Old 12/1/11, 09:39 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And here is Scion.

Old 12/1/11, 10:13 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't believe I'm excited to see and drive a Scion. Excuse me, a Sci-ubar-on.
Old 12/1/11, 11:50 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Automagically
Mazda MX-5 Touring MSRP $25,500

Direct competition. Seems fair priced.
Direct competition, but different markets IMO. Scion is branded as the highschooler/college kid brand. Starting at $26K seems a bit steep for what you get.

V6 mustang is significantly cheaper. And the scion interior pic Zoran posted looks pretty low-rent
Old 12/1/11, 12:02 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

This Scion doesn't really have much advantage over tC, except maybe for RWD, but that's not worth it $7,000.
Old 12/1/11, 12:54 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FAP_Zastava_Ikarbus
This Scion doesn't really have much advantage over tC, except maybe for RWD, but that's not worth it $7,000.
That's my thinking too. It's a cool little car for sure. But what am I getting for my money?
Old 12/1/11, 12:57 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by Automagically
I can't believe I'm excited to see and drive a Scion. Excuse me, a Sci-ubar-on.
my thoughts exactly lol
Old 12/1/11, 03:48 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by FAP_Zastava_Ikarbus
By advantage, do you mean overall price or room? Performance?

Performance will out weigh the tC. Price may not. It's going to be a tough sell for sure. But I think it will have to be driven to be appreciated.

As far as price comparison to Mustang, you are only getting the output of the V6. Other than that you get an even chintzier interior and terrible seats. So the Scion edges out on the standard avail options. Until the 2013 V6 offers the Recaro option then you up the ante with a performance package to boot.

So it's still easy to see how the Mustang wins out. But it still comes down to driving dynamic. I won't judge it until we can get into one.

I might even agree that the market for the Scion and Mazda are not the same. But then you are judging Scion the brand not FR-S the car. Please enlighten me on what the market for the Miata is. Say enthusiast all you want but stereotypes are around for a reason. We would all like to think that spec Miata is the best thing in the world but if that were true then Miata would be the only sports car sold.
Old 12/1/11, 08:46 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I think it's overpriced in general, both in the USA and in Europe.
This car costs even more in Europe, at 28,000 euros (close to $40,000).

If I have to have a small RWD coupe, hell I would rather spend $26,000 on a Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 (350 hp). Although Genesis does weight close to 600 lbs more.
Old 12/1/11, 10:21 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Maybe I'm just too accustomed to Mustangs. But for a car costing around $25K+, I would expect it to have more power. Regardless of type (car/truck/hatch/sedan).
Old 12/1/11, 11:12 PM
Post *****

Fair point, but for $25K you're also getting a car that has a lot less excess fat on it than the Mustang. Lighter weight makes each individual pony under the hood more worthwhile
Old 12/2/11, 06:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
Fair point, but for $25K you're also getting a car that has a lot less excess fat on it than the Mustang. Lighter weight makes each individual pony under the hood more worthwhile
Plus the mods you put on it will be even better if you start at such a low weight.
Old 12/2/11, 07:20 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Hot Toyota GT 86 planned

Toyota is already hard at work evaluating a high performance version of the new Toyota GT 86 sporting coupe. Chief engineer Tetsuo Tada says that not only is a supercharged GT 86 envisaged, test cars have already been made and are being evaluated by Toyota Racing Developments, the Japanese giant’s in house tuning division.
Tada-san favours the supercharger approach because it is simpler to achieve than increasing engine size and doesn’t wreck throttle response as turbocharging might. Indeed Toyota says that turbocharging along with four-wheel drive and wide tyres are what make sports cars boring to drive.

Supercharging is also a key competence for TRD which has been offering this kind of forced induction as an aftermarket kit for Toyotas since 1998. He would not be drawn on what kind of power a supercharged GT 86 might develop but Toyota is known to consider the car’s chassis could easily handle an additional 50bhp to go with the 197bhp already generated by its Subaru 2-litre flat four motor, a view with which, having driven the car, we wholly concur. However he says the TRD is also looking at ways of modifying the suspension to cope with the extra power, raising the possibility of a still more substantial power hike.

TRD’s most popular supercharger conversion is applied to the American market Tacoma pick up, boosting its 4-litre V6 engine from 233bhp to 301bhp suggesting that a 280bhp GT 86 with, critically, a massive boost in the low down torque the car currently lacks would be easily achieved. Even in the unlikely event that all the modifications added 100kg to the weight of the car, its power to weight ratio would still at least equal that of the 326bhp Nissan 370Z, a car capable of hitting 62mph from rest in 5.3sec and recording a top speed of 155mph. The standard GT 86 needs around 6.8sec and does 143mph. It is not yet known whether, if approved, the supercharged GT 86 would be offered as an aftermarket pack or as a model in its own right.

