General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Will the Camaro Survive?

Search this Thread

Old 11/10/08, 01:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
This is the issue: a bailout may do nothing to force GM into greater efficiency. On the other hand, filing for bankruptcy protection could enable GM to get rid of underperforming brands and emerge as a smaller, more tightly run company.

As to the top management - I'm not sure who should be let go. While some strategies have clearly failed, I think one can also make a case that GM is producing some of the best quality - and most interesting - cars in its entire history right now (who among us wouldn't love to own a new CTS-V?). So I don't know how much of this is bad strategy, and how much of it is the right strategy at the wrong time, aka too late in the game.

One definitely bad strategy, IMHO, is too **** many brands and duplication across brands. GM only needs two (three at the most) marques in North America anymore. If they want to keep Buick for China - and can do so efficiently - then fine. But Pontiac and Saturn should go. Since many of the Saturns are rebadged Opels, anyway, just rebadge the most desirable of them as Chevys and find a way to take the Euro engineering and build them in North America...like Ford is going to do with the Fiesta.
See, I disagree with doing away with Pontiac. If they would do things right, Pontiac could survive but it seems they don't want to do things right. Their current strategy of making the same vehicles and putting different grilles on them is just stupid. I feel GMC and Hummer should flat out go. Saturn dealerships should be rolled into Chevy dealerships and the two should be sold in concert, Chevy with the trucks, SUVs and family oriented cars (including Corvette and depending on its survival Camaro) and Saturn still with Saturn badges being sold to younger buyers and cost concious buyers. Then combine the caddy dealers with the pontiacs. Cadillac for luxury buyers and Pontiac for performance buyers. Pontiacs offerings would need to be pared down, but I believe it could work. Saab could be sold along side the Caddys and Pontiacs, but Saab sales are fairly modest at this point so I'm not sure whether to cut that piece of the business or not. Without a doubt though IMO, Hummer GMC and Buick go today. Anything Buick makes that is having any sort of success could be rebadged a Chevy and put into those dealerships.