Off-Topic Chatter Non-Vehicle Related Chat

All things Photography

Search this Thread

Old 8/25/14, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
2. I am wanting an ultra wide angle: 10-20, 10-22, and I'm intrigued by the Sigma 8-16 except for the fish eye look, would make using filters difficult. Same questions here. Looking at Sigma, Tamron, and Canon.

Thanks for any input.
I have a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide Angle lens which I highly recommend on a cropped sensor like your camera has. It is not a Fisheye but, for the price, it is a quality lens. In fact, I prefer it to the Nikon 10-24mm.

For the 70-200...I would stick with Canon. Maybe check out the f/4 version. I have tried third party lenses in that range, nothing beats the manufacturer for fast, zoom lenses, IMO.

Last edited by ststang; 8/25/14 at 07:22 PM.
Old 8/26/14, 06:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow some really nice shots, looks like some of you guys have some good photography skills.

I am looking to get a couple of lenses in the next 6-9 months or so, and would like to get some input. My skill level is, Amateur/hobbyist. Still learning a lot. I currently have a Canon Rebel, it's been a good camera to learn on. I'll look to upgrade it sometime too, but that's another conversation. I do not plan on going full frame either.

I'm wanting to get a 70-200 f2.8 with IS(image stabilization), I've started researching the Sigma and Tamron, and they are priced in the range that I want to pay. I've rented the White lens and it is very nice; however, I dont want to pay the White lens price.

For you members who have used the Sigma or the Tamron 70-200. How do you like them, pros/cons, would you purchase anything different now that you've owned it? "I should have gotten the other brand". Or you should really save for the Great White beast.

2. I am wanting an ultra wide angle: 10-20, 10-22, and I'm intrigued by the Sigma 8-16 except for the fish eye look, would make using filters difficult. Same questions here. Looking at Sigma, Tamron, and Canon.

Thanks for any input.
I have used both Sigma and Canon lenses. Actually in the set with Miriam earlier in this thread I used a Sigma 50-150 on a 7D. Canon's lenses are a bit more sharp and the auto focus seems to be quicker.

I also have the Sigma 10-22 wide angle. I don't use it all that often but it is a good one.

You are going at this the correct way. Keep the Rebel and get good glass and when you are ready get a new body. If you stay with the L lenses you can go full frame which is fairly expensive.
Old 8/26/14, 07:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow some really nice shots, looks like some of you guys have some good photography skills.

I am looking to get a couple of lenses in the next 6-9 months or so, and would like to get some input. My skill level is, Amateur/hobbyist. Still learning a lot. I currently have a Canon Rebel, it's been a good camera to learn on. I'll look to upgrade it sometime too, but that's another conversation. I do not plan on going full frame either.

I'm wanting to get a 70-200 f2.8 with IS(image stabilization), I've started researching the Sigma and Tamron, and they are priced in the range that I want to pay. I've rented the White lens and it is very nice; however, I dont want to pay the White lens price.

For you members who have used the Sigma or the Tamron 70-200. How do you like them, pros/cons, would you purchase anything different now that you've owned it? "I should have gotten the other brand". Or you should really save for the Great White beast.

Thanks for any input.
I have the 70-200 sigma 2.8 with OS ( same as IS).
I like it alot, though i kinda screwed mine up a bit but it still works pretty well.

I never tried the tamron or canon version. Tamron will be a little bit lower then the sigma. Version 1 of the canon should be about the same as the tamron and version 2 should be better.

couple shots i've taken with it

Standing alone by MurerImages, on Flickr

20140621-IMG_7304 by MurerImages, on Flickr

Digesting. by MurerImages, on Flickr

20140305-IMG_5585 by MurerImages, on Flickr
Old 8/26/14, 05:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by ststang
I have a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide Angle lens which I highly recommend on a cropped sensor like your camera has. It is not a Fisheye but, for the price, it is a quality lens. In fact, I prefer it to the Nikon 10-24mm.

For the 70-200...I would stick with Canon. Maybe check out the f/4 version. I have tried third party lenses in that range, nothing beats the manufacturer for fast, zoom lenses, IMO.
Originally Posted by bjbsav
I have used both Sigma and Canon lenses. Actually in the set with Miriam earlier in this thread I used a Sigma 50-150 on a 7D. Canon's lenses are a bit more sharp and the auto focus seems to be quicker.

I also have the Sigma 10-22 wide angle. I don't use it all that often but it is a good one.

You are going at this the correct way. Keep the Rebel and get good glass and when you are ready get a new body. If you stay with the L lenses you can go full frame which is fairly expensive.
Originally Posted by rmurer
I have the 70-200 sigma 2.8 with OS ( same as IS).
I like it alot, though i kinda screwed mine up a bit but it still works pretty well.

I never tried the tamron or canon version. Tamron will be a little bit lower then the sigma. Version 1 of the canon should be about the same as the tamron and version 2 should be better.

couple shots i've taken with it

r
Thanks for the replies Gentlemen, really good recommendations. I'm going to see if my local camera shop has any used versions they would let me 'rent' or borrow for a day to see how I like the lens.

On the 70-200, what are your thoughts around a used canon version 1. I've seen a couple in the classifieds (photography on the net) and they appeared to be in very good condition to near mint condition.
Old 8/27/14, 06:33 AM
Cobra R Member

Thanks for the replies Gentlemen, really good recommendations. I'm going to see if my local camera shop has any used versions they would let me 'rent' or borrow for a day to see how I like the lens.

