TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2008 WRX from Motor Trend

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1230198
Old 3/26/07, 11:32 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Difference between this and a MazdaSpeed 3 is that the Mazda looks good as a 5-door.
Old 3/27/07, 09:33 AM

Poor Subaru, they basically make very good and well engineered cars. If they could only get their easthetic act together they would be really something.

The current Legacy, with its very nicely executed if not scintillating styling, gave me hope that Subura might have some hope on the styling front. But then came the Tribeca, and now this and, well, there's a mother, somewhere, that will love this face.

Where the EVO seems to be taking a big step forward on the styling front, this represents a best no improvement, if not a step backwards, at least the current version has a distinctive weirdness to it that sort of charming in a, well, weird way that sets it apart form other cars. This is just bland and derivative, that will fade into the crowd about 30 seconds after whatever big unveiling Subaru does at some car show.

Guess Mazda must be flattered as the side aspect is quite obviously a Mazda 3 derivative, if not quite as well done. The front, ummm, that's starting to make the benighted "Propeller" theme of recent Subaru front ends actually look good, not an easy job there. It and the back end are sort of an amalgam of styling themes inartistically stewed together: a bit of overdone Camry in the grille, a touch of Focus SVT and new Euro Mondeo in the rear, none of it really jelling into some coherent whole.

The interior is an OK journeyman's efforts but pales to the artistry of a Mini or the execution of a GTI or Mazda 3. It looks like its been around a while and a bit stale already and this is just a prerelease photo.

I will be interested to see how it works mechanically as this is where Subaru does so well. They really ought to just face the reality that they suck at styling and hire an outside firm to pen their lines.
Old 3/27/07, 09:39 AM
Bullitt Member

The WRX I checked out at the auto show was decent enough and their interior had stepped up a bunch from late 90's, early 2000 models which were terrible but the one thing I couldn't stand was the seats. Felt like I was sitting on cement and the side bolsters for the legs were jabbing into me and while I'm a good sized dude I'm not overly wide or fat assed.

Being a previous Mazda 3 owner I liked the styling but it didn't wear well with me over 3 years. The 3 Sport IMO just made the look more busy than before, not sure where I stand with it outside of it being an impressive vehicle power and handling wise (much like the WRX).
Old 3/27/07, 10:10 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Wow, that is ugly! What is up with all of the chrome and shinny silver
I love the idea of a 5 door, the side profile looks good, but the front is horrible, and the straight rear view doesnt look good either

Of course it's a subaru and it has a lot of good stuff inside
Old 3/27/07, 10:36 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow that is one of the ugliest cars i have ever seen.

I have really liked what subaru has done until now. I own a 2000 Legacy and think its a fantastic car that only needed a more powerful engine to perfect. And they did fix that in the next gen.
Old 3/27/07, 11:00 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WRX's have always been ugly cars, and this one is arguably no worse than the current, updated model on the market. A bigger mystery to me is how Ford has so obviously missed the boat with Volvo's S40 on this one.

Take the S60R's 300hp I5, tweak it just a bit more to raise power to 325hp or more and drop it into the S40 T5. Borrow the Focus ST's suspension tweaks, as appropriate wheel, tire, and brake upgrades and Volvo would have a car at least as fast as these things which also happens to be vastly more comfortable. Another difficult bonus area to ignore is the fact that the Volvo wouldn't look like a circus wagon.

To be fair it would be a bit more complicated than the above. But in the world of mass-production this would be a simple transformation given that virtually all of the parts needed for such a transformation already exist. And given the fact that a T5 AWD starts at 29k I'd bet keeping the price of entry comparable to a WRX STI or an EVO MR would be quite easy as well.
Old 3/27/07, 11:47 AM

I agree about the Volvo S40R, or the lack thereof. It would be a screamingly obvious move to anyone, well, to anyone but Volvo it seems. You should read the posts at any Volvo forum to really get an earfull.

But yah, could basically be accomplished through parts-bin engineering. I think Volvo was worried that it would compete too much with the S60R, but I think there would be more than enough model differentiation and that argument could be inferred to be that Volvo should pump up the S60R that much more, not artificially curtail an S40R. Even at that, detune the motor to 275 and there you go. Oh well, there is some more serious talk of a C30R, so perhaps there's hope after all there.

But anyway, poor Subaru, if they would only design a truly pretty car, they'd rule the world.
Old 3/27/07, 02:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhumb
But anyway, poor Subaru, if they would only design a truly pretty car, they'd rule the world.
I don't know about that. I agree that the vast majority of Subaru's lineup needs serious aesthetic help. But like you I find the Legacy to be an exception and, in fact, would dare to call it one of the two or three best looking cars in it's class.

That brings Subaru's 'other' problem to to the fore. Pricing. Subaru is every bit as bold as VW is on pricing. And this despite the fact that some, more moderately priced car makers do a better job on some aspects of their designs. A good example would be interior design.....Subaru typically isn't as good here as is Honda for example.

And standard awd aside that is a problem that I beleive would keep them on the smaller side of the volume equation improved aesthetics or not.
Old 3/27/07, 09:46 PM
FR500 Member

Still ugly. If Subaru figured out how to make their cars look better, they could rule the world. LOL. I it all started going downhill with the B9 Tribeca disaster = Subaru's version of the Aztek.