General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Input from experienced folk about Superchargers

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/05, 11:19 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I am throwing around some long-term plans for next year…….

And having no practical experience on the subject myself, I was curious for people’s experience/opinions – just how practical is a super charged car for daily driving??

It doesn’t have to be an S197 as I would like all input…

Related to S197s however, what did you go with? Procharger? Vortech? Paxton? Saleen?
Did you self-install or have a shop do it?

I know Bryan (2005RedGT) went Procharger and I’d be curious to hear that latest on how that sweet ride is doing….

Anyway, thanks to all who take the time to respond!
Old 10/17/05, 11:36 AM
Bullitt Member

First and foremost, my vote goes to ProCharger.

Best engineered kit IMO, great power gain, looks great, and installs very easy.

As far as driveability, theoretically it shouldn't be any different unless you want it to be. Centrifugal blowers are pretty forgiving on the street. They add most of the power in the higher RPM range and if you keep your foot out of it, you'll still get decent gas mileage. I think my mileage may have improved now that I don't drive the car as hard as before. The added power is great.

The only real trick to running the ProCharger or probably any supercharger is that it needs to be tuned by a pro. Preferably dyno tuned. Mine is going in for that tomorrow, so I should have some numbers based on my fairly mild tune.

The installation was done by me, my dad, and a friend in a friend's garage (like a real garage, with a lift, not at someone's home) and took us roughly a day and a half. The install is really straightforward and there were only a few moments when we scratched our heads a bit. The kit really went in nicely and looks fantastic. It looks a lot cleaner than the aftercooled kits out there from Vortech and the like as the intercooler is a front-mount style.

From a comfort/everyday standpoint, you might not like the noise. Centrifugal blowers are noisy. If you're like me, and you like your exhaust loud, your stance low, and your car fast, the noise is a small price to pay. In fact, I dig the noise when driving, but in line at the drive through or in traffic it can get a bit annoying.

As price goes, ProCharger is the most expensive I believe, but it has a good bang for the buck factor. Very nice s/c unit, piping, etc. It also comes with a FlowCharger which boosts your fuel pump. You also get 39# injectors, a new low-profile electric fan and shroud, overflow bottle, and air intake.

I hope that answered most of your questions. If I forgot anything or misinformed you in any way, I'm sure someone will set the record straight.

Good luck with your decision!

Kris Horton
Old 10/17/05, 12:11 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
actually the new kenne bell is pricy....$6000. i saw it in a magazine. but its boosting a stock 05 200 hp
Old 10/17/05, 01:36 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by RaGsHoCkEy88@October 17, 2005, 12:14 PM
actually the new kenne bell is pricy....$6000. i saw it in a magazine. but its boosting a stock 05 200 hp
Everything I read from the forums is that you can't buy this yet though, so it's difficult to know if it will really turn out that way. It would certainly be nice though

I'm sorry I don't have anything to add to this discussion, as I'm more on the question than the answer side of this issue.
Old 10/17/05, 02:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Dave,
I can't claim to have any hands on experience with Superchargers but I must say from what I have heard and read in many Mustang publications there are different units for different applications.

For brute power and great top end performance I have heard that centrifugal (Paxton, Procharger, Vortech) superchargers are best. I have also heard that roots type blowers (Saleen, Kenne Bell, etc.) are best for street use.

As for reliability, I think that really depends on how much boost you are producing and how stock or reinforced your engine is. Other than that I don't see any issues whatsoever with reliability as long as the install is done correctly.

Here's a neat article I found for you...

