Toyota Drivers as a Group

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/07, 06:43 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boomer
Signal? My car has a turn signal?
And people weaving....
Or the reverse >> people who signal for four blocks and don't actually turn.

Usually 'old men with hats'.
Old 3/20/07, 06:44 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was underpowered? Sure, although I have '94 Camry with 3.0L engine (188 hp) in the family, and I wouldn't say its underpowered. But that's past, new 3.5L (268 hp) is not underpowered.

They might be ugly (although I like how 2007 model looks), they might be boring to drive, but they are not underpowered and still represent best cars in its class.
Old 3/20/07, 06:47 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another reason Toyota sucks - NASCAR. Maybe they're using NASCAR to try and change their reputation for being boring, underpowered vehicles? I wonder if they're going to get sponsored by Maytag?
Old 3/20/07, 06:50 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

It took Toyota only few years to become best in the Trucks series. Why would Busch and Nextel series be any different?

Once again, Toyotas might be boring, but are not underpowered. In most cases they make more horsepowers than Fords. By the way, Ford could learn thing or two about about "making boring cars like Toyota". If they did, they probably wouldn't lose $12 billion last year.
Old 3/20/07, 09:11 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Red Star
By the way, Ford could learn thing or two about about "making boring cars like Toyota". If they did, they probably wouldn't lose $12 billion last year.
Can't argue with that. They're doing something right, and their bottom line shows it.

Having said that, Toyota's reputation for quality has slipped badly in recent months - and problems traceable back to 1997 really call into question that reputation. Their sales numbers may be strong, but I wonder how much of that is myth & momentum, and how long it will take before savvy buyers catch on to the ruse?

Pride goeth before a fall, I guess. It began happening to the Big Three in the mid-'70s; arguably it is now beginning to happen to Toyota.
Old 3/21/07, 08:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
It took Toyota only few years to become best in the Trucks series. Why would Busch and Nextel series be any different?

Once again, Toyotas might be boring, but are not underpowered. In most cases they make more horsepowers than Fords. By the way, Ford could learn thing or two about about "making boring cars like Toyota". If they did, they probably wouldn't lose $12 billion last year.

This world is filled with Sheep. People say "Fords suck" and people believe it. Toyota gets on TV and says "reliable and fuel efficient" and people believe it. There are plenty of people who own Fords that never have any problems. There are plenty of people who own Toyotas that DO have problems. Thing is, you rarely hear about these instances. People love to hate Ford. I'm not sure why it is, but it's a fact. I feel that since the whole Firestone debacle, the Ford hating reached new heights and really, it hasn't subsided yet. Ford is beating the Camry and the Accord in their C&D tests. The Fusion is a great car at a great price. I'll bet it'll be as reliable or more reliable than the new Camry.

Toyotas are road appliances pure and simple. The steering and suspension couldn't be more numb if they purposefully engineered it that way. Yes, they have a new v-6 with 268 under the hood. That doesn't mean the people who buy them will use it, and oh by the way, if they do, it won't be best in class fuel economy anymore. I don't feel they'll use it though, every single person I encounter with a Camry is an over-cautious road hazzard just waiting to cause an accident by being careful.

Oh, BTW, I didn't see Toyotas 6 on the Wards list. But, guess whose is??
Old 3/21/07, 08:39 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
Toyota's version of that engine that is found in the new Lexus IS350 was listed as a Ward's Ten Best.

But I do agree with a lot of what you said. It's like there's two different standards >> one for Toyota...and one for Ford. Now to be fair, Ford probably put itself in that situation - as did the other American automakers - after 25 years of mostly lackluster product. It's why Ford products from this moment forward have to really be something special to make people forget those bad memories.
Old 3/21/07, 09:24 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
This world is filled with Sheep. People say "Fords suck" and people believe it. Toyota gets on TV and says "reliable and fuel efficient" and people believe it. There are plenty of people who own Fords that never have any problems. There are plenty of people who own Toyotas that DO have problems. Thing is, you rarely hear about these instances. People love to hate Ford. I'm not sure why it is, but it's a fact. I feel that since the whole Firestone debacle, the Ford hating reached new heights and really, it hasn't subsided yet. Ford is beating the Camry and the Accord in their C&D tests. The Fusion is a great car at a great price. I'll bet it'll be as reliable or more reliable than the new Camry.

Toyotas are road appliances pure and simple. The steering and suspension couldn't be more numb if they purposefully engineered it that way. Yes, they have a new v-6 with 268 under the hood. That doesn't mean the people who buy them will use it, and oh by the way, if they do, it won't be best in class fuel economy anymore. I don't feel they'll use it though, every single person I encounter with a Camry is an over-cautious road hazzard just waiting to cause an accident by being careful.

My opinions are not based on TV comercials, I couldn't care less about them. But Toyota knows how to build a car. That doesn't mean that Ford doesn't. If I didn't believe in Ford's product I wouldn't buy Mustang and F-150.

However, Toyota pays equal attention to all of their vehicles and they're successful. Ford, on the other hand, doesn't. Ford pays a lot of attention to Mustang, F-Series, Fusion, Edge ... and they're successful. However, Ford doesn't pay any attention to Ranger, minivans, Taurus (past) and they fail. Is same thing gonna happen to Fusion? Will Ford invest a lot of money in it and then kill it after 3 or 4 generations and then introduce new car?