Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Ford Motor Company - Stop Digging Your Grave

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/06, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Motor Company - Stop Digging Your Grave

Ford Motor Company does not just want to go after companies that sell Mustang parts and use their Mustang trademarked name in their Company name, they want to go after us. They want to go after all the websites, companies and magazines that use the name Mustang or Ford in their company name. Yes you heard it right EVERYONE. That means some of your favorite Mustang websites, Mustang parts dealers, and Mustang magazines are being attacked by the very company they promote.

Let's take a look at the possible companies that are going to be affected by Ford:

TheMustangSource.com
Mustangevolution.com
Mustangforums.com
Mustang-Forums.com
Mustang.com
Mustangtuning.com
Allfordmustangs.com
Muscle-Mustangs.com
Vintage-Mustang.com
Mustangworld.com
Mustangfaqs.com
Mustangheaven.com
Fordpower.net
3.8mustang.com
Mustangseats.com
Mustang.org
Mustangworks.com
Cal-Mustang.com
Mustangmonthly.com
Mustangenthusiast.com
Moddedmustangs.com

I am sure there are more, but those just pop into my head.

Here is points from an article by Mustangmonthly.com which is also on Ford's future target list:

Originally Posted by Mustang Monthly
About 10 years ago, Ford started making noise about the use of the Mustang name. As a result, some companies modified their name to include a descriptive word, such as Classic. When asked if those companies would still be targeted, our source at Ford said, "At the time, that was deemed acceptable. Ford has changed its mind."
Changed your mind? How convienent. I might just change my mind about my next car purchase too.

The letter also demands that the companies turn over for destruction all signs, banners, business cards, stationary, and so on, that use Mustang in the company name, along with a cashier's check for $5,000 in damages. One company was given less than two weeks to comply, and another has discontinued its advertising, a potentially devastating move for a mail-order company, until the situation is resolved.
2 weeks! They are hurting these businesses people.

Upon further research, it appears the matter will only be resolved when everyone--parts companies, Web sites, even magazines--stops using the Mustang name, primarily because Ford fears the usage might be construed as an affiliation with Ford. A source at Ford, who asked to remain anonymous, explained that Ford has decided to "reclaim its legacy" by protecting its trademarks and logos. "The intent is to eliminate the use of trademark names," including Mustang and Thunderbird, among others. Apparently, Ford went after companies using Ford in their name first; now it's time to clean up Mustang.
Claim back their legacy by pissing off their loyal customers? :uhh:

So now companies are faced with making a name change, and it won't be as easy as replacing Mustang with Pony or Stang. According to Ryther, Ford is protecting those trademarks too. His suggestion is for companies to change their names to something generic like "Classic Car Parts," then add a tagline about specializing in Mustangs. Sounds confusing to me.
Here is the kicker! Pony and Stang are also registered Trademarks of Ford

Ford wants to make EVERY COMPANY listed above remove the name Mustang from it. :disgust: You have no idea how disgusted I am with Ford. Their company is in the worst financial shape in years so they decide to start pissing off even more of their customers, the very people that create what the Ford Mustang is, by suing the Enthusiast sites and the companies that sell to the Enthusiasts.

I apologize Ford, that I do not wish to purchase my OEM parts from you and be raped by your outragous prices. Competition is a ***** isn't it? It must suck when some small company can make a better product to replace your crappy OEM one and do it for less than it costs to purchase the crappy OEM one.

You are about as dumb as a rock if you actually believe a site like Mustangplus.com could be confused as being affiliated with you.

I hope you reconsider your decision to go after the little man here. The little man might just be bigger than you thought when it is all said and done.

