General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Toyota snubs the south.. builds in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 7/7/05, 11:26 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Scothew@July 7, 2005, 1:07 PM
I e-mailed one of the local morning shows about it. Beaner and Ken on 100.5. Beaner is usually a highly opinionated person and he cant stand stuff like this so i'm sure he will bring it up at some point. If nothing else, its going to **** a few southern'rs off at 'yota and cost em a few sales.
A lot of people on Autoweek forums were outraged. One guy said he's gonna sell his 4runner now.

It pisses me off too and I'm not from the south. Its just all very arrogant

Way to go Scott Let us know what comes of it okay?
Old 7/7/05, 12:04 PM
GT Member

i do have to say though, if they look at the people in their Hville plant and think they hired illiterate people, they need to work on their screening process.
Old 7/7/05, 12:59 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure that that was just an ignorant comment made by a fool. With all the new industry coming to Alabama, there must be something good going on down there.

The reasons are simple as to why the plant is coming to Canada.... $$$

-With the exchange rate, labor costs are still lower than in the US
-Government-subsidized healthcare, further reducing costs
-$150 Million or so grant from Provincial and Federal governments
-The new plant is located about 25 minutes from their big Canadain operations and they can share administration, saving more company money.
Old 7/7/05, 01:49 PM
Cobra R Member

ya, i'm surprised there wasn't more emphasis on the health care system. "Legacy costs" are one of the big problems for the US auto industry right now, right?
Old 7/7/05, 02:52 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How exactly does an illiterate person get hired in the first place. Don't they require at least a high school diploma or a GED, kind of hard to get either of those without being able to read.
Old 7/7/05, 03:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by holderca1@July 7, 2005, 4:55 PM
How exactly does an illiterate person get hired in the first place. Don't they require at least a high school diploma or a GED, kind of hard to get either of those without being able to read.
Exactly! Maybe its the toyota ceo's who need to go back to school since they can't think 5 feet in front of themselves and seem to like to open mouth and insert foot. They can take Mr. Fedchun with them too...
Old 7/7/05, 03:36 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Scothew@July 7, 2005, 11:40 AM
Forgot to add, Andy (1999 black 35th gt) is the one who found that. It just got me off my rocker and im slightly pissed now.
Just slighlty?
Old 7/7/05, 03:37 PM
GTR Member

I think its outrageous they said such things, but i won't ever buy a non-ford anyways.
Old 7/7/05, 06:20 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@July 7, 2005, 3:06 PM
Exactly! Maybe its the toyota ceo's who need to go back to school since they can't think 5 feet in front of themselves and seem to like to open mouth and insert foot. They can take Mr. Fedchun with them too...
Andy, stop hatin' on Toyota.
Old 7/7/05, 07:51 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by holderca1@July 7, 2005, 2:55 PM
Easy. Just show him a pic of your avatar!

BMW has a plant in South Cariolina and they seem to be doing just fine.

I know Andy's got this thing for Toyota and with this announcement plus their recent comment about raising prices to "help" their domestic competion, he may get the results he's been looking for. Hmm, raising prices, and relocating to an "offshore" location ( no offense to my Candian friends; you know what I mean) to take advantage of lower overall costs, sounds a lot to me like pure profit motive. Since most of us live in the bastion of capitalism, we really have nothing to complain about. But the buying public votes with its checkbook and it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

I've got nothing nothing against Toyota. In fact, I fall more into Red Star's camp evn though I'm way more than twice his age. I think they make great but dull cars. It hasn't always been true, but their marketing guys figured out a long time ago where their bread and butter comes from, and for that you have to give them a lot of credit.

But I wonder what will happen to Toyota when all this slowly filters out to the buying public.
Old 7/7/05, 07:59 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by Red Star@July 7, 2005, 7:23 PM
Andy, stop hatin' on Toyota.
You seriously need to stop, their is no reason for you to constantly make remarks because we are mad at a corporation, i am sure you would not appreciate it if the CEO of Toyota called you dumb and illiterate
Old 7/7/05, 08:33 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Toyota's defence, it was not an employee of Toyota that made the comment, but the president of the Automotive Parts Manufacterer's Association. I just thought it would be worth repeating.

