Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

Firearms question

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/15, 05:17 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickstang
I like to start a newcomer with a .22, preferably a revolver, simply for the sake of keeping noise and recoil to a minimum while learning the mechanics of grip, stance, sighting, and follow-through (staying on target). Matter of fact, I got a new student this evening, although Indiana winter is not normally conducive to comfortable handgun shooting very often. Tom, I'm glad to hear that things are coming together for you.
Thanks Mick.

The biggest thing I took away from handling and firing a pistol yesterday was that I wasn't intimidated. I was afraid that I'd be afraid, but that didn't happen.

The 9mm recoil didn't seem as bad as I envisioned it to be. No so my friends .45 Sig. That one was a bit scary. I only shot 10 rounds and wanted to get back to the 9mm as soon as possible.

The range near my home that I'm planning to join and take their beginners course this week also rents guns at $10 a pop, so I'll be sampling as many as I can over several sessions. I had initially figured that a compact size handgun would be just fine, but now I want to sample some full sized frames as well. I'm hoping to make my decision before the end of January.

I'm anxious to take the noob course...at least I have a tiny bit of familiarity after yesterday.
Old 12/27/15, 08:08 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Good on ya, Tom. Your approach seems pretty good to me. I would recommend that when you have narrowed down your list you look on-line for reviews and check out several reviews of each.
Old 12/27/15, 08:43 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
Good on ya, Tom. Your approach seems pretty good to me. I would recommend that when you have narrowed down your list you look on-line for reviews and check out several reviews of each.
Way ahead of ya Tom. I've been watching numerous YouTube vids about various guns and seeking out comparos. I've been using the Glock 17/19 as a baseline since they seem to be the most popular and biggest selling guns and are within my price range. But I'm open minded. I'm also intentionally seeking negative reviews as well.

After firing Glock and Sig compacts yesterday I'm interested in handling a large frame gun. I'm curious to see if there's less recoil and fatigue factor. After firing about 75 rounds for the very first time my gut tells me I over-did it after about 40-50 rounds....that's when I shot the best. After that I was getting frustrated and just wasting ammo.

Mostly I shot at center mass of the silhouette, but when I aimed for the head, my first shot was direct center. Beginners luck no doubt, but I felt like I was doing zombie head shots on The Walking Dead!!!!
Old 12/27/15, 09:25 AM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I shoot a Sig P320 9mm Subcompact and am surprised how light recoil is.
Old 12/27/15, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Thanks Mick. I'd like to get an AR-15 style rifle as well. And with all the increased government "assault weapon" trash talk and King Obongo's magical pen, I'm concerned that I should get one sooner than later.
My question to you and the entire forum is: why do you want an AR-15? Is it just because the Pres says he doesn't want you to have one? If you are starting a new hobby or hunting, more power to you! But if it is something that sits in your closet for years untouched...

Plus, if they are eventually outlawed, they will have records that you bought one & will require you to turn it in. And if you don't, they will come to your house to get it. And what will you do when 6 heavily-armed servicemen ring your bell asking for your guns & ammo?

I have a number of friends who say they won't turn in their guns, they will fight. Sure, gonna fight 6 heavily armed, highly trained service personnel. THAT sounds like a fight you could win.

Don't get me wrong, I was raised with guns & own a number of different types. But lets be realistic people, an untrained amateur thinking they are going to refuse to surrender is bad news.
Old 12/27/15, 11:18 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
You have a record you bought it, but not that you still own it...

Also, historically speaking a ban will be significantly more likely than confiscation. Just saying.
Old 12/27/15, 12:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
You have a record you bought it, but not that you still own it... Also, historically speaking a ban will be significantly more likely than confiscation. Just saying.
Around here, the law is if you sell it, you need a signed bill of sale to prove it was sold.
Old 12/27/15, 12:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Is that the law in new Jersey, where he lives? It might not be... My second point still stands. Hard to buy all this stuff if it gets banned again. Might as well do it before hand if you have the means and desire.
Old 12/27/15, 10:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing to remember is: The AR platform is a natural progression of firearms development; it is not of necessity any sort of evil tool of aggression. Just as the breech-loading Trapdoor Springfield supplanted the muzzle-loader, and the M1 Garand rooted out the clip-fed bolt action, our military AND the sporting public have accepted new styles of rifles throughout history. When someone says "Well why do you need one of those things?", they immediately reveal their own prejudices. I suppose Mrs. Trapper Jack said the same thing to her husband when she found out he'd traded off his trusty single shot for a '73 Winchester about 140 years ago. Some things are better left unsaid; to each his own.
Old 12/27/15, 11:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Yeah Tom, unless you're looking to conceal carry (which I have no idea how the laws are in NJ), a full size would be much better all around. I only got a compact because I had intentions of applying for a conceal carry permit here, but our Sheriff seems to think allowing regular citizens to be armed in public, is a no-no. Unlike every other county around us.
Old 12/30/15, 11:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ya'll live in the wrong state.