Original Post: Ford Trademark Lawsuits
Old 6/3/06, 03:03 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford has been doing this for years and years..it's starting to get more press again that's all.
Just another in my long list why I hate the Company of Ford. I like the products just hate the company.
Old 6/3/06, 03:15 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that is such bologna. The aftermarket is what makes the Mustang the way it is. The limitless possibilites with the car.
Old 6/3/06, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by burningman
Ford has been doing this for years and years..it's starting to get more press again that's all.
Just another in my long list why I hate the Company of Ford. I like the products just hate the company.
It is complete bull****. Whether they have legal standing or not is not the issue. The issue is that they are attacking these companies and sites and pissing off their current customers and future customers.
Old 6/5/06, 12:17 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford needs all the friends it can get in the consumer community. This just reaffirms my belief that the company is so top heavy and bloated that it's incapable of making smart decisions about important issues, and instead makes dumb decisions about unimportant ones.
Old 6/5/06, 08:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by BamaStangGuy
Ford Motor Company does not just want to go after companies that sell Mustang parts and use their Mustang trademarked name in their Company name, they want to go after us. They want to go after all the websites, companies and magazines that use the name Mustang or Ford in their company name. Yes you heard it right EVERYONE. That means some of your favorite Mustang websites, Mustang parts dealers, and Mustang magazines are being attacked by the very company they promote.

Let's take a look at the possible companies that are going to be affected by Ford:

TheMustangSource.com
Mustangevolution.com
Mustangforums.com
Mustang-Forums.com
Mustang.com
Mustangtuning.com
Allfordmustangs.com
Muscle-Mustangs.com
Vintage-Mustang.com
Mustangworld.com
Mustangfaqs.com
Mustangheaven.com
Fordpower.net
3.8mustang.com
Mustangseats.com
Mustang.org
Mustangworks.com
Cal-Mustang.com
Mustangmonthly.com
Mustangenthusiast.com
Moddedmustangs.com
Don't Forget 50mustangandsuperfords.com
Old 6/5/06, 09:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by burningman
Ford has been doing this for years and years..it's starting.
Not true. Companies like California Mustang have been in business for something like 30 years, and Ford has never said anything about it.

Until now.

It is sad that they lay off so many workers, yet keep so many lawyers employeed chasing down these bogus claims that can only hurt the brand they say they are trying to protect.
Old 6/5/06, 10:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Too many Chiefs so to speak and not enough Indians ( no offence meant) or just too many cooks in the Kitchen ! I as well like a lot of what they come up with or have but, some of the idiots behind a desk, can't they see that especially a site as this only helps them ? if they were to say kill a lot of it , well I'd have to buy a Toyota then or a Maserati
Old 6/6/06, 09:12 PM
Cobra Member

I hate to say this,but if ford sues all these sites and companies,I will have to make the letters in the word ford into this sentence.F.O.R.D=Found On Road Dead.
Old 6/7/06, 06:25 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by Rampant
Not true. Companies like California Mustang have been in business for something like 30 years, and Ford has never said anything about it.

Until now.

It is sad that they lay off so many workers, yet keep so many lawyers employeed chasing down these bogus claims that can only hurt the brand they say they are trying to protect.
Actually it is true..there was a rash of ford websites closed down back in the dot com days and around 6 years ago. Ford told them to close or get in legal trouble.
Ford was targeting websites primarily.
And Ford said you can in some circumstances use Classic or Vintage in the name and get away with it..but it seems ford is renegging on that too.

Ford used to pull the Cybersquatting card on these people.
Heres an example from 6 years ago about ford going after a Volvo fan
http://www.classicvolvo.com/ford/wsj/artikeltext.htm

Like I said..nothing new..just coming back to the news front again.

Ford even sued a site called Jaguarenthusiastclub. As well as Jaguarcenter.com.. which was about the cat not the car.

Anoter link about this kinda stuff
http://www.eff.org/legal/cases/Ford_...10_eff_pr.html

Ford has lost some and won some
Old 6/7/06, 09:43 PM
Cobra Member

^ Sorry, my bad. I have just been talking to the California Mustang people, and this is the first time Ford has ever approached them about their name. Maybe they are broadening their cyber-squatting to include all company names.

Either way, it is a shame and a disgrace if you ask me. I could certainly understand if these people/companies were trying be misconstrued as being affiliated with Ford. But, that is not happening with the people they are targeting. In fact, those companies are HELPING Ford's business right now.

Regardless, it just doesn't make sense to attack your friends when your enemies are already nipping at your heels. Or biting your leg in this case.
Old 6/7/06, 10:32 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

I agree 100%!