General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Toyota snubs the south.. builds in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/05, 07:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Red Star@July 7, 2005, 8:23 PM
Andy, stop hatin' on Toyota.
I'm not hating on toyota Zoran, I'm hating on what was said. Granted I do not like toyota at all, but as you can see from my comment I referred to the ceo and Gerry Fedchun not the company. Now obviously this has increased my dislike of the comapny but the comment was a stereotype and was completely uncalled for. Even though the ceo was not the one to make the comment he stood by it basically by not correcting the situation. An accomplice per se.

It would be like someone making that same comment about where you used to live in Serbia. I am pretty sure you would have not appreciated it at all and righfully so.

I would have been outraged had it come from Honda, Subaru, Nissan, GM, Chrysler, Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagon, or even Ford! No matter who it came from it would have still upset me. I have family in the South. The comment that was made was even borderline racist.

The truth also is that toyota just praised their Huntsville plant for such great productivity and now they insult that very same state.

I am not hating Zoran, but I will not stand for slanderous stereotypes being thrown around. Completely uncalled for from anyone
Old 7/8/05, 08:27 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by holderca1@July 8, 2005, 5:04 AM
Definitely not defending grade schools or high schools in this country. But there is a reason that a lot of people come from overseas to go to college in the U.S.
Yeah, because college diploma from US college is good anywhere in the world. You can finish college in the USA and then go and work anywhere in the world. On the other hand, Serbian college diploma is only good in Serbia, nowhere else in the world.
Things just work here (USA) differently than they do in most other countries. For example, where I'm from people that don't go to college right after high school usually don't come back to go at all. There are no evening or online classes. Another difference is that in Serbia you have to decided after 8th grade what your major of styding will be. In USA you don't have to do that until you start college.
Old 7/8/05, 08:29 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@July 8, 2005, 7:25 AM
I'm not hating on toyota Zoran, I'm hating on what was said. Granted I do not like toyota at all, but as you can see from my comment I referred to the ceo and Gerry Fedchun not the company. Now obviously this has increased my dislike of the comapny but the comment was a stereotype and was completely uncalled for. Even though the ceo was not the one to make the comment he stood by it basically by not correcting the situation. An accomplice per se.

It would be like someone making that same comment about where you used to live in Serbia. I am pretty sure you would have not appreciated it at all and righfully so.

I would have been outraged had it come from Honda, Subaru, Nissan, GM, Chrysler, Mercedes, BMW, Volkswagon, or even Ford! No matter who it came from it would have still upset me. I have family in the South. The comment that was made was even borderline racist.

The truth also is that toyota just praised their Huntsville plant for such great productivity and now they insult that very same state.

I am not hating Zoran, but I will not stand for slanderous stereotypes being thrown around. Completely uncalled for from anyone
I know that feeling (read what I wrote about Malcolm Bricklin), but I don't know why you care so much. You know its not true and so does many other people. Why is that not good enough for you?

BTW, Toyota becamed sponsor of Red Star Belgrade few days ago so now I like them even more.
Old 7/8/05, 09:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Red Star@July 8, 2005, 10:32 AM
I know that feeling (read what I wrote about Malcolm Bricklin), but I don't know why you care so much. You know its not true and so does many other people. Why is that not good enough for you?

BTW, Toyota becamed sponsor of Red Star Belgrade few days ago so now I like them even more.
I did in fact read what happened with Malcolm Bricklin and that would have peeved me off had I been you.

What's not good enough is that I was brought up by my family to not think that way to the best of my ability. We all have stereotypical thoughts now and again, its the way life is. The reason I'm perturbed by it is that it is not right. While it may be good enough for some people to just ignore it, I'm not like that. If I think something is wrong I'm going to stand up and say what I feel about it. I certainly won't lose any sleep over it but I will still express my opinion on it.

While Brad, Scott, Doug, I, and many others know that this statement couldn't be farther from the truth we still are going to express our ideals about it.

Another reason it bothers me is that through all of the leaps and bounds that humanity as a whole has made throughout the ages we still cannot get through the brick wall of stereotypes and racism. If we just shrug off comments like this, history will repeat itself. The world will just tear itself apart more and more.

