General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Oil Filter Magnets...

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/14, 12:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oil Filter Magnets...

anyone have any experience with oil filter magnets?

the marketing stuff I've read around seems like it would be a good idea. i've just NEVER heard of this before which makes me a little weary about its effectiveness in keeping the engine run better.
Old 5/6/14, 02:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't care for Oil Filter Magnets. Not that efficient IMO.

You can look into a magnetic Drain Plug though, I've had good experience with those on my vehicles.
Old 5/6/14, 02:14 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Yep on the drain plugs and if the filter magnet is cheap, why not? It may not help tremendously but ever little bit of fine metal out of the bearings makes sense.
Old 5/6/14, 02:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Where are these magnets mounted? It would seem there is too great a chance to block flow in the filter if there is too much buildup, plus there is a bypass valve in the filter that could be hampered by the magnets.

I would stick with one on the drain plug. It's not an issue there since there's really nothing to clog, and all the oil flows through that point so it should be washed out real well when you drain it (no chance of particles getting stuck elsewhere).

Also, the filter should do a good enough job at removing particulates, without the need for a magnet. I guess I can see the usefulness of a magnet at the drain plug considering it's nowhere near the filter and some ferrous particulates could be present.
Old 5/6/14, 02:48 PM

I'm sure it's mostly a gimmick but may still work to a small degree. If it interfered with filter performance or any engine damage that could be proven related to the magnet, those guys would be buying engines. I'm sure it's safe and if it keeps just a few specs from passing through the filter, I guess it's better than nothing. If it costs under $20, hell why not.
Old 5/6/14, 03:15 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
I'm sure it's mostly a gimmick but may still work to a small degree. If it interfered with filter performance or any engine damage that could be proven related to the magnet, those guys would be buying engines. I'm sure it's safe and if it keeps just a few specs from passing through the filter, I guess it's better than nothing. If it costs under $20, hell why not.
It makes sense but the $59 cost kept me from trying.

Old 5/6/14, 03:43 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah - i heard more on the oil plug magnetic piece more so over the oil cap part. It was one of those things that makes you go HMMM.......

And agreed. I don't care for spending $50+ on this either unless there was substantial proof that it was a miracle product!
Old 5/6/14, 04:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I guess here is my point: cars have been doing just fine without magnets for well over 100 years. Can it help? Maybe, but history shows not likely. Can it hurt? There seems to be a much greater chance for that. At the least it's a waste of $50, at most it causes oil flow/pressure issues due to a blocked filter or inoperable bypass valve.
Old 5/6/14, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
I guess here is my point: cars have been doing just fine without magnets for well over 100 years. Can it help? Maybe, but history shows not likely. Can it hurt? There seems to be a much greater chance for that. At the least it's a waste of $50, at most it causes oil flow/pressure issues due to a blocked filter or inoperable bypass valve.
1: Is the bypass valve metal or even magnetic? Dunno and I really don't believe a magnet will alter the operation of it.
2: It will not in any way block flow through the filter. If anything, it will keep fines from plugging the filter a little better.
3: If it makes you feel better, even though it may not do anything at all, placebo works wonders. Even if it costs $50.

I say someone try it out. Open up the filter afterwards and see for yourself.
Old 5/6/14, 05:56 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlsCobra
1: Is the bypass valve metal or even magnetic? Dunno and I really don't believe a magnet will alter the operation of it.
2: It will not in any way block flow through the filter. If anything, it will keep fines from plugging the filter a little better.
3: If it makes you feel better, even though it may not do anything at all, placebo works wonders. Even if it costs $50.

I say someone try it out. Open up the filter afterwards and see for yourself.
http://www.filtermag.com/wp/how-it-works/

I'm almost out of bandwidth for the month to watch the vid, but here's a still shot of a cutaway filter where the magnets held the particles:

I guess the question remains, would the filter have caught those fines anyway.

Judging by my recent Blackstone Labs oil report, I have very little bearing material at 26k using the Motorcraft filter, so I don't think if I could improve on that.

<This first sample from your Bullitt looks great. No fuel or coolant was present, and wear metals are appropriately low. The viscosity is in the 5W/20 range, and low insolubles and silicon show good oil and air filtration. Nice engine at 26,047 miles.>

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/6/14 at 06:02 PM.
Old 5/6/14, 06:20 PM
Cobra Member

This product does claim to capture from 2-20 microns but, the question still remains, gimmick? Heck.... Who knows, I may just try it out anyways. May pay off if in fact it does even catch a shingle piece of metal... It wouldn't have been the worst investment i would have made on a car....
Old 5/7/14, 04:30 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
This has my interest 'a little'. $50 is a bit too much
Old 5/7/14, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
what about oil pan magnets?? Pull them off drain the oil and then put them back on.

Drunk posting /\ /\
Old 12/16/14, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys... Please don't go overboard and or over think possible negatives when it comes to Oil Filter Magnets, because there are none.

Every thought regarding a gimmick or the safety concerns mentioned above by members, has been thoroughly tested and disproved. By whom you may ask? Well some very high ups like Chevrolet, Cummins, AC Delco, SAE and a half dozen Certified Laboratories (Herguth, Polytechnic, Atlas, Titan and many more).

If you want to take a look at this site it will help explain in full... better than I can do here:
www.oilfiltermagnets.com

As to Drain Plugs with Magnets, they are a great value and come OEM in many vehicles from the factory (I.E. Corvette, Ford Power-Stroke, Rolls, etc).

www.OilDrainPlug.com

Here is the basic science when it come to oil filtration with magnets...

Standard oil filters, even performance versions, use BETA Ratings and CEF Ratings (commonly know as Micron Ratings) to express the amount of filtration they can offer. Unfortunately there are virtually none, under $30, that offer filtration below 20 "microns" at a high Capture Efficiency Rate.

Why is that a problem? Well review wear testing data and you will find that 75% of engine wear is created by particulate under 8 microns. What that technically means is... "Oil Filters Don't Really Filter Oil"

Bottom line is you need to put every type of magnet you can into your filtration system, just remember they come in most every Automatic Transmission. Just be aware that you can not use a wrap around version on the outside of the canister style filter, this will restrict the flow of oil through the media element (see website).

Note: You don't need to spend $50 for a fancy wrap on filter magnet, plus you do not want to. A typical lifetime supply of the Patented Oil Filter Magnets we manufacture will cost you half or less than that, plus they are fresh every time you do a new oil change.

I hope this is not to much of a pitch, or to late a response but I just had to correct all the different directions this thread was going. Please contact me directly and mention your are a member of TheMustangSource group, I will be glad to offer you a special deal on anything we make. Heck, I am a big time mustang lover the last 40 years (I.E. 1965, 1970 Boss, 2005, 2010 and more)

Thanks for reviewing the info and for your questions, I look forward to them.

Best regards,
Gary

groy@gwrauto.com
www.GWRauto.com
1(800) 266-4497

Last edited by thepartsman; 12/16/14 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added contact info, thanks
Old 12/17/14, 07:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
Welcome to TMS Gary
Old 12/17/14, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much Glenn, I hope to find a lot of new friends and like Mustang lovers on this site. I see my biggest problem coming here is to find the time to make over 12,000 posts like you... Holy Mackerel! When you have a day off, take a minute to visit my web site. Thanks again, Gary www.GWRauto.com P.S. If you find anything of interest just let me know, we'll tell the billing dept that you "know the owner"