Old 1/8/10, 04:50 PM
I will buy Jack Stands!!!

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Replace then
Old 1/8/10, 06:42 PM
BoogieNights Studios:
Official Fluffer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah if it is cracked too then replace both. That door would be too much trouble trying to fix it. and the only way to fix the crack is weld it shut if possible. Just easier to replace thendo that.
Old 2/2/10, 05:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Updates!

These past weeks both me and my dad spent putting stuff back together, like the front plastic cover under the front bumper, TV cable, detailing and installing the carb air cleaner, and the front frame reinforcement. The front driveshaft was put on hold due to a ******* missing bolt.

In the meantime, the dash trim & HU were installed

and today I replaced the ignition lock cylinder with a new OEM unit I had laying around that was never put into a beater Sunbird I previously owned, since the one it had was badly worn.

I also "fixed" the fresh air intake hose to the carburetor housing and made a quick detailing of the engine bay. Filled up the transfer case w tranny oil too.

Things left to do:
get a new bolt to install the front driveshaft
put back the 4wd lever assy w console
weld back the exhaust system (add a flange to it while we're at it)
fix two leaking tires
a through wash inside & out

I'll update as soon as posible.
Old 2/4/10, 06:20 AM

Good work!
Old 2/5/10, 04:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Thanks dude! It's slowly going back together. I'll install the D shaft and weld the muffler today, and clean the cooling system. It needs it before it can be driven anywhere.
Old 2/5/10, 08:22 AM

I wish I had access to all the tools you did! And of course, a need for a front driveshaft too lol
Old 2/8/10, 05:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

We have so many tools that sometimes we forget we even have them And I keep adding more every time I have the chance. Front d. shaft is on, muffler is welded and cooling system is clean.
I finally took her for a spin after four years, and I can just only say, I really missed driving it. Took it into a tire shop to fix the two leaking tires. On the way I noticed that the brakes barely worked so I got busy and started checking and replacing stuff. One of the wheel cylinders was locked, but I replaced both of them anyway. Bled the system but still no rear braking so that means the master cylinder is busted. Took it out and went to the local Advance to get a replacement. We'll try to finish it off today. Also my dad made a test with some wax and the paint on the sides can still give out some shine. I'll add some pics later.
Old 2/8/10, 05:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Pichas

Old master cylinder. As you can see, it's squeaky clean. I replaced it some years back, but since it's been just sitting, the seals crapped out.

Old wheel cylinder off. What a PITA those clips were to remove

New wheel cylinders in place w some "massaging" on the rear backing plates by my dremell. They were quite worn on some areas and that caused the rear brakes to "grab" when the truck was previously running, as on the blazer forums told me. I added some hi temp grease to those spots to prevent any more wear and rust. I'll post if the fix worked or not.

The once new left tail lamp. The chrome plating is peeling off but the lens still looks like new.
Right one is original 85. Notice the condition of the lens and the trim. The trim of the original is made of metal, that's why is in such good shape. Too bad the replacements don't have a removable trim I'll replace both of them anyway later on.

Last edited by edumspeed; 2/8/10 at 05:26 AM.
Old 2/9/10, 05:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

New master cylinder installed and brakes have pressure
The bad news is that the truck still doesn't stop right. Next item on the list, brake booster overhaul Stupid rubber parts rotting away
Old 2/12/10, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice to see it comming along! Keep it up and you'll be scaling hills in no time.
Old 2/12/10, 11:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Thanks slim! It still has some issues, but nothing too bad to deal with. While the engine was running, I noticed a hissing sound, so there's a vac. leak somewhere. It can be either from a hose or from the brake booster itself. Also, the TV cable needs to be adjusted or replaced with a longer one for the kick down to work.
Old 2/14/10, 12:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edumspeed
Thanks slim! It still has some issues, but nothing too bad to deal with. While the engine was running, I noticed a hissing sound, so there's a vac. leak somewhere. It can be either from a hose or from the brake booster itself. Also, the TV cable needs to be adjusted or replaced with a longer one for the kick down to work.
700R4? ya those things are a pain to deal with. Don't drive it around much without it connected properly though you can burn the foreward clutches (IIRC) up that way.
Old 2/14/10, 12:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Originally Posted by Slims00ls1z28
700R4? ya those things are a pain to deal with. Don't drive it around much without it connected properly though you can burn the foreward clutches (IIRC) up that way.
a 700R4. IIRC, the OD wasn't working either some years back Have to correct everything else before giving it a real drive anywhere.
Old 2/15/10, 04:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Managed to extend the TV cable enough to fit the throttle linkage, but still needs some fine tuning. Located two loose vac. hoses, one of them was cracked. Still there's another one unplugged, since the ventilation vents don't cycle with the switch. Brake booster seems to work, but the truck feels like it's just braking on the rear wheels. Even when pushed hard, it still stops slowly and the pedal is as still as a rock midway of travel
Old 3/16/10, 09:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Lil update:

Fiddled a little more with the brake shoe adjusters. It seems that I over tightened them a bit since the drums were almost impossible to remove Also found another loose vac hose, the one that goes to the cruise control unit. The battery tray was removed, cleaned and painted with rust resistant paint, as well as where it's mounted.
Old 3/16/10, 10:16 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Nice eduardo, I had a gmc equivilant for my very first vehicle. 2.8L, 4x4, 5-speed. Blue and white. I wish I still had it to use as a trail truck.
Old 3/16/10, 10:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Thanks Scothew. That thing is as tough as nails, even if it's as slow as a mule I need to put her back on the road so I can use it to either transport a replacement engine for the Mustang, or to send the current block to the shop when I start working on it. My brother would like to take it off road, but I doubt I'll mod it for that. I like it's current stance. But I want to stuff some meaty A/T tires onto it
Old 3/16/10, 10:37 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
this is the stance I always wanted out of mine. Im just going to go roughly the same route with a 89 Chevy k1500 dad and I are about to pick up hopefully.

Old 3/16/10, 10:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

A well done body lift I would not count that out either

Quick Reply: My "new" truck