Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

First Motorcycle: The Krylon Kruiser

Search this Thread

Old 8/30/08, 11:54 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So something occurred to me..

On a chopper, one usually lengthens the forks, and increase the fork angle. I haven't done the first part, but inadvertantly I HAVE increased the fork angle.

By lowering the rear as substantially as I have, the whole angle of the bike's frame vs the ground has changed, so that the frame points higher up. This means that the forks are now pointing farther out than before. I also put the handlebars back on the bike today, and adjusted them to exactly where I want them.

It feels like a really good mix between chopper and bobber now. Pete calls it a mini chopper. I was rather pleased with this discovery
Old 9/1/08, 01:24 PM
Post *****

More discoveries!

I finally found out what the factory power was on this engine, 27hp.

But I also learned that my DOHC in the Maxim was actually a detuned version of the 45hp DOHC motor in the more "sportbike" esque version of the bike.

If I can find out the differences, down the line when I want a bigger bike I might be able to make do with just building this one up
Old 9/1/08, 02:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
A good project you got there Arin. Probably the best $50 you've spent, right?
Old 9/1/08, 02:14 PM
Post *****

yeah I'll say. I mean its going to cost a few hundred to finish the bike, but I'm still getting a good deal. Much less than buying a running version of this bike, and mine will be modified to exactly how I want it. If I just scrapped this and bought a runner, I'd need to pay more for the bike, pay for the mods/parts and still I'll have to make some repairs somewhere. Perfect bikes don't exist
Old 9/1/08, 02:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Yep. That was the motive when i got the Mustang. I saw better ones, but more expensive, mine was a bit rough, but in running condition and bone stock. I'll make the mods I want down the road. I got the car for $2k, a good deal imo.
Old 9/1/08, 03:14 PM
Post *****

$2K sure ain't a bad price for the last of the 5.0s
Old 9/2/08, 07:50 PM
Post *****

Well the engine is back together. I decided to paint the cam cover black instead of polishing it. It was simpler, faster and looks great. I also got some pics of the handlebars now that they're on

Also, I've been considering replacing the front forks with an older Springer style. I learned tht the XS650 (larger version of my bike) can bolt on harley Springer front ends that have been shortened 2", and they run between $400-500 on ebay. It would really add to the classic look of the bike if I managed to get one of those on there

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories__2-UNDER-BLACK-SPRINGER-FRONT-END-HARLEY-BOBBER-CHOPPER_W0QQitemZ350094640538QQadnZMotorcycleQ20Pa rtsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2863QQcmdZViewItem?ha sh=item350094640538&_trkparms=39%3A1|65%3A1|240%3A 1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

And heres the picture of the Yamaha XS650 that inspired it all

Last edited by future9er24; 9/3/08 at 01:45 PM.
Old 9/2/08, 08:55 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That would be trick, but are you sure you want to dump that much money into the project? Just doesn't seem practical to me. But then again...
Old 9/2/08, 09:00 PM
Post *****

Seems that way, but I know that this is the only bike I'm going to get to have for a very long time. Might as well spend the bucks to make it exactly what I want.

Plus, the build of this bike is still gonna be pretty cheap. I don't see myself spending more than $2K TOPS over the next few years. I expect it to be much less than that. I'm really shooting for around half that investment
Old 9/2/08, 09:07 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by future9er24
Seems that way, but I know that this is the only bike I'm going to get to have for a very long time. Might as well spend the bucks to make it exactly what I want.

Plus, the build of this bike is still gonna be pretty cheap. I don't see myself spending more than $2K TOPS over the next few years. I expect it to be much less than that. I'm really shooting for around half that investment
^^^ That's the "But then again..." I was referring to. I'm just thinking maybe get it together and ride it first, then decide on dropping the money into the front end. No matter what, good luck.
Old 9/2/08, 09:13 PM
Post *****

No worries. I may have the rest of the bike together and running before I can afford the springer front end anyway. Its kind of like a supercharger, I really really want it, but its relatively low priority, and there's alot of stuff to do before I get to that point, such as getting it running, seat and a rear fender.

Eithery way, I can't wait for this bike to get going
Old 9/3/08, 02:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Looking good so far
Those forks look , but $500 is sure f*cking painfull man. But, as they say "spend the money now or spend the money later" as for any parts we want for our projects, right? On the long run, you may get a deal for them, you never know.
Old 9/3/08, 03:45 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'd get the rest done and then worry about the springers. You may decide it's not even worth it, to spend 33% of the bike all over again, just to get a slightly smoother ride, especially since I think you said you made it a hardtail
Old 9/9/08, 04:40 PM
Post *****

Yeah definitely hardtail. Theres a guy on one of the yamaha forums that is quitting his XS400J project, so he's selling me the strut he made for his hardtail conversion. He has about a 1/2" difference from what I wanted, but hell, good enough. I took the measurements and the ride height is just fine with his strut. $20 shipped isn't bad either

As most of you can see, my frame looked like this this morning

I don't really like the thingies sticking out at the back. They're for the original seat/fender/faring to mount to. I don't need any of that garbage, and since I'm out of cutting wheels for my grinder, I took a hacksaw to it!

