General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Smaller engine ʻvette in ʻ15?

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/13, 08:39 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smaller engine ʻvette in ʻ15?

Idk if anyones seen this yet byt GM is considering putting a smaller v8 motor in an entry level trim vette. 5.3L v8, originally they twin turboʻd this motor but there werent significant differences in performance or effeciency so they kept it n/a. Idk how i feel about this yet, not sure if its a good idea or a big mistake

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/t...corvette-coupe
Old 2/28/13, 09:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
A twin turbo V6 (not a twin turbo 5.3L V8) was considered in the development of the new car, but the fuel economy numbers were exceeded by the 6.2L engine running with cylinder deactivation.

My buddies on Corvette7 are not sure of the viability of this report. It would be interesting if they did this, but it would be even more interesting if a price drop down into the mid-40s would result.

Hard to think of a Vette will less horsepower than a current Mustang GT being just under $50,000, even if it is an amazing handling vehicle.

Motor Trend's speculation might be good, but I think it would be a bit of stretch too.
Old 2/28/13, 10:27 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So GM is gonna put truck engine in a 'Vette? WOW ...
Old 2/28/13, 10:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101
So GM is gonna put truck engine in a 'Vette? WOW ...
Unconfirmed speculation...by the way, that would not be unlike a Coyote in an F-150, no? :-)
Old 2/28/13, 11:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would this be the LS4 or a non- Supercharged version of the 5.3L V8 in the COPO Camaro?
Edit: I totally forgot that the LS4 is for FWD only.

Last edited by shurtual86; 3/2/13 at 04:13 PM.
Old 2/28/13, 11:29 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by shurtual86
Would this be the LS4 or a non- Supercharged version of the 5.3L V8 in the COPO Camaro?
It could be, definitely a possibility but i never saw that mentioned in the report. But theres still plenty of speculation as well
Old 2/28/13, 02:44 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
by the way, that would not be unlike a Coyote in an F-150, no? :-)
Well, unlike the Corvette, Mustang is not competing against expensive European supercars ...
Old 2/28/13, 03:34 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Zastava_101

Well, unlike the Corvette, Mustang is not competing against expensive European supercars ...
Mustang fills its role perfectly, slots right in with the euro kings without a problem! The vette is a budget borderline supercar in terms of price but competes with others costing much more. But it seems theyre tryin to broaden its role now, to give the boss more of a direct competitor. Itll have less power but the lighter weight and track oriented design will make up for that. Weʻll see next year when more details are released.
Or who knows, maybe theyʻre building something to compete with something Fords doin with the ʻ15 mustang??
Old 3/1/13, 10:14 AM

While a smaller motor might make some rational sense, I think it risks diluting the brand too much and people would be very reticent to buy the Vette with the little girlie motor rather than the real 6.2 motor it should have. Yeah, it would still be very fast compared to most cars on the road, but not compared to the 6.2 and relative perception is everything in that niche.

Had Pontiac survived, I thought they should have added a 300+hp V6 Solstice model to fill in that gap that presumably the 5.5 motor would be meant to fill: a more efficient and affordable sports car below the current Vette -- without watering down the Vette's brand prestige while also raising Pontiacs.

Of course though, we all know how that's turn out and both Pontiac and the Solstice are memories.

Last edited by rhumb; 3/1/13 at 10:17 AM.
Old 3/2/13, 03:37 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CCTking
Mustang fills its role perfectly, slots right in with the euro kings without a problem! The vette is a budget borderline supercar in terms of price but competes with others costing much more. But it seems theyre tryin to broaden its role now, to give the boss more of a direct competitor. Itll have less power but the lighter weight and track oriented design will make up for that. Weʻll see next year when more details are released.
I would think its more of an effort to broaden overall sales of the vette, its mighty hard to make a business case for a blue collar super car at the volume Corvette is selling at right now which IIRC is well under 20k units

GM's Boss fighter is the 1LE Camaro.
Old 3/2/13, 03:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by bob
I would think its more of an effort to broaden overall sales of the vette, its mighty hard to make a business case for a blue collar super car at the volume Corvette is selling at right now which IIRC is well under 20k units
If this smaller engined Vette speculation is true, I also believe it is for the same reason you mention - shore up the sales volume.
Old 3/3/13, 01:07 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by bob

GM's Boss fighter is the 1LE Camaro.
I comoletely forgot about the 1LE