Tada also confirmed that it was so important to his team that even the standard GT 86 drifted properly that special tests were incorporated into the car’s development programme specifically for this purpose, ‘the first time this has ever been done on any Toyota.’

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/260343/

Old 12/2/11, 09:17 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I know it's supposed to be small and sporty, but c'mon, a Yugo has more space in the back seats and trunk than this.

Old 12/2/11, 11:15 AM

Too many of these critiques are quantity based ("not enough size/hp/comfort features...") that I think misses the more basic point of these cars, the driving experience.

Much like the Miata, it isn't simply how fast these cars go but rather, how these cars go fast, which I suspect will be spectacularly. While they won't generate hero numbers to brag about at the bar, they will be so fun to drive that that's what you will still be doing rather than sitting at a bar regaling the gathered masses about the four-figure HP numbers of your ShootFire 500000 and its ability to beat superluminal neutrinos down the 1/4 mile.

For those who do weigh their performance by the pound, errr, HP, undoubtedly there will be hi-po versions down the line and both Subaru and Toyota have evidenced their capability to make very fast cars.

While these cars may only tangentally compete with the Mustang, I do think the NextStang will focus even more on balance, dynamics and the overall performance driving experience rather than the simple broad-axe approach of yore. Not to say they won't still be fast, but their driving appeal will go well beyond simply being fast.
Old 12/2/11, 11:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by rhumb
Too many of these critiques are quantity based ("not enough size/hp/comfort features...") that I think misses the more basic point of these cars, the driving experience.

Much like the Miata, it isn't simply how fast these cars go but rather, how these cars go fast, which I suspect will be spectacularly. While they won't generate hero numbers to brag about at the bar, they will be so fun to drive that that's what you will still be doing rather than sitting at a bar regaling the gathered masses about the four-figure HP numbers of your ShootFire 500000 and its ability to beat superluminal neutrinos down the 1/4 mile.

For those who do weigh their performance by the pound, errr, HP, undoubtedly there will be hi-po versions down the line and both Subaru and Toyota have evidenced their capability to make very fast cars.

While these cars may only tangentally compete with the Mustang, I do think the NextStang will focus even more on balance, dynamics and the overall performance driving experience rather than the simple broad-axe approach of yore. Not to say they won't still be fast, but their driving appeal will go well beyond simply being fast.
This
Old 12/2/11, 11:45 AM
Cobra Member

This is bascially Subaru/Toyota's(probably more Subaru's because of the boxer 4) rendition of a RWD pony car. The dimensions such as height, and width are near identical the the original Mustang and the Fox body Mustang. They could have made a 2 seater, but they went to the extra effort to make it a 2+2. Of course it's shorter in length as it was designed for boxer 4 engine and not a V8 or V6.

Of course like Hyundai did with the Genesis coupe, they will deny that they had the Mustang in mind.
Old 12/2/11, 12:19 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Wow, that is the tiniest and most uncomfortable looking back seats I have ever seen. Why not just make it a 2 seater...???
Old 12/2/11, 12:53 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
Wow, that is the tiniest and most uncomfortable looking back seats I have ever seen. Why not just make it a 2 seater...???

s197 Mustang

Old 12/2/11, 01:09 PM
Just Plain Rude!

The rear dash is tiny. The roof is even lower than the Mustang (so everyone's gonna be hunched over, so as to not hit their heads). The fact that the console/cupholders runs smoothly all the way through the back seats says a lot to me about how small it is. That trunk looks absolutely worthless. And if you think the Mustang looks as uncomfortable as that...then you're stupid.
Old 12/2/11, 01:52 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

2013 Subaru BRZ Price Starts at $24,000.

http://wot.motortrend.com/2013-subar...cs-142245.html

Editor-in-Chief Ed Loh is currently tearing up Japan in the new 2013 Subaru BRZ and is was tweeting his findings earlier. Chief among them is the starting price for the 2013 BRZ. When we first spoke to Subaru reps for our First Look, they told us the BRZ would cost about as much as the Impreza WRX. Bossman Loh got more out of Subaru reps, who say the base BRZ Premium will start at around $24,000, while the BRZ Limited will sticker for about $27,000.

What exactly does your $24,000 get you on a 2013 BRZ Premium? A Torsen limited-slip differential, 17-inch alloy wheels, tilt-telescope leather-wrapped steering wheel, leather shift **** and handbrake, a six-speed manual transmission, aluminum pedal pads, an eight-speaker sound system, and standard Navigation. That’s all of course in addition to the BRZ’s 200-hp and 151 lb-ft of torque from its 2.0-liter F-4. Got an extra $3,000 lying around? For $27,000 you’ll get a BRZ Limited that adds leather-Alcantara upholstery, a rear lip spoiler and foglights, among other things.

Quick Reply: Toyota FT-86 official pictures