I like the "i" shape it makes

the thingies

Also finally set the forks in properly. The right side just did not want to go back to the flush spot, probably because of the hammer mangling I inflicted on it to get them out in the first place. I pried open the clame area, wedged an allen wrench in there, and slid the fork's top to right where I wanted and then tightened it all down.

I wan't to get the motor back in soon. We'll see how it goes
Old 9/9/08, 05:10 PM
Post *****

Rough sketch of my plan for the bike, done on the BART on my way home today

I drew the big one, and decided it looked like crap, and then drew the smaller one right after. The smaller one is much better proportioned

Last edited by future9er24; 9/9/08 at 05:12 PM.
Old 9/9/08, 08:23 PM
NTTAWWT

looks like the art school is helping out already, looks good
I was wondering when you were going to ditch the fender hangers
Old 9/9/08, 11:25 PM
Post *****

Even though I haven't drawn anything for a class other than an orthographic of a box lol

And as much as art school is awesome, It still is a royal PITA to draw that rear fender, especially on a moving train

Also, I'm bidding on a Sportster tank as we speak, $5.50 right now, with 15 for shipping got a small dent, but small enough to smooth out with body filler.

I also put my front fender back on today, didn't like it and have decided to put it on ebay later. The pegs are on too, and I'm very comfortable with the riding position

What I still need:

-Figure out starting issue
-electricals and wiring harness in general... lol
-modify said sporty tank and get a gas cap
-rear sprocket
-hand controls and possibly a custom handlebar
-headlight
-fuel filter
-rear fender/tailight
-seat, front and rear
-battery
-chain
-modify kickstand to work with lowered bike
-polish the rest of the aluminum to at least a somewhat presentable level, maybe add more black
-figure out and hook up front brake
-NEW TIRES, hopefully whitewalls
-exhaust heat wrap stuff
-air filters. I'm going to use the conical breather caps you see on valve covers, they seem to be about the right size for my carbs

longterm/maybes
-possibly new guages
-springer front end with spoked front wheel
-spoked rear wheel
-mufflers. Originals have been removed because they were ruined. Either cherrybombs or the stock fatboy mufflers i found at the flea market, but neither of those are happeneing if the bike doesnt need them. some say the bike wont run right without em, so we'll see
-maybe some form of saddlebags, if I decide I need them
-figure out how to squeeze that extra 18 hp out of my motor
Old 9/10/08, 04:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Rough sketch of my plan for the bike, done on the BART on my way home today

I drew the big one, and decided it looked like crap, and then drew the smaller one right after. The smaller one is much better proportioned

Even though I haven't drawn anything for a class other than an orthographic of a box lol

And as much as art school is awesome, It still is a royal PITA to draw that rear fender, especially on a moving train

Also, I'm bidding on a Sportster tank as we speak, $5.50 right now, with 15 for shipping got a small dent, but small enough to smooth out with body filler.

I also put my front fender back on today, didn't like it and have decided to put it on ebay later. The pegs are on too, and I'm very comfortable with the riding position

What I still need:

-Figure out starting issue
-electricals and wiring harness in general... lol
-modify said sporty tank and get a gas cap
-rear sprocket
-hand controls and possibly a custom handlebar
-headlight
-fuel filter
-rear fender/tailight
-seat, front and rear
-battery
-chain
-modify kickstand to work with lowered bike
-polish the rest of the aluminum to at least a somewhat presentable level, maybe add more black
-figure out and hook up front brake
-NEW TIRES, hopefully whitewalls
-exhaust heat wrap stuff
-air filters. I'm going to use the conical breather caps you see on valve covers, they seem to be about the right size for my carbs

longterm/maybes
-possibly new guages
-springer front end with spoked front wheel
-spoked rear wheel
-mufflers. Originals have been removed because they were ruined. Either cherrybombs or the stock fatboy mufflers i found at the flea market, but neither of those are happeneing if the bike doesnt need them. some say the bike wont run right without em, so we'll see
-maybe some form of saddlebags, if I decide I need them
-figure out how to squeeze that extra 18 hp out of my motor
Heheh, I do the same thing when I'm pumped up with a project, a sketch and a list.
Old 9/14/08, 03:42 AM
Post *****

More updates. Some elctrical parts came a few days ago, no chance to isntall yet. That'll probbaly be tomorrow.

What came today though was the strut that replaces the monoshock and spring!

Take a look!

Also, a friend came by today and we evaluated.

Now... Here is my frame RIGHT now. Please note the extra crap all around the rear area

Here is a 1940 Indian scout. It is a hardtail bike, meaning it never had a rear suspension. I really like the look of that rear, and the #1 reason to convert to hardtail is for "the look"

After going over the bike and realizing that none of that "extra crap" has anything to do with structural integrity, I have decided that I am going to cut it off. It will allow me yo better mount an older style seat, fenders and have that older look. Heres a VERY rough chop of what that will be like

This is a typical hardtail frame, without the rest of the bike on it

Note the similarities my frame will have after the cutting. I'll post more pics of when I actually do it
Old 9/14/08, 04:38 PM
NTTAWWT

looks really similar, except for the frame around the engine, kinda strange looking

Quick Reply: First Motorcycle: The Krylon Kruiser