Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Ford Dealer blasts imports

Search this Thread

Old 12/11/08, 09:27 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
^ I dont mean to be insulting, but that's one of the main issues, people seem to think toyota/honda have an unbelieveable ability to make cars that never go wrong. ever, and that the states can't produce anything that lasts longer than 30 miles...ford's quality is above toyota now, I was reading an article yesterday on USAToday that was all about that.
Its not like imports showed up one day and that same day people started believing that imports were better than Big 3.
Imports earned their reputation. If Big 3 wants to be taken seriously they have to earn it too. And that's gonna take a long time, just like it took imports.
Old 12/11/08, 09:40 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'll but a Toyota again when a family in Japan can buy a Mustang without a gazillion dollar tarriff on it. We expect the big 3 to compete with them here, when they are not allowed to reasonably compete over there.
Old 12/11/08, 09:48 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Big 3 can compete in Japan under Japanese laws. Just like imports are competing in the USA under American laws.

For example, in Serbia registration is a lot more expensive than in the USA and it depends on engine size. But that's for all cars, no matter where they're from. Right now for cars with engines 4.0+L yearly registration is over $1,200. And insurance is about $2 a month for each hp car has. So that means that owner of new Mustang GT in Europe will have to pay $600 a month just for insurance. Do I even need to go into details about gas prices over there?

No wonder American cars are failure in the rest of the world.
Old 12/11/08, 09:51 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
But thats an example of how government restricts competition. What if insurance rates were based of a "free" market and registration didn't go by horsepower. That sounds like an arcane system for making people drive puddle jumpers.
Old 12/11/08, 09:57 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Those rules are not to restrict competition since those rules also apply for domestic companies. Those rules are to make sure that people aren't buying vehicles they don't need. Meaning that a single woman with no kids should not be driving a Suburban (actually, nobody should be buying Suburban). And most importantly, those rules are to make sure that country doesn't depend too much on foreign oil. Maybe the USA wouldn't be in wars all the time if we were all driving Fiestas and similar cars instead of F-150s.
Old 12/11/08, 10:13 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I dont see a problem with some people buying Suburbans...I know alot of families with 4-5 children, you need a bigger car. Foriegn cars did earn their reputation, granted, but people are not being shown that American cars are as good or better quality now. I think the new Fiesta may very well be a huge turning point.

One of the things taht really irritates me is the stupid EPA laws, there are probably 15-20 different cars available in Europe that can get 50mpg+, because they use diesel, and dont have the same regs that we have. Truck drivers are pissed because as of 2007 MY's they now have to use catylitic converters, which destroy's their already bad fuel mileage. 2 mpg on a regular car is a normal fluxuation, but when you consider that the semi's and dump trucks might get 6-7mpg, it's a huge difference.
Old 12/14/08, 10:03 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Its not like imports showed up one day and that same day people started believing that imports were better than Big 3.
Imports earned their reputation. If Big 3 wants to be taken seriously they have to earn it too. And that's gonna take a long time, just like it took imports.
And it wasn't like the imports were magically screwed together better from the get-go. Those companies made it a point to keep continuously updating and improving their products in ways buyers could see during their ownership period w/the car. That helped lead to the U.S. market shift to brand loyalty away from the Detroit automakers.
Old 12/15/08, 06:34 AM
Bullitt Member

How much oil do we consume on a daily basis? We do not have the reserves or capability to to provide enough oil to sustain our way of life. That's why we import! Now one thing is I think that OIL should no longer be a Commodity that is bought or sold. Free market is why we are where we are! Ain't capitalism grand[/quote]

i guess you missed the sarcasm in my reply. your posts have touched on a lot of the points that i agree on. and yep im old enough to remember the pre-70's oil/gas prices. and i drove a chrysler/japanese made Dodge colt back then.
Old 12/15/08, 08:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by xpinoy
How much oil do we consume on a daily basis? We do not have the reserves or capability to to provide enough oil to sustain our way of life. That's why we import! Now one thing is I think that OIL should no longer be a Commodity that is bought or sold. Free market is why we are where we are! Ain't capitalism grand
i guess you missed the sarcasm in my reply. your posts have touched on a lot of the points that i agree on. and yep im old enough to remember the pre-70's oil/gas prices. and i drove a chrysler/japanese made Dodge colt back then.[/quote]

Aye, I sure did DUH, Guess I was a bit narrow minded that day and completely missed it
After that Datsun my Dad purchased one of those "imports" a Plymouth Sapporo. I can't remember what it was badged by Mitsubishi as, but that car had a nice interior, ride and a strong motor!