

Again... license plate... placard... if one is on the car, I am assuming that they need it. Until proven guilty of being a lying liar, at which point, they need a ticket and/or jail time, bastidges that they are.

Without those? Yeah, a little petty "oops, that cart didn't mean to be there, did it?" is sorta ok by me... not that *I* would do it, no way. I just shake my head and glare and stuff like that because I simply don't wanna be shot by the hothead I would be lucky enough to have ticked off by my lovely arrangement of carts.
Thank you; best post of the thread.
Old 5/18/13, 04:59 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
People kill other people for wearing fur or leather.
Do they make a coat out of them and wear it after?
Old 5/18/13, 05:30 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it bother anyone when you see a handicap plate or placard on a big truck or one with lift kit? Or someone riding in one of those carts that the store provides and there's clearly nothing wrong with them, other than being lazy?
Old 5/18/13, 06:22 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Really? You're going to call me out on that?

OK. Maybe THEY - like YOU - should MYOFB. You are neither that person's doctor or the judge that would levy/enforce a fine if they parked there improperly.
I've been around people like you with your innuendo's about people's health or disability. Like an old woman sticking your nose in everybody's business but your own.
Maybe his injuries are internal and not so obvious so others make the same wise crack. Maybe the guy forgot the placard because his wife drove the car last. Maybe the guy has the runs and has to get to a bathroom quick. Maybe the guy just finished his chemo infusion, feels like puking but can't, and just wants to get in and out of the store. Maybe....

Or maybe the guy is one of the small minority of people that do cheat.
Regardless, maybe you shouldn't judge others until you walk a mile in their shoes.
Old 5/18/13, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 5/18/13, 09:52 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 592 Likes on 425 Posts
Really? You're going to call me out on that?

OK. Maybe THEY - like YOU - should MYOFB. You are neither that person's doctor or the judge that would levy/enforce a fine if they parked there improperly.
I've been around people like you with your innuendo's about people's health or disability. Like an old woman sticking your nose in everybody's business but your own.
Maybe his injuries are internal and not so obvious so others make the same wise crack. Maybe the guy forgot the placard because his wife drove the car last. Maybe the guy has the runs and has to get to a bathroom quick. Maybe the guy just finished his chemo infusion, feels like puking but can't, and just wants to get in and out of the store. Maybe....

Or maybe the guy is one of the small minority of people that do cheat.
Regardless, maybe you shouldn't judge others until you walk a mile in their shoes.
I think he meant the political aspect. Can't disrespect Dear Leader.
Old 5/19/13, 12:59 AM
Post *****

**** that bastard

Quick Reply: Handicapped parking and YOU