General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

If You Build It, They Will Come

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/07 | 03:29 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Next 3 years, excluding Mazda and Volvo for the sake of argument, with calander years

Ford models with major updates/midcyles/refreshes in the next 3 years:

Fusion/Milan/MKZ - 2009
Mustang - 2009
F-150 - 2008
Taurus/Sable/X - 2010

Ford models with all-new replacement in the next 3 years:

Explorer/Mountaineer - 2010
Focus - 2010 (thankfully)

All-new Ford/Linc/Merc Vehicles in the next 3 years:

Flex - 2008
Fiesta (Verve) - 2009
MKS - 2008
MKF (Flex with MKS treatment) - 2009/10

And those are what we're pretty sure about.
Are we sure? I have read much of the same thing, but it all seems to be couched in tentative language.

But let's say that list is accurate. Here are my observations >>

Fusion/Milan/MKZ
Why are we still badge engineering cars? Hell, for that matter, why is Mercury even around anymore? It's fully redundant in its present form. Major updates? What will that entail, I wonder? Warmed over refreshes? They better be substantive, or I doubt it will help lift Ford out of the sales doldrums.

We've seen no concept sketches or artist renderings or accurate visual speculation here - certainly not the kind you would anticipate with an exciting all-new model roll out.

Taurus/Sable/X - 2010
Ugh. Kill this dinosaur NOW. Come up with something new, original and segment busting.

Are we EVER gonna get some sort of Interceptor?

Oh, that's right, we're a company that builds CONCEPT cars, not real cars.

Explorer/Mountaineer - 2010
I'm not qualified to remark on this vehicle, because I have no idea what Ford will do here. I'll only say once again: why two barely disguised variations of the same vehicle? "Look, identical strangers."

Focus - 2010 (thankfully)
Thankfully is right. Let's just hope they don't slap it with some insipid Gillette styling because they figure North Americans are "too stupid" to get the kinetic design language for which it was originally intended to work.

Truthfully, it should have been here yesterday. In the six years since J. Mays talked about all the great new products coming on the horizon (where are they, exactly, 'J.'?), GM has leveraged its global holdings.

Flex - 2008
Fiesta (Verve) - 2009
MKS - 2008
MKF (Flex with MKS treatment) - 2009/10

The Flex is yet another SUV/minivan hybrid among many from Ford. Will it succeed? Perhaps. At least the build quality and interior show some signs of real improvement, but I'm not sure it's a home run. Ford needs a trifecta of home runs...but they really need them NOW, not in two years.

Fiesta could be good - again, depends upon the execution.

MKS is a bit Zzzzzzzzz. It's the top-of-the line Lincoln, yet it pales beside the entry level CTS.

MKF?!?! Great, here we go again - MORE badge engineering. This has to be one of the dumbest holdover strategies Ford still engages in, which is one reason I am losing all faith in this company. It comes out of the same mentality that gave birth to the Lincoln LT pickup truck. Unbelievable.

Originally Posted by Moosetang
As for blaming Mulally: remember that outside the GT, it takes 3 years minimum before a greenlit project sees the road. Recall that "Maximum Bob" first "wowed" us with the GTO, and it wasn't until the CTS that any of his big debuts weren't just re-badges of imports. That means we really won't see Mulally fingerprints on stuff until this upcoming Detroit. So lets reserve judgement on his product decisions until we actually see them, hmm?
OK, I will reserve judgement until Alan has had a chance to ply his wares at Detroit. But I am highly skeptical given that this is a company that "cries wolf" year-after-year and then wonders why its sales and market share are steadily eroding.
Old 11/28/07 | 04:21 PM
Cobra Member

The '500' itself isn't exactly an old model. The Taurus may be an updated 500 but it is more than just a renamed 500.
Both the Taurus and Sable are selling, and they are hardly 'redundant'

The Fusion/Milan are also not 'old' models and in fact very nice cars.

The current F150 and SD are also not 'old' yet Ford is already coming out with a new F150, but tehy need it out this coming spring.

Mays has been behind some of those great 'concepts' he however isn't the one that makes the decision to build them. As I understand Mulallay was very surprised the Intereceptor wasn't given the green light. We don't know if he's been able to do anything abut that.
Ford does need more RWD passenger car offerings.

The CTS on the other hand is not 'new' and it's latest version is nothing less than boring. The Malibu is insipid and certainly not an on fire sales success, despite the automotive press raving.

What else does GM have that is new and exiting, and here RIGHT NOW?
Old 11/28/07 | 05:00 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by RCSignals
The '500' itself isn't exactly an old model. The Taurus may be an updated 500 but it is more than just a renamed 500.

Both the Taurus and Sable are selling, and they are hardly 'redundant'
Sure, and a few people bought tickets to Ishtar, too.

Sales of the 2008 Ford Taurus full-size sedan have actually declined since the why-didn't-we-do-this-before name change in June from the Five Hundred. According to Automotive News, combined September sales of 4230 units of the Taurus and Five Hundred are 30.1 percent below sales of one year ago and down 3.2 percent in August. Link

The Fusion/Milan are also not 'old' models and in fact very nice cars.
The Fusion and Milan are doing quite well, granted. But Ford needs to stay on the ball and give them a refresh PDQ if they want to keep up with market trends that see other manufacturers doing this on a regular basis.

I saw a new Malibu a few days ago. Fit (body panel gaps), finish and overall presentation handily trump Fusion/Milan.

The current F150 and SD are also not 'old' yet Ford is already coming out with a new F150, but tehy need it out this coming spring.
I can't quite discern your point in that run-on sentence, but the current F-150 IS old compared to the competition; yes a new F-150 is on the way; and I agree they need it this coming spring, which sort of supports the idea that the current F-150 is old.