As for the whole AR15 "assault weapon" ban thingy...

Personally I prefer my M1 Carbine to the AR platform, but it's far more expensive to shoot the .308 than it is the .223. I find it funny that when people talk about assault weapon bans, they never think of these....

Despite the fact that these are real military weapons and not civilian look-alikes. Not only are they real military weapons, but the .308 M1 Carbine and .30-06 M1 Garand are potentially MUCH more lethal than the much smaller .223 round. For example, my Garand would have no problem shooting through a typical police ballistic armor vest.

Last edited by Moustang; 12/31/15 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12/31/15, 12:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
My cherry finally got popped today....shot a handgun for the very first time. A friend took me to his range and let me try two of his guns. I fired about 75 rounds, mostly with a Sig compact sized 9mm, but I got to try his Sig .45, and later a range instructor let me fire his Glock 19. I did OK on the first 30 rounds or so, but I increasingly got worse. I was surprised at how tiring it can be without even feeling tired.

I made some minor rookie safety and range etiquette mistakes, nothing serious. I didn't shoot myself or anyone else, so I'm off to a positive start.

The .45 was a bit much. A 9mm is more to my liking so far. The Glock 19 was nice and easy to handle, as was the Sig compact. But it seemed like my hand was a bit cramped. I'm looking forward to firing a Glock 17 and other full sized as well as other compact 9mm weapons.

In a classic case of Do as I say and not as I do, I always recommend a 9mm, but I not only carry a .45, I took my Conceal Carry shooting test with my .45.

In Texas, you have to pass a gun safety course and a proficiency test before you can get your Conceal Carry license. The proficiency test involves firing a total of 50 rounds from 3 different ranges. 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yards, and 10 rounds at 15 yards. You have to draw, aim, and fire within a set time limit.

And I'll tell you now, you'll definitely want to be very accustomed to shooting a .45 before you attempt to fire 50 rounds through one in a timed proficiency test. There were a couple of wanna-be Rambos in our class that also tested with a .45 and their last 20 shots or so were pretty poor. I qualified with a 242 out of a possible 250 points, but I had been shooting .45s for a couple of decades before taking my test.

Like I said earlier in this thread, for a first time gun owner I would definitely recommend the 9mm and would only suggest a .45 to someone with a good amount of experience with firearms. A well balanced .45 is a wonderful weapon to shoot. They can be very controllable and the accuracy is very hard to beat. But they can be a real handful for someone who hasn't spent MANY hours shooting them and becoming accustomed to their recoil and weight. I would never give mine up, but I will never recommend them to someone else.
Old 12/31/15, 01:07 AM
Cobra R Member

I always laugh when people think Texas has the most lax gun laws...if I recall it's only just very recently that ya'll were able to legally open carry a handgun. Meanwhile a good portion of the rest of the country has enjoyed that right since...well since forever.

In my CPL class someone brought a .454 Casull. They failed miserably.
Old 12/31/15, 05:41 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Yeah Tom, unless you're looking to conceal carry (which I have no idea how the laws are in NJ), a full size would be much better all around. I only got a compact because I had intentions of applying for a conceal carry permit here, but our Sheriff seems to think allowing regular citizens to be armed in public, is a no-no. Unlike every other county around us.
No conceal carry here in NJ, but my mindset isn't geared yet for that consideration even if this state permitted it, which is very unlikely here. I still need to decide on a gun and get some experience under my belt (no pun intended).

I suffered a brain fart...I thought my beginners class was this week, but I had mismarked my calendar. I actually have my initial instruction on Wed of next week. I can't wait.

Looking back at last Saturday when I shot for the first time, I realize just how tense I was. My entire focus was on handling the gun properly and safely. It's all I thought about and I'm certain that distracted me from trying to learn the mechanics of proper stance, breathing, and aim concentration. I also shot at a target that was 25' away. The range where I'll be taking my class will start at 15'....that seems to make sense to me.