The guy stuck his foot in his mouth, plain and simple.

"The level of the workforce in general is so high that the training program you need for people, even for people who have not worked in a Toyota plant before, is minimal compared to what you have to go through in the southeastern United States," said Gerry Fedchun, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers' Association, whose members will see increased business with the new plant.
Old 7/7/05, 08:34 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Fordracing200@July 7, 2005, 8:02 PM
You seriously need to stop, their is no reason for you to constantly make remarks because we are mad at a corporation, i am sure you would not appreciate it if the CEO of Toyota called you dumb and illiterate
Doug, he'd be half right. I can read a little . And if I don't miss my bet, you're a couple of years away from your license, let alone a vehicle purchase.

You have missed my posts about my 1986 MR2 and I'm not going back there now.

Chill, mi amigo.
Old 7/7/05, 08:37 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

If you want it to, it'll get around to the right people.
Old 7/7/05, 08:41 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by Fordracing200@July 7, 2005, 8:02 PM
No, I would not appreciate it, but I wouldn't care much either.
For example, do you know who Malcom Bricklin is? In case you're not familiar, he's the guy who wanted to bring Chinese car (Cherry) to the USA. He's also guy who brought Yugo in USA in the late 1980s. So when he decided to bring Cherry to the States he spoke about Yugo. He said that people that made Yugo are un-educated and that they don't know the basics and that's the reason why Yugo failed. Yes, I was hurt because I knew that wasn't true because for me finishing 8th grade in Serbia was 10 times harder than finishing college in the USA (I'm not saying that Serbs are smarter, I'm saying that schools in Serbia are harder).
I just didn't care because I knew he was wrong and so did many other people. But I was also really happy when I heard that GM rejected his idea of Chinese car in the USA.
Old 7/7/05, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Red Star@July 7, 2005, 8:44 PM
Yes, I was hurt because I knew that wasn't true because for me finishing 8th grade in Serbia was 10 times harder than finishing college in the USA (I'm not saying that Serbs are smarter, I'm saying that schools in Serbia are harder).
Where exactly did you go to college? There is a broad range in difficulty at different colleges. For example, Harvard, MIT, and Yale are a tad bit harder than a local community college.
Old 7/7/05, 09:56 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by holderca1@July 7, 2005, 9:18 PM
Where exactly did you go to college? There is a broad range in difficulty at different colleges. For example, Harvard, MIT, and Yale are a tad bit harder than a local community college.
I just graduated from Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC) and now I'm starting Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE). MSOE is one of the best colleges in the state. Schools in general are a lot harder in Serbia than they are in the USA. Most of high school years I didn't study at all because I knew that stuff from my school in Serbia.
Old 7/7/05, 10:07 PM
I'm people, and I like.

It's true, U.S. schools are a little behind on some subjects when compared to other coutries. Mexican schools are always two or three years ahead of U.S. schools in Math, and don't get me started with the Japanese :P
Old 7/7/05, 10:55 PM
Cobra Member

Yep, I know about Bricklin. And yep, many schools outside the US are much more difficult than what we have here. I can't speak to Serbia but I suggest you skeptics look at Japan and India.

If we keep cuttimg our education budgets for schools--and California's one billion dollar cut is an example, we'll be buried. Thank you. Arnold.

We need to wake up to this. It's like the old Sputnik days.
Old 7/8/05, 05:01 AM

Originally posted by Red Star@July 7, 2005, 9:59 PM
I just graduated from Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC) and now I'm starting Milwaukee School of Engineering (MSOE). MSOE is one of the best colleges in the state. Schools in general are a lot harder in Serbia than they are in the USA. Most of high school years I didn't study at all because I knew that stuff from my school in Serbia.
Definitely not defending grade schools or high schools in this country. But there is a reason that a lot of people come from overseas to go to college in the U.S.

Quick Reply: Toyota snubs the south.. builds in Canada