Thanks for asking Zoran. I am more than happy to explain my reasoning. Thanks for also being respectful
Old 7/8/05, 11:01 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Race doesn't even biologically exist. It's a man made idea (and a stupid one at that). So when someone uses it to make fun of other's, it's just idiotic
Old 7/8/05, 11:05 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@July 8, 2005, 1:04 PM
Race doesn't even biologically exist. It's a man made idea (and a stupid one at that). So when someone uses it to make fun of other's, it's just idiotic
Wow Lalo, you've enlightened me again I won't say the monkey thing cause I know there will be a pic involved :P Thanks for the insight! I never really thought that ideal. Very interesting.
Old 7/8/05, 11:17 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by thezeppelin8@July 8, 2005, 11:04 AM
Exactly, its just evolution. Skin color, hair color, and eye color is all affected by thousands of years of evolution and how intense the sun is at that particular location. That is why natives of areas closer to the equator have darker eyes, darker hair, and darker skin than those of people near the polar regions.
Old 7/8/05, 11:19 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@July 8, 2005, 10:08 AM
Wow Lalo, you've enlightened me again I won't say the monkey thing cause I know there will be a pic involved :P Thanks for the insight! I never really thought that ideal. Very interesting.
for your enlightning purposes, a link and a quote! :P

http://www.aaanet.org/stmts/racepp.htm

"Race" thus evolved as a worldview, a body of prejudgments that distorts our ideas about human differences and group behavior. Racial beliefs constitute myths about the diversity in the human species and about the abilities and behavior of people homogenized into "racial" categories. The myths fused behavior and physical features together in the public mind, impeding our comprehension of both biological variations and cultural behavior, implying that both are genetically determined. Racial myths bear no relationship to the reality of human capabilities or behavior. Scientists today find that reliance on such folk beliefs about human differences in research has led to countless errors.
Old 7/8/05, 11:24 AM
I'm people, and I like.

so any luck with getting this ignorant statement on the radio?
Old 7/8/05, 11:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Carlos Mencia the comedian said it once very well, "Can you tell by the nostrils, skin pigment, and bone structure just by a quick glance where that person is from? No, so why so we make such a big deal in seperating ourselves?"

This makes the comment that the guy made all the more perturbing :angry:

It's really sad when we "pee-ons" for lack of a better word can realize that making comments like that are not right, but people who are supposed to be educated to a high degree do so.

Remember when Tiger Woods won his first open? One of the other golfer's said "What are we going to have watermelon and chicken after each game now?"
That sickened me. How can people have so much hatred towards others with no reason at all? It's quite baffling.
Old 7/8/05, 11:43 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Very true Andy
Old 7/8/05, 12:38 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I forwarded the story to some very influential people, and it eventually found its way to the governor of Alabama. Here's a rebuttal article:

AL.com
Old 7/8/05, 12:46 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by TheMustangSource@July 8, 2005, 1:41 PM
I forwarded the story to some very influential people, and it eventually found its way to the governor of Alabama. Here's a rebuttal article:

AL.com
Thats awesome Brad, thanks! Maybe someone will contact this Fedchun guy and get his feedback.
Old 7/8/05, 12:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Good going Brad Bravo!!!

I guess we wait and see if Mr. Fedchun and Mr. Watanabe make formal apologies.

Although Watanabe did not say anything he did not correct the matter immediatley which is also not good.

Old 7/8/05, 12:55 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Great job Brad!
Old 7/8/05, 01:10 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job Brad...

Don't you hate it when those idiot Canadians open their mouths?
Old 7/8/05, 01:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Galaxie@July 8, 2005, 3:13 PM
Good job Brad...

Don't you hate it when those idiot Canadians open their mouths?
Great sense of humor
Old 7/8/05, 01:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@July 8, 2005, 11:32 AM
Carlos Mencia the comedian
That guy is hilarious, laughed through the whole DVD, definitely worth checking out. I have to warn ya though, like most comedians he uses offensive languange and he makes fun of everybody, and I mean everybody.
Old 7/8/05, 01:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by holderca1@July 8, 2005, 3:26 PM
That guy is hilarious, laughed through the whole DVD, definitely worth checking out. I have to warn ya though, like most comedians he uses offensive languange and he makes fun of everybody, and I mean everybody.
"Carlos KNOWS!!!!!"
Old 7/8/05, 02:57 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by holderca1@July 8, 2005, 12:26 PM
So he's an equal opportunity type of guy?
I gotta watch it :P

Quick Reply: Toyota snubs the south.. builds in Canada