I'm very excited about getting started. Once I have completed the 2 hour class and formal range time, I'll be going back every few days and renting various handguns until I'm as certain as I can be in selecting a firearm. I'll probably make my purchase there. Their prices seem to be very close to the big box stores like Cabelas and Bass, but those places are out of state and I'd end up paying more after shipping and transfer fees.

My best friend just applied for a firearms purchase permit. He wants a rifle though and has no immediate interest in a handgun. But he lives on 15 acres in northwest NJ and one section of his property seems perfect and very safe for an outdoor range. That'll save some $$$ instead of constantly paying fees and enduring wait time at an indoor range, and I suspect it'll be less distracting as well.

Keep those cards and letters coming folks. I appreciate all advice and opinions.

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 12/31/15 at 05:46 AM.
Old 12/31/15, 07:12 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Having shot various pistols over the years and owning and shooting a 9mm XD and a trooper issue 357 I got at a gun show when I was 21 I decided I wanted a .45 XD. Well at the same time by father and brother decided they wanted to get conceal carry licenses and wanted me to join them in the class. So I did. I took my brand new .45 to take the test and I stood at the first line and fired the first shot. It was close range like 3 yards or maybe 5 yards I don't remember it's been a few years. But I squeezed off that first one and it surprised me and I completely missed the target paper. After that I settled down and did pretty good but I wasn't expecting the recoil or the weight as Moustang said.

I passed but along the way I cut the crud out of my thumb loading the fresh mag and finished with a bloody hand and gun. My fathers 9mm Beretta that was 30 year old jammed on him and he had to finish borrowing my gun.

Stuff happens

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 12/31/15 at 07:15 AM.
Old 1/8/16, 08:12 AM
FR500 Member

I've taken a beginners handgun course, and am in the process of renting various handguns before I make a purchase decision.

I tried a few of my friend's pistols a couple of weeks ago, all compacts....Sig .45, Sig 9mm, and a Glock 19. This week I've shot a Glock 17 and H&K VP9. So far I like the feel of the H&K best, but I plan on renting others before I pull the trigger (pun intended).

However, this followed me home yesterday. It's a Ruger Mini 14 chambered for .223 caliber. I plan on taking a beginners rifle course before I live fire it.

I chose the black synthetic body with stainless steel breech and barrel. It just so happens to match my Mustang!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Firearms question-sam_4237.jpg   Firearms question-063.jpg  
Old 1/8/16, 08:24 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Having shot various pistols over the years and owning and shooting a 9mm XD and a trooper issue 357 I got at a gun show when I was 21 I decided I wanted a .45 XD. Well at the same time by father and brother decided they wanted to get conceal carry licenses and wanted me to join them in the class. So I did. I took my brand new .45 to take the test and I stood at the first line and fired the first shot. It was close range like 3 yards or maybe 5 yards I don't remember it's been a few years. But I squeezed off that first one and it surprised me and I completely missed the target paper. After that I settled down and did pretty good but I wasn't expecting the recoil or the weight as Moustang said.

I passed but along the way I cut the crud out of my thumb loading the fresh mag and finished with a bloody hand and gun. My fathers 9mm Beretta that was 30 year old jammed on him and he had to finish borrowing my gun.

Stuff happens

My carry gun is a .45 XDM. I like it a lot, but my wife's .45 XDS is easier to carry concealed.
Old 1/8/16, 03:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tukatz
I shoot a Sig P320 9mm Subcompact and am surprised how light recoil is.
That is be cause it is 9 sillymeter...one step up from .22 rimfire.

(perfect if you are attacked by Ferret's)!
Old 1/8/16, 03:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
My carry gun is a .45 XDM. I like it a lot, but my wife's .45 XDS is easier to carry concealed.
45 ACP....230 grains of diplomacy....Jeff Cooper...."there is NO substitute"
Old 1/8/16, 03:55 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
When the time came to actually submit the form to DPS for the permit I decided I did not want the responsibility at that time of carrying the weapon and just decided not to get it. I'm not sure why but I just wasn't feeling it at the time. So if I ever get into trouble I'll just have to pray that someone else is there and is legally carrying. Probably not the smartest thing but I am in Texas so chances are good.

Quick Reply: Firearms question