All about superchargers
Old 10/17/05, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@October 17, 2005, 2:47 PM
For brute power and great top end performance I have heard that centrifugal (Paxton, Procharger, Vortech) superchargers are best. I have also heard that roots type blowers (Saleen, Kenne Bell, etc.) are best for street use.
I was under the impression that "roots" type is different from "twin screw" type, which is what the Saleen and Kenne Bell are. Am I wrong?
Old 10/17/05, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Daily driving should be just fine, power on tap when you want/need it. It is ALL in the tune that gets put in the car. I would personally have the car tuned on a dyno by a very reputable shop. Many times you end up getting better fuel mileage due the effeciancy of the tune (as long as you keep your foot out of it). Procharger seems like the way to go on these motors too as mentioned above.
Old 10/17/05, 04:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by clockworks@October 17, 2005, 5:33 PM
I was under the impression that "roots" type is different from "twin screw" type, which is what the Saleen and Kenne Bell are. Am I wrong?
You know what, I believe you are correct on that. It may be in the article...
Old 10/17/05, 05:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yep you are correct. Roots type blowers use lobes or rotors to trap and force a fixed amount of air into the intake manifold while a twin screw blower has two lobes or rotors (male and female) that rotate inward and compress air towards the front of the case.
Old 10/17/05, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ahh cool. It's funny cuz me and a friend got into a huge debate about this this weekend. I don't really know much about s/c's so he almost had me believing roots = twin screw.
Old 10/17/05, 06:55 PM
GTR Member

I have not done any supercharger installs myself, but my uncle did and his thoughts are: Procharger, took 8 hours to install (took his time and double checked everything) no driveability issues at all, as a matter of fact its quite alot of fun to get stared at everytime u slow down as the blower is whine'ing.

I myself love the SALEEN and kenne bell kits.
Old 10/18/05, 10:39 AM
Big Falken Tires

Thanks for all the GREAT feedback so far!

Kris - great writeup bro! You gotta let me know how things are after the tune!

Andy - thanks for that article link!

Truthfully, I seem to find myself leaning towards the Saleen unit.....

Again this is only pie in the sky dreming for right now - If I DO get around to doing this (and stealing the money to do it) I would definitly take it to a shop to have it custom tuned....
Old 10/18/05, 02:46 PM
GTR Member

The saleen is probably the most powerful unit available for the 05, making 390rwhp on 3.5psi of boost.
Old 10/20/05, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Fordracing200@October 18, 2005, 2:49 PM
The saleen is probably the most powerful unit available for the 05, making 390rwhp on 3.5psi of boost.

Hi all! New here but I am looking to S/C my 06 so this caught my eye.

I like the positive displacement types myself, but I am biased. I recently lost a dear friend of mine. My 10th ann. Black Cobra... may she rest in pieces. (rain accident). But I really enjoyed the lower RPM power of the roots type charger on there. And when that thing would wind high it sounded like you were going to have to ask for clearance for take off! I could live with or without the whine but I dug the power.

That is why I think I am leaning toward the Saleen unit. Twin screw, clean install, highly efficient and it looks sweet! You could have a lot of fun with just 5psi with this one. Mine is daily driven so lower internal stress is a plus for me (unless I start abusing her . Another plus to the Saleen system is that you are also getting a new intake as it is integrated into the design which allows it to improve the way air is moved into the engine.

But that is just my .02.

I loved the Cobra but I'm proud to be a S197 driver!!

cheers!
Old 10/21/05, 06:42 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Welcome to the site Sean. I agree with you on the low end power of a roots blower. They can't be beat.
Old 10/21/05, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the welcome!
Old 10/21/05, 02:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Can you make the gross generalization that the longevity of the engine is directly related to the amount of boost the supercharger makes? Of course I suppose there is a threshold boost that below that psi there is negligible stress to the engine which might muddy up the waters a bit.

Therefore you could make a table of boost vs. horsepower/torque vs. cost vs. longevity of engine and get an idea of the biggest "bang for the buck".
Old 10/21/05, 02:18 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
It varies from motor to motor, but I think logevity of the motor is more determined by the quality and accuracy of the tune in the car. Run it lean, you motor wont last long at all. Run it to rich and It will just run crappy. Also, not over doing it with the boost plays a big part.