Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

This free Ipod deal...

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/04, 09:23 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alright, dunno who all has heard about this, but it actually seems to work. I've seen ads for the site before, and I had just disregarded it as a pyramid scheme. Then on Monday one of my friends down here @ college has an Ipod show up in his mailbox. A few of us had signed up for it a little while back jsut to see waht would happen, and this lucky bastard wound up with an ipod. so now I want one.

This is what I had to do. Sign up and then pick one of their "offers". these included things from GM, discover, blockbuster and a few other places. some of them were "free" product samples(pay for S+H, usually about $5), other were subscription services such as the NY Times. I just signed up for one of the dumb weight loss tings, and cancelled the shipments of the crap as soon as the freeipods site credited me with signing up there, which didnt take very long.

Now I've been on this baord for quite a long time and have never posted anything like this, and probably never will again. But this actually seems to be legit. So anyway, if you'd like to try this out and help me out, please click on the link below to get started(this link will sign you up just like normal, but will give me credit for the referral.) Then, you just have to get 5 people to sign up, and you have a free Ipod as well. This is not one of those pyramid schemes where a billion people have to sign up for you to get a prize. Just 5 people that refer you. thats it. Nothing more.

Click this link to sign up
Click here to sign up

Here is a link that can help with picking the offers, and a article off of wired.com about all this.

http://freeipods.4.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=18
http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,212...tw=wn_2culthead

P.S. - just click NO to all the surverys they ask you to take.

Thanks a ton guys.
Old 9/22/04, 09:43 PM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SCAM

Use you as a reference? Thats how you get the free IPOD. This stupid scam has been circulating the internet for years. Started with VCR's, then TV's, now its up to IPOD's.
Old 9/22/04, 10:25 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it seems very good to be true, yes.

but its not a pyramid scheme. you need 5 people to refer you to get an ipod. those 5 ppl are not connected to anyone else at all.

The ad company doing this gets paid a "bounty" for every person that registers with the freeiPod site and also signs up for one of the offers from a major corporation(including the NY times, AOL, EBay, ColumbiaHouse, InFone, GM, Discover, etc.) These are big-name companies that would not have thier name durg into an illegal pyramid scheme. These "bounties" that are paid usually range from $25-40 per person that signs up. For this case, though, we will use a low figure of $15/person.

lets say 1 million ppl sign up(about what they have had so far). This brings in $15 million to the ad agency.

Only 1 of every 6 people could have 5 full referrals. So that drops the number of people who could potentially get an iPod to roughly 167,000. Let's say that 25%(probably a rather high estimate) of the maximum number of possible iPod recipients actually gets 5 referrals. That's about 41,750 people who actually get iPods shipped to them. 41,750 @ $250 an iPod is $10,437,500. that still leaves $5 million in revenue for the ad agency. If the "bounty" is higher, so is their revenue.

Seems reasonable to me. Besides, if no one wants to sign up, thats fine. It's just a shot in the dark on my part, and cost me next to nothing. But I'm telling you, I know a guy who got one from this. Of course no one ahs to believe a word I say and I'll take no offense to that. the last thing I want to do is start a flame war or garner ill will on these boards which I enjoy so much. Sorry if I pissed anyone off.