General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

NY Adopts Charger for Highway Units

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/06, 06:33 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In an article this morning on Yahoo, it is indicated that NY is now adopting the specially equipped Dodge Charger for a special pilot program in the state. Police representatives state that "110MPH Police units no longer cut it. Speed matters and with all the fast foreign cars on the road, we need to make a move". They indicate that if the pilot program goes well, they will begin purchasing Dodges to replace hundreds of aging Crown Victorias and Impalas.

Another indication that Ford is lagging behind on the large, rear drive platform arena. We need more under the hood. We've been saying it for 5 years. With this Hemi out there and all indications are that the GM 5.7 will be under many hoods coming soon, we need the 6.1 yesterday.
Old 2/10/06, 06:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(97svtgoin05gt @ February 10, 2006, 7:36 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
In an article this morning on Yahoo, it is indicated that NY is now adopting the specially equipped Dodge Charger for a special pilot program in the state. Police representatives state that "110MPH Police units no longer cut it. Speed matters and with all the fast foreign cars on the road, we need to make a move". They indicate that if the pilot program goes well, they will begin purchasing Dodges to replace hundreds of aging Crown Victorias and Impalas.

Another indication that Ford is lagging behind on the large, rear drive platform arena. We need more under the hood. We've been saying it for 5 years. With this Hemi out there and all indications are that the GM 5.7 will be under many hoods coming soon, we need the 6.1 yesterday.
[/b][/quote]

I don't know what kind of cars they buy now, but our Crown Vics are good for about 135 mph. I think Ford has something faster in the works!! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/10/06, 06:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, you beat me to it Lane. I was just gonna post this.

Here's the link..

They're gonna have some fun testing these puppies out.
Old 2/10/06, 06:52 AM
Cobra R Member

ya i guess it was only a matter of time before we started reading articles like this. I wonder how the body will hold up compared to the body-on-frame construction of the crown vic. I think its gonna be a while before we hear anything from ford... they've been stalling for so long! They're not sure whether to leave the panther as it is, give it another upgrade, or replace it altogether. Obviously we'd all prefer the latter, but i guess Ford's wondering whether its worth the development cost. They probably don't make much profit from police fleet sales. But i'm sure people seeing these bad hiney police chargers will be much more intrigued by the charger now. I think the crown vic is a sweet car, and I'm sure that's only cause you see it dressed up with the push bar or all in black with tinted windows.
Old 2/10/06, 07:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mustang_sallad @ February 10, 2006, 7:55 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
ya i guess it was only a matter of time before we started reading articles like this. I wonder how the body will hold up compared to the body-on-frame construction of the crown vic. I think its gonna be a while before we hear anything from ford... they've been stalling for so long! They're not sure whether to leave the panther as it is, give it another upgrade, or replace it altogether. Obviously we'd all prefer the latter, but i guess Ford's wondering whether its worth the development cost. They probably don't make much profit from police fleet sales. But i'm sure people seeing these bad hiney police chargers will be much more intrigued by the charger now. I think the crown vic is a sweet car, and I'm sure that's only cause you see it dressed up with the push bar or all in black with tinted windows.
[/b][/quote]

My 1988 Mustang Intercepter held up fine and it was unibody, it only required a fuel pump, waterpump and clutch in 148,000+ HARD MILES, and on a 95 degree day I could run 135 mph half the day, then sit and idle the rest of the day and the A/C would still be blowing COLD. I think Ford is at least going to put the 3V (300 hp) in the CV or import the Falcon from Australia (380 hp) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 2/10/06, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

They should make a main line production Mustang type car with a 6.1li engine (at least) that does 475hp and 500tq. Something that look better than a ford GT IMO b/c they look like poop! It just sucks having to do all type of mods just to keep up with a charger or a Camero SS. If they have a CAI I'm screwed...

In 09, they need to make the Mustang GT have a 5.4 with as good gas mileage at the GTO. (That thing has better MPG than my 00 GT! and it has a 6.0 in it!!!)
Old 2/10/06, 07:26 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrunkenDragon713 @ February 10, 2006, 9:25 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
They should make a main line production Mustang type car with a 6.1li engine (at least) that does 475hp and 500tq. Something that look better than a ford GT IMO b/c they look like poop! It just sucks having to do all type of mods just to keep up with a charger or a Camero SS. If they have a CAI I'm screwed...

In 09, they need to make the Mustang GT have a 5.4 with as good gas mileage at the GTO. (That thing has better MPG than my 00 GT! and it has a 6.0 in it!!!)
[/b][/quote]

Be careful because it's a pretty well known fact at this point that advertised MPG isn't always what you actually GET MPG wise. It does however seem that GM is ahead of Ford on the cylinder shutdown technology. I'm sure that's going to help considerably.

Seriosuly though, I don't think you'll see too many GTOs get their advertised MPG.

Come to think of it, I don't think you'll plain old SEE many GTOs. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrinjester.gif[/img]
Old 2/10/06, 07:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrunkenDragon713 @ February 10, 2006, 8:25 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

What kind of mileage does that thing get?? I have a friend with a 5.7L GTO and he gets about 12 in the city and 28 on the highway. I get 21 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway in my 2000 GT and it is supercharged [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 2/10/06, 10:45 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrunkenDragon713 @ February 10, 2006, 8:25 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

Mustang is only 2 doors. You can't have majority of police car having 2 doors only. How are you planing to put 350-pounds bad guy in the Mustangs rear seat?
Charger is perfect police car. Big and fast.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tacbear @ February 10, 2006, 8:33 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
What kind of mileage does that thing get?? I have a friend with a 5.7L GTO and he gets about 12 in the city and 28 on the highway. I get 21 mpg in the city and 26 mpg on the highway in my 2000 GT and it is supercharged [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that police Chargers and Magnums turn off 4 cylinders during regular driving, so gas mileage shouldn't be low.