General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Uncovered! Hyundai Genesis Coupe = Mustang Competition

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/07, 01:48 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I was thinking this was one of those "blind surveys" where auto companies take cars and cover up their badges and see what people think they are. I guess I can be wrong, but it looks kinda weird without any markings.

I think you are right it looks like the badges are covered up. My guess its one of those survey things. I find it funny because, honestly, who doesn't know what the mustang is?
Old 11/8/07, 02:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Sorry, but it's a Hyundai. My wife had a Tiburon. Never, ever again will we own a Hyundai. I don't care if it has 500HP and sells for $10,000, I'll walk before I'll own another one. Flame away if you want but that's my personal opinion and nothing will make me budge from it.
Old 11/8/07, 02:23 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
hmm, i don't think i could resist 500hp for $10k. unless it was built by Chery.

But all in all i would never even cross shop this with the mustang.
Old 11/8/07, 02:50 PM
Cam Tease

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TomServo92
Flame away if you want but that's my personal opinion and nothing will make me budge from it.

Wow, read that a few times. Your open-mindedness astounds me.
Old 11/8/07, 02:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan
Wow, read that a few times. Your open-mindedness astounds me.
Don't you have any strong opinions on a particular subject? One so strong that nobody will sway you?

It's actually quite simple: we paid good money for the Tib, it turned into a very, very bad experience and left us with some very strong negative feelings toward the brand. End of story.
Old 11/8/07, 04:44 PM
Cam Tease

Yeah, I've opinions unswayable by what anyone else will say, however not too many of them are based on a single experience that precludes me from considering other factors (such as the actual substantive improvement on Hyundai's part year after year).
Old 11/8/07, 04:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Yeah, I've opinions unswayable by what anyone else will say, however not too many of them are based on a single experience that precludes me from considering other factors (such as the actual substantive improvement on Hyundai's part year after year).
So you've never bought a product and had such a horrible experience that you refuse to buy it again? Also, I paid my hard earned money to Hyundai already. Why do you think I'm wrong to refuse to do so again? For that matter, why do f***ing care if I don't like Hyundai and refuse to buy another?
Old 11/8/07, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

guys just relax.
1. this is the internet
2. it's no big deal (see no. 1)

this genesis looks cool.
i wonder what the 1/4 mile 0-60 times are.
and if there will be as good an aftermarket as there is for the mustang.
Old 11/8/07, 05:20 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well it's certainly uglier than I thought it would be, but there are plenty of worse things out there.

Powertrainwise, its ok, same with price. I don't see whats wrong with $25K for their V6 car, its still got (supposedly) 300hp. I imagine performance will be on par with the Stang, possibly a little bit worse. Definately not overwhelmingly better.

I'm really interested in seeing the V8 sedan version though.

Overall, its ok. Better than a FWD rice rocket, at least this one, the right wheels are turning and the engine is mounter properly
Old 11/8/07, 07:08 PM
Cam Tease

Originally Posted by TomServo92
Why do you think I'm wrong to refuse to do so again? For that matter, why do f***ing care if I don't like Hyundai and refuse to buy another?

Easy there buddy...you're the one that volunteered to voice your "I don't like Hyundai, therefore I don't like the Genesis" opinion...if you didn't want your stance considered/commented on, why again did you post?
Old 11/8/07, 07:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Easy there buddy...you're the one that volunteered to voice your "I don't like Hyundai, therefore I don't like the Genesis" opinion...if you didn't want your stance considered/commented on, why again did you post?
That's why I underlined "personal opinion" in my original post. I'm not advocating a particular stance (i.e. "YOU shouldn't buy Hyundai because ...") that would require a rebuttal. Moreover, you are the one that decided to make a general comment on my open-mindedness without knowing anything about the situation that led to this very specific, strongly held opinion. If you had merely asked "why do you feel that way about Hyundais?" instead of making a condescending remark, we wouldn't be having this heated exchange right now.
Old 11/8/07, 07:33 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Everybody thought the coupe market was dead, then the 05 Mustang hit and sold like .10 cent tickets to a Jessica Alba vs. Jessica Biel jello wrestling match and now everybody wants a piece of the action. So like evey great idea that comes along, evrybody is gonna try and make a pretender to the throne, the market is gonna inflate then collapse and when the dust settles it will be a coupla cars again.
Old 11/8/07, 07:39 PM
Cam Tease

Haha, a few things: the exchange is only heated from one side and I've heard your rant about your Tib before, so I figured it be safe to cut straight to my condenscending remark. To help you see where I'm coming from, here's a little story you might be able to appreciate. An uncle of mine bought a Mazda6 two years ago--the thing was a complete lemon and had all sorts of issues, eventually driving him to get rid of it. Believe it or not, he didn't write off the entire brand as inconcievable crap and express this new (very rationally grounded) personal opinion on automotive message boards.
Old 11/8/07, 07:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Haha, a few things: the exchange is only heated from one side and I've heard your rant about your Tib before, so I figured it be safe to cut straight to my condenscending remark. To help you see where I'm coming from, here's a little story you might be able to appreciate. An uncle of mine bought a Mazda6 two years ago--the thing was a complete lemon and had all sorts of issues, eventually driving him to get rid of it. Believe it or not, he didn't write off the entire brand as inconcievable crap and express this new (very rationally grounded) personal opinion on automotive message boards.
So in other words, you decided to bait me into this knowing full well I would react this way. How nice...

Good for your uncle. I'm glad he's more forgiving than I am. Maybe (and it's a remote maybe at this point in time) I may reconsider Hyundai.
Old 11/9/07, 12:28 AM
FR500 Member

...don't care for the rear quarter window treatment. As for the rest of the car, will adopt a wait and see attitude. Sadly, unlike the Detroit automakers, Hyundai could actually be giving the Japanese manufacturers if not nightmares, at least some shivers. IIRC, the minivan (forgot the name), and the Veracruz got some pretty favorable ratings in some car rags.
Old 11/9/07, 07:14 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW - I wouldn't own a Hyundai either. I'm closed minded, thick headed, end of story. Why would anyone else care?
Old 11/9/07, 09:50 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
For some reason that quarter window makes me think of the BMW M-Coupe, although I don't know why. Their quarter window doesn't dip the way that one does.

Maybe because their tail lights sort of look like that window? I dunno.

I'd like to see more pics of the car, from different angles. I might even go see one at the dealership, just for kicks. Not gonna buy one though, I like the Mustang way too much to get rid of it (ever).
Old 11/9/07, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
Man, it seems every automaker has a reticle aimed straight at the mustang.
Exactly!! But on the other hand, this Hyundai looks just like the new Infiniti G37, a spittin image of it. Hyundai is known for doing that, copying every other automakers designs, and useing them for their cars. That article stated that the v6 should crank out 300hp with a starting price of 25,900. So with a few options you are probably looking at around 30 grand for a that car, but in reality, you can get the MUSTANG GT for about the same price with a V8!! Plus, IMO the MUSTANG looks twice as good as that car! I would think it would be a 350x or G35 "fighter" than a MUSTANG "Fighter". Just my 2 cents!~!
Old 11/9/07, 04:02 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I like it..I've always liked the new Tibs and this car is just a continuation of a good look
Old 11/9/07, 09:55 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by burningman
I like it..I've always liked the new Tibs and this car is just a continuation of a good look
IMO, Pininfarina should have had more input on the exterior design of this car. The last one looked heavily influenced by the Ferrari 456 GT.

Quick Reply: Uncovered! Hyundai Genesis Coupe = Mustang Competition