General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Which HID set did you go with

Search this Thread

Old 3/26/14, 04:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Which HID set did you go with

For those of you who use aftermarket HID's which did you choose?, 35 or 55W? Also which bulb color did you pick, 4300k, 5,000k, 6,000k, etc?

I have my eyeballs on the Raxiom smoked projector halo headlights and have read the only issue is the light output is poor using the H9 bulbs. I have read for the smoked raxiom headlights too go with HID's and that solves the issue of poor light output. I'm thinking of 35W and 5,000k because I'm looking for a nice bright white light. I'm not looking for any blueish color especially because of the smoked lenses on the Raxiom.

It was also my understanding 55W may be too hot and possibly cause damage to the headlight housing or wiring harness. Any suggestions based on my goals.
Old 3/26/14, 05:07 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm waiting for some to arrive in the mail, hopefully this week. I went with DDM Tuning. It was about the same price as buying new bulbs, so I figured why not finally give them a try.

I also have aftermarket projectors, and had heard about potential issues with 55w kits. So I went with 35w, 4300k. I'll try to get a before and after pic of the cutoff/output, if I remember.
Old 3/26/14, 05:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
I'm waiting for some to arrive in the mail, hopefully this week. I went with DDM Tuning. It was about the same price as buying new bulbs, so I figured why not finally give them a try.

I also have aftermarket projectors, and had heard about potential issues with 55w kits. So I went with 35w, 4300k. I'll try to get a before and after pic of the cutoff/output, if I remember.
If you don't mind me asking what did your HID's cost? I have been told when it comes to HID's you get what you pay for. Not saying that's true. A buddy of mine highly recommends me staying away from a 40 dollar HID kit. He is not saying I need too spend 200 Phillips HID kit either. I did find a company that sells HID kits for around 140 and that has a life time warranty from defects. Here is its link. Perhaps you have heard of this brand HID or company?

http://www.hidkitxenonlights.com/hig...-mustang-2011/
Old 3/26/14, 06:13 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

If you don't mind me asking what did your HID's cost? I have been told when it comes to HID's you get what you pay for. Not saying that's true. A buddy of mine highly recommends me staying away from a 40 dollar HID kit. He is not saying I need too spend 200 Phillips HID kit either. I did find a company that sells HID kits for around 140 and that has a life time warranty from defects. Here is its link. Perhaps you have heard of this brand HID or company?

http://www.hidkitxenonlights.com/hig...-mustang-2011/
I think they were a little under $60 shipped...shipping is a *****, since they're coming from China.

When I was shopping around, I was seeing exactly the opposite as far as price is concerned...they all seem like they're "cheap" **** from overseas. The site you posted looks to be playing the "it's super awesome, cuz the superior Germans made it" card.

I went with one that had a lifetime warranty. So it's either gonna work or it's not. I figure I'm not gonna drop a bunch of money on it, until I get a proper retrofit.
Old 3/26/14, 06:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I think they were a little under $60 shipped...shipping is a *****, since they're coming from China.

When I was shopping around, I was seeing exactly the opposite as far as price is concerned...they all seem like they're "cheap" **** from overseas. The site you posted looks to be playing the "it's super awesome, cuz the superior Germans made it" card.

I went with one that had a lifetime warranty. So it's either gonna work or it's not. I figure I'm not gonna drop a bunch of money on it, until I get a proper retrofit.
What do you mean proper retrofit and what year is your stang? I have the 2011 model which doesn't have factory HID's. I have no idea if the German HID's are built better. The company I posted also claims they have a full lifetime warranty on all the parts that are faulty for life. Seemed okay. The company also gives you a 10% discount code if you share there link on Facebook, Twitter, etc social media.

So actually pulled the trigger just a few minutes ago on this company that makes the German HID's for my wife's Mazda Van. With the 10% discount it came to 115 dollars. I got 35W 5000k.
Old 3/26/14, 06:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Here was the total! Hope there good or I won't be ordering a set for the pony.

Name:  ForumRunner_20140326_204753.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  17.2 KB
Old 3/26/14, 08:04 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

What do you mean proper retrofit and what year is your stang? I have the 2011 model which doesn't have factory HID's. I have no idea if the German HID's are built better. The company I posted also claims they have a full lifetime warranty on all the parts that are faulty for life. Seemed okay. The company also gives you a 10% discount code if you share there link on Facebook, Twitter, etc social media.

So actually pulled the trigger just a few minutes ago on this company that makes the German HID's for my wife's Mazda Van. With the 10% discount it came to 115 dollars. I got 35W 5000k.
Mine is a 2005, but I've had projectors for a while now. By proper retrofit, I meant taking apart my headlights and putting in a good projector that is made for HID's instead of halogens. Also at which point I'll probably do red halos/accents/etc., but that'll probably be a long ways down the road.

Using the wife's car as a guinea pig... Good luck with them. I hope they work out. I'd be interested in some before/after pics, if you remember.

Last edited by stupidgenius36; 3/26/14 at 08:11 PM.
Old 3/26/14, 08:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

By retrofit, I meant taking apart my headlights and putting in a good projector that is made for HID's instead of halogens. Also at which point I'll probably do red halos/accents/etc., but that'll probably be a long ways down the road.

Using the wife's car as a guinea pig...
Lmao. Hummmmmm, guinea pig. Would I do that too my wife?.ha ha ha ha! I understand what you mean now by retro fit. I absolutely love those Raxiom smoked projection halo headlights. They look super amazing I think but funny how I can't recall seeing other mustangs with them.

They make them look so wicked the smoked halo projection.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/26/14 at 08:13 PM.
Old 3/26/14, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DDM Tuning! Awesome price, great quality and lifetime warranty.

Had 55w 6,000k in my trucks headlights, high beams and fogs for over a year with no issues.

55w 6,000k headlights & Fogs( yet to be installed...waiting till I move.)
Old 3/28/14, 01:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got mine from Retro Solutions for my 2012 GT. Purchased a set of 35w HID CANBUS lights with bulb capping. 4300k, BEAUTIFUL pure white light. Makes the stock lights look really yellow and my LEDs look too blue (getting rid of them). Free shipping if I'm not mistaken, total came out to about 160 with the regular balasts and bulb capping.