General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Top Gear UK

Search this Thread

Old 1/23/13, 09:38 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
they need to kill TGUSA or get better hosts. Also to do some car reviews and check out more car culture.
Old 1/23/13, 09:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I read an interview with jay Leno about top gear USA. He said that British version can say something sucks because they are not paid through ad dollars. Would you say the new camaro is crap if they were paying you ad money? This is the weakness of top gear USA.
Old 1/23/13, 09:56 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I read an interview with jay Leno about top gear USA. He said that British version can say something sucks because they are not paid through ad dollars. Would you say the new camaro is crap if they were paying you ad money? This is the weakness of top gear USA.
Old 1/23/13, 10:40 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
TG UK doesn't have commercials, but has an idiot like Jeremy Clarkson and his subjective point of views and how everything non-British is rubbish. According to Jeremy, the non-existing British auto industry is the best in the world and the only good American car is the Corvette ...

Not to mention how many lies he tells all the time ... I mean, BBC could have one more show that would just fix his errors ... Like when he said that he's test driving a Shelby GT500 when he fact he's driving a Shelby GT ... or when he claimed he was driving a Mustang GT when he was driving a Mustang V6 ...
I could go on forever, I saw every TG UK episode since the beginning.

So I have to disagree with you, I think what Tanner Foust (who happens to be a professional race driver) has to say about a specific car is a lot more realistic than what Jeremy Clarkson says.
As far as I know, Mercedes is one of the sponsors of the TG USA ... If I remember correctly, Rutledge Wood was pretty harsh on the Mercedes SLS when he drove it, he said that it looks and feels like a "job half-way finished".
Old 1/23/13, 10:51 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't wait for more Top Gear UK
Old 1/23/13, 11:14 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zastava_101
TG UK doesn't have commercials, but has an idiot like Jeremy Clarkson and his subjective point of views and how everything non-British is rubbish. According to Jeremy, the non-existing British auto industry is the best in the world and the only good American car is the Corvette ...

Not to mention how many lies he tells all the time ... I mean, BBC could have one more show that would just fix his errors ... Like when he said that he's test driving a Shelby GT500 when he fact he's driving a Shelby GT ... or when he claimed he was driving a Mustang GT when he was driving a Mustang V6 ...

So I have to disagree with you, I think what Tanner Foust (who happens to be a professional race driver) has to say about a specific car is a lot more realistic than what Jeremy Clarkson says.
As far as I know, Mercedes is one of the sponsors of the TG USA ... If I remember correctly, Rutledge Wood was pretty harsh on the Mercedes SLS when he drove it, he said that it looks and feels like a "job half-way finished".
TG UK does flat out lie sometimes. Makes it very difficult to take what they say seriously.

However, IMO, it is much more entertaining than TG USA. Although I haven't watched TG USA since the first season
Old 1/23/13, 11:14 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I dunno that you fully grasp his sarcasm.
Old 1/23/13, 11:22 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

The show is fiction(top gear uk). So bending the truth is fine. Most of the car people on the planet got that the v6 stang was not a GT. Tanner is ok but he far better behind the wheel of a car the he is infront of a camera. If you are looking for facts you are watching the wrong show for the most part. If we dont trust the car rags why would we trust a show that call it self a comedy show? thats like watching the show barny or dinosaurs for facts about dinosoaurs.

I still find it funny that the UK guys love top gear USA. The USA guys love the UK version.

Last edited by Flagstang; 1/23/13 at 11:24 AM.
Old 1/23/13, 11:24 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I dunno that you fully grasp his sarcasm.
You'll be surprised how many people from Europe told me that my F-150 is a junk because they saw Jeremy Clarkson test drive the SVT Lightning (off-road) in one of the episodes and since Jeremy Clarkson didn't like it - then it must be junk.

This is the episode I'm talking about ...

Old 1/23/13, 11:26 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

You'll be surprised how many people from Europe told me that my F-150 is a junk because they saw Jeremy Clarkson test drive the SVT Lightning (off-road) in one of the episodes and since Jeremy Clarkson didn't like it - then it must be junk.

Top Gear F150 Lightning - YouTube

if they form an opinion based on top gear maybe they do not make good choices.
Old 1/23/13, 11:54 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I think that's the main difference between the TG UK and the TG USA ... The UK is like the WWE and the USA is more to inform you (at least earlier episodes) and at least to provide you with the correct info.
Old 1/23/13, 12:01 PM
Post *****

I think that's the main difference between the TG UK and the TG USA ... The UK is like the WWE and the USA is more to inform you (at least earlier episodes) and at least to provide you with the correct info.
I'll admit i haven't watched many since the first season, but it also seems like USA's challenges are often just a rehash of something UK has already done. If you're not going to have good hosts the least they could do is be creative and have a good command of the language they are broadcasting in.

Season 1 of UK shows just how important hosting and good dialogue is. The show was a shadow of what it became without James May there.

There are no other shows out there that provide the entertainment factor that TGUK does. Not TGUSA, not TGAU, not 5th gear or any of the other multitude of car test shows on the internet that try and cash in on this same game.
Old 1/23/13, 12:10 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I dunno why so many people complain about the hosts of the TG USA. I like all 3 of them, I think they're a perfect fit.

I'm not saying that the TG USA is better than TG UK - it's not and I also enjoy watching the UK more. But that doesn't mean that the UK is perfect and that the USA is horrible. I think they're both good shows.
Old 1/23/13, 12:19 PM
Post *****

That's a fair assessment, since this is all just opinion anyway. And I in no way meant to portray UK as infallible

But I just cant stand listening to the USA team talk lol. I'm pretty **** about TV shows
Old 1/23/13, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by future9er24
That's a fair assessment, since this is all just opinion anyway. And I in no way meant to portray UK as infallible

But I just cant stand listening to the USA team talk lol. I'm pretty **** about TV shows
After seeing the first few minutes of TGUSA on YouTube, I can see why people like TGUK better. The hosts in the UK version are just better by a lot.
Old 1/23/13, 12:28 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by future9er24

This.

My dream cast for TGUSA was Tim Allen, Jay Leno, and Jerry Seinfeld. That would have been epic
Old 1/23/13, 12:31 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
This.

My dream cast for TGUSA was Tim Allen, Jay Leno, and Jerry Seinfeld. That would have been epic
Tim definitely yes, Jerry maybe, but I find Jay Leno to be boring. I can't even stand to watch 10 minutes of Jay Leno garage without getting really bored after few minutes.
Old 1/23/13, 12:33 PM
Post *****

Replace Seinfeld with Chris Titus and that's what I had pictured in my ideal lineup
Old 1/23/13, 12:38 PM
INKY

DVR set, Sunday at 9pm local!
Old 1/23/13, 12:43 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHDlJSSZYjg
That states more about those individuals as opposed to a television show about automobiles and three characters that "review" and comment about them.

Quick Reply: Top Gear UK