Mays has been behind some of those great 'concepts' he however isn't the one that makes the decision to build them. As I understand Mulallay was very surprised the Intereceptor wasn't given the green light. We don't know if he's been able to do anything abut that.
Mays is an arrogant buffoon who six years ago promised a big product turnaround; a renaissance, if you will, and who instead just keeps building concepts that never, ever seem to see the light of day. His latest claim: "We'll be ready in six years."

Ford ought to fire his a$$ pronto!

Ford does need more RWD passenger car offerings.
Agreed. But where are they? Nary a peep of anything real, beyond the Interceptor concept - and we all know how THAT'S going.

The CTS on the other hand is not 'new' and it's latest version is nothing less than boring.

The Malibu is insipid and certainly not an on fire sales success, despite the automotive press raving.

You like that word, insipid, don't you?

What else does GM have that is new and exiting, and here RIGHT NOW?
I'd suggest you have another look at their current and near-term product lineup.

What does Ford have that is new and exciting and here RIGHT NOW?
Old 11/28/07 | 07:02 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Sure, and a few people bought tickets to Ishtar, too.

Sales of the 2008 Ford Taurus full-size sedan have actually declined since the why-didn't-we-do-this-before name change in June from the Five Hundred. According to Automotive News, combined September sales of 4230 units of the Taurus and Five Hundred are 30.1 percent below sales of one year ago and down 3.2 percent in August. Link
All the dealers I've talked to have claimed teh Taurus/Sable is selling well. Perhaps Automotive news should report real numbers?

The Fusion and Milan are doing quite well, granted. But Ford needs to stay on the ball and give them a refresh PDQ if they want to keep up with market trends that see other manufacturers doing this on a regular basis.
They are already new. What manufacturer changes styles every year these days?

I saw a new Malibu a few days ago. Fit (body panel gaps), finish and overall presentation handily trump Fusion/Milan.
Sure

I can't quite discern your point in that run-on sentence, but the current F-150 IS old compared to the competition; yes a new F-150 is on the way; and I agree they need it this coming spring, which sort of supports the idea that the current F-150 is old.
More comprehension problems? The current F150 is new, and no one has surpassed it, yet Ford will stay on top with a new model, not just a grille change.

Mays is an arrogant buffoon who six years ago promised a big product turnaround; a renaissance, if you will, and who instead just keeps building concepts that never, ever seem to see the light of day. His latest claim: "We'll be ready in six years."

Ford ought to fire his a$$ pronto!
Mays is only the chief designer, hardly the only designer.
I could care less if he stays or goes, but it's other levels that need to change their decision making.
It was Elena Ford who nixed a Supercharged Marauder, a stupid igorant decision.

Agreed. But where are they? Nary a peep of anything real, beyond the Interceptor concept - and we all know how THAT'S going.
Where are they from GM? RWD Impala, cancelled!

You like that word, insipid, don't you?
yes it fits

I'd suggest you have another look at their current and near-term product lineup.
You better list them, no one else can find anything exiting that's here RIGHT NOW.

What does Ford have that is new and exciting and here RIGHT NOW?
They've already been out, short attention span?
They need to keep them coming, and they need a RWD passenger car other than the Mustang.
Old 11/28/07 | 07:25 PM
Closet American

All the dealers I've talked to have claimed teh Taurus/Sable is selling well. Perhaps Automotive news should report real numbers?
LOL!

ALL the dealers, huh? Now there's a well of accurate, honest, comprehensive empirical data.

"All" the dealers I've spoken to say just the opposite.

Either way, I'll take Automotive news' research over yours any day.

They are already new. What manufacturer changes styles every year these days?
Fusion arrived in '05. We're heading into '08. More and more manufacturers are refreshing vehicles after only three year cycles to stay competitive.

More comprehension problems? The current F150 is new, and no one has surpassed it, yet Ford will stay on top with a new model, not just a grille change.
New, huh? Ya mean "new" like the NEW Silverado?

Current F-150 has been around since 2004. There have been competing trucks that have since arrived that beat it on power, features and towing capacity. The new model can't arrive too soon because of this.

Mays is only the chief designer, hardly the only designer.
"Chief" designer. Do you know what "chief" means, chief?

It means sh*t flows downhill.

RWD Impala, cancelled!
And rightfully so - it was another zebra in a herd of them.

You better list them, no one else can find anything exiting that's here RIGHT NOW.
"No one else," huh? So now you speak for everyone on TMS, too, eh?

I'm not doing your work for you, lazy. The information is commonly available, if you'd choose to do a little research, instead of constantly looking for arguments on TMS.

They've already been out, short attention span?
Gosh, I must have missed them. Or just maybe, like the rest of the automotive public, they didn't make enough of an impression upon me to distinguish themselves.

Here's a tip: Perhaps you should hire someone to fact check your information before posting.

Old 11/28/07 | 08:54 PM
Cobra Member

LOL!

..................The information is commonly available, if you'd choose to do a little research, instead of constantly looking for arguments on TMS.

Here's a tip: Perhaps you should hire someone to fact check your information before posting.

That's rich coming from you.
Old 11/28/07 | 09:20 PM
Closet American

That's rich coming from you.

Old 11/28/07 | 09:30 PM
I lust for a M24

Old 11/29/07 | 08:27 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Ford's North American lineup, comparatively speaking, looks pretty sad. Ford looks like they're just sitting on their hands, waiting for divine intervention, while GM gets off its a$$ and actually takes action.
Sad, but very true, GM is doing an excellent job with thier new models, Ford is ahhhhhhh................ yeah, well I hope they have some super secret plan like GM's that they are working on but want to make it a big surprise.