Top Gear America

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/05, 10:01 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok it's official..Top Gear at least for one episode is on american TV
Discovery channel listing

I am a hair disappointed in that these are old segments from last season. BUT this gives us a glimmer of hope. I'm hoping they just tape the episodes and send them our way instead of watering them down for america. If they keep them true to the actual show then this will be a blast.

Keep your eyes pealed for this
Old 6/12/05, 10:29 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Check this link out

I know your asking yourself..why on earth is Doug posting an article call "Porsche 911 by Jeremy clarkson" which is actually about his Ford GT in a thread about Top Gear america.

Well for one very good reason

this quote from it
Now look: the BBC was recently asked to make 18 episodes of Top Gear for the American market in which all references to petrol, bonnets, pounds, boots, motorways, footpaths and bumpers were altered.

On top of this, all mentions of Bolton Wanderers and wellington boots had to be expunged. And we did that in a week. So how come it had taken the world’s third biggest car firm six months to fit its flagship with a new exhaust pipe? Then I was sent a recall notice saying the front suspension was likely to crumble and that the car must not be driven under any circumstances. Well, that was unlikely since the parts for mine were still being dug out of the ground.
So folks it looks like we will be getting 18 episodes..altered to some degree. Hopefully Jeremy, Richard and James will keep thier humor about this and all will be right!
Old 6/13/05, 02:02 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Last night was funny, Jeremy had his GT in the studio, 2 years from order date. The hamster ordered a half timbered morgan and had it waay quicker. The joke Hammond made was

"So it took two years to get your car.....in that time Morgan grew a tree, chopped it down, seasoned the wood and built my car........"
Old 6/13/05, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doug, Hi,
it's good news that you'll be getting Top Gear, everything went really quiet since i posted about this a couple of month's ago but it looks like it's finally going to happen,
i think it's going to be us Brits chasing around the net, looking for links to Top Gear America,
in the afternoons over here they're repeating old episodes, just watched where Jeremy goes round the Nurburgring, then that woman shows him how to really drive!
Great Stuff!!
Regards,
Angus.
Old 6/13/05, 01:09 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Yeah i saw that james grewat stuff

Angus...another Uk member..Great Stuff mate!
Yeah i'm really stoked about this TG america thing. I just really hope they don't change to much. I'd be happy if they just left it as is and played it here. BTW you need to post more not enough UK input here
Old 6/13/05, 01:16 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
I like the petrol, bonnets, boots, etc. references. But at least we get a show here . . .
Old 6/13/05, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

I won't miss them calling the USA one of the "colonies." Yeah, they can drop that.
Old 6/14/05, 10:01 AM

Doug, yes, it'll certainly be interesting to see what sort of programme it turns out to be, still, i suppose that the type of people that are going to be watching it are already aware of what it's all about.
Don't you have any decent motoring programmes in the U.S. ?
I stayed with some friends in Tampa recently and did'nt see one (any) on the T.V.
Sorry, yes, i'll try and post a bit more often, i do try to keep up with what's going on here but, got a lot going on at the moment.
Regards,
Angus.
Old 6/14/05, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone have showtimes?
Old 6/15/05, 07:09 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

June 29 10pm est

Angus..we were thrilled to get 5th gear here on speed channel but that show is bubkiss compared to TG. As for our car shows..nope most are complete garbage. The ones like motortrend and such are dedicated to giving you the cars withouth one once of humor or production value..they all look like they are filmed on High 8 by a 5th grader and are more or less useless.

Top Gear is what it's all about. They are honest and straight forward and tell it like it is and if the viewer can't hadle it tough luck!
I love that show and the way you just know they are having a blast doin it.

ALL hail TG!!!!!! wohoooooooooooooo!
Old 6/16/05, 08:04 AM

Doug, Hi,
yes, i love TopGear for exactly the same reasons, if they don't like something they're not afraid to say so, even if it is a B.M.W., Ferrari or any of the so called "top marques",
i remember one episode where Jeremy was pleading with Aston Martin to get rid of the flappy paddle gear shift and saying that he loved the rest of the car but that one feature was "rubbish",
and yet, the manufacturers still keep sending the car's for review, hopefully they prefer to get an honest opinion of what people think,
as for 5th Gear, sometimes it was O.K., but, i think people only tuned in just to catch a glimpse of Vicki Butler-Henderson, ( me included ! )

Regards,
Angus.
Old 6/16/05, 11:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey, the best part about Top Gear is the accents and the British terms. Stinks they would take 'em out.