On the 70-200, what are your thoughts around a used canon version 1. I've seen a couple in the classifieds (photography on the net) and they appeared to be in very good condition to near mint condition.
I bought my sigma used, so as long as you have faith in the buyer that the glass elements are in perfect condition then there is no problem buying used.
Old 8/27/14, 06:36 AM
Bullitt Member

I bought my sigma used, so as long as you have faith in the buyer that the glass elements are in perfect condition then there is no problem buying used.
I have had pretty good luck buying used. Although I had a guy send me a 50mm lens in an envelope one time. I will just say that didn't turn out very well. Which Sigma did you buy used? The 70-200?
Old 8/27/14, 07:02 AM

I have have very good luck buying used. Lenses, if taken care of, can last a long time. Check out keh.com to get an idea how much used lenses go for and the type of conditions they are rated at.

Last edited by ststang; 8/27/14 at 07:56 AM.
Old 8/27/14, 07:09 AM
Cobra R Member

I have had pretty good luck buying used. Although I had a guy send me a 50mm lens in an envelope one time. I will just say that didn't turn out very well. Which Sigma did you buy used? The 70-200?
yeah plus it came with sigma 2x extender.
Old 8/27/14, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

yeah plus it came with sigma 2x extender.
I have really never got into the extenders. I do have the 150-500mm Sigma that on occasion I use for field sports such as football and rugby.
Old 8/27/14, 08:04 AM
Cobra R Member

I have really never got into the extenders. I do have the 150-500mm Sigma that on occasion I use for field sports such as football and rugby.
Yeah I'm not really a fan of it now either, the 2x and 70-200 combined make for some horrible IQ. I might end up selling the 70-200 after i sent it out for repairs for something a little longer in the 500 range because I'm more interested in nature stuff. So a longer zoom might be in bag in the future.

Though I like the IQ of the 70-200 and its a nice lens.
Old 8/27/14, 09:30 AM
Bullitt Member

A agree. The Sigma 50-150 does a great job also.
Old 8/27/14, 01:27 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i purchase a used D3100 nikon quite a while back.. day time it works fine, have no issue. but at night its auto focus will never work and even when i do manual focus. it looks good in eyefinder but pics comes blur. i read that stock lens dotn work good in low light, so got a used 35mm prime lens. i m still having the same issue. it got to a point i stopped taking pics
Old 8/27/14, 01:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
i purchase a used D3100 nikon quite a while back.. day time it works fine, have no issue. but at night its auto focus will never work and even when i do manual focus. it looks good in eyefinder but pics comes blur. i read that stock lens dotn work good in low light, so got a used 35mm prime lens. i m still having the same issue. it got to a point i stopped taking pics
At night or in low light you are shooting at slower shutter speeds. You will need a tripod or you will need to increase the shutter speed. To do this you will have to open the lens as wide as possible. This is done by adjusting you aperture on the Nikon camera. Do do this put it in A mode which is aperture priority and and adjust it to the lowest number. You can also do this in Manual mode and adjust the aperture and shutter speed. There is one other option which is changing the cameras ISO. The higher the ISO number the more light will get to the sensor. The problem is the higher the ISO the more grainy pictures will come out.

This is just a very basic quick lesson and I hope it helps.
Old 8/27/14, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by CiniZter
Kit lenses which come with Nikons usually are slow (f/3.5 to f/5.6) and tough to take hand held photos at night with. Pick up a 50mm f/1.8 which will help greatly and are not too expensive. Another way is to use a tripod and long exposures to capture a dark/night scene. (Like Ben just said!)

Here is an example using a tripod during a long (6 second) exposure. In this case, I wanted the water to blur. The people kept still long enough.

Last edited by ststang; 8/27/14 at 01:48 PM.
Old 8/27/14, 02:09 PM

Let me add that Nikon cameras have settings for Auto ISO. Which means you set the base ISO which it will try to keep but, as the light fades or you go inside a building, it will automatically increase the camera's ISO to compensate. Check your manual on how the D3100 does this.
Old 8/28/14, 01:41 PM
Bullitt Member

I found this guide.

Name:  Guide_zpsa9f02e20.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  95.6 KB
Old 8/28/14, 05:20 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I found this guide.

I like that guide LOL

Been looking at 7D and 60D again lately. Some so so deals to be had online. I read that the 7D can have too much color/light noise.
Old 8/28/14, 06:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
I like that guide LOL

Been looking at 7D and 60D again lately. Some so so deals to be had online. I read that the 7D can have too much color/light noise.
Both seem to be deeply discounted to me, the 60d is down to 699, and the 7d 999. Very tempting at those prices.
Old 8/28/14, 06:43 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Both seem to be deeply discounted to me, the 60d is down to 699, and the 7d 999. Very tempting at those prices.
yeah. I had a 7D a while back but but paid 1500 for the kit. I sold the body a year later for 900 because i just didn't use it and found it complex. The weight and size of the camera suited me though. The 60D was a bit smallish for my liking. That being said, the 60D has the flip/rotational view screen whereas the 7D was fixed. I might go with a 60D later this year if i get a camera again. Then my lenses will fit it.
Old 8/28/14, 07:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
yeah. I had a 7D a while back but but paid 1500 for the kit. I sold the body a year later for 900 because i just didn't use it and found it complex. The weight and size of the camera suited me though. The 60D was a bit smallish for my liking. That being said, the 60D has the flip/rotational view screen whereas the 7D was fixed. I might go with a 60D later this year if i get a camera again. Then my lenses will fit it.
Both cameras are great. I personally don't like the flip screen. The more moving parts the more to break. Although I use my equipment everyday.

Quick Reply: All things Photography