Government investigation stalling Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 6/2/05, 08:13 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
from . . http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0...1/01-200616.htm

Government investigating engine stalling in Toyota Prius

By Ken Thomas / Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- The government has opened an investigation of the hot-selling hybrid Toyota Prius amid reports of the engine stalling without warning, officials said Wednesday.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the preliminary investigation will involve about 75,000 cars of the 2004-2005 model years.

Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc. said in a statement that it was "an early stage inquiry to determine if further analysis is warranted, not a recall."

The company said it was cooperating with NHTSA and would provide the agency with the complete results of its internal investigation.

The Prius has been a hugely popular model in the United States, leading to waiting lists. Automotive experts have said it is the first economy car with a higher resale value.

Hybrid vehicles deliver better mileage by switching between a gasoline engine and an electric motor. Toyota Motor Corp. leads in hybrid sales, with cumulative global sales of 381,500.

The agency said it has received 33 complaints of alleged engine stalling. The majority of the complaints involved reports of the engine stalling at speeds of 35 miles per hour and 65 mph.

Some of the complaints indicated that the vehicle was operated in electric mode for some period after the gas engine stalled, NHTSA said.

All of the complaints reported that the engine shut down without warning and about half of the complaints said that when the engine shut off, the vehicle would not restart and required the vehicle to be towed.

Toyota executives noted there has been no reported cases of deaths or injuries from the engine problems.

NHTSA investigations sometimes lead to vehicle recalls.

Toyota officials said last month they were investigating complaints about the Prius stalling. More than 88,000 2004 and 2005 Prius cars have been sold in the United States.

On the Net:
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration: http://www.nhtsa.gov/
Toyota: http://www.toyota.com
Old 6/2/05, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully they take care of this in a timely manner.
Old 6/2/05, 09:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

First it takes them forever to release specs for rescue on the Prius then this! Oops! I really hope they have to learn the hard way, it seems as if they need a wakeup call. All of this on top of an 880,000 truck recall toyota :notnice:
Old 6/2/05, 01:38 PM
GTR Member

wow, what a recall. The Prius has its issues, i dont think hybrids are gonna be worth anything until 5 or 6 years from now when the bugs are worked out.
Old 6/2/05, 01:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has there been any problems with the Escape?
Old 6/2/05, 01:54 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by holderca1@June 2, 2005, 3:54 PM
Has there been any problems with the Escape?
No . . . the Escape uses different software.
Old 6/3/05, 11:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Escapes are doing great. I tthink Cali is using them as Taxi's now. Great idea!
Old 6/3/05, 11:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 1999 Black 35th GT@June 2, 2005, 10:09 AM
First it takes them forever to release specs for rescue on the Prius then this! Oops! I really hope they have to learn the hard way, it seems as if they need a wakeup call. All of this on top of an 880,000 truck recall toyota :notnice:
What was the truck recall? I have had nothing but good luck with all the Toyotas I have had. Over 150k each on 3 different ones with no problems. Used to be that you could'nt tear up a 'Yota if you tried.
Old 6/4/05, 10:12 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't think us ford fans should be laughing at toyota... its pretty darn embarrassing for ford that they had to recall the "pace car" for its entire company... to the point that they had to warn people not to drive their cars until the repair had been completed. that was a real disappointment, and it diminished my ford bragging rights a lot, at least around people who read about this stuff in the news.
But ya, my girlfriend laughs at me whenever ford recalls make the news, thinks i'm dumb for loving a big american car company, well... so do i. But nobody seems to understand that EVERYbody gets recalls..
Old 6/4/05, 10:26 AM
GT Member

It will be interesting to see how king-of-arrogance Toyota handles the Prius situation.

I certainly recognize the kind of operation Toyota has put together, and I'm not immune to the statistics that show their cars tend to be built very well. The only Toyo I've ever owned was a Pontiac Vibe -- yeah, you might as well call it a Toyo because pretty much all of the internals came from them. It sure ran well, but it was so boring, when my wife totaled it I was honestly glad because it allowed me to get a Mazda6.

Perhaps I'm just disappointed that such a well-organized car company as Toyota can't come up with anything interesting for me to drive.
Old 6/4/05, 01:35 PM
Cobra R Member

ya, i agree, i was out on my bike and i saw a bunch of those new solara 'verts...
talk about a boring car, also quite effeminate.

I'm really curious to know what their upcoming super car is gonna be like. Seen a couple spy shots, but its all disguised, hard to tell whether its gonna be really inspiring, or just typical fast car looks...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7633

TCC says it might be a 500 horse V10 (low on torque though...) with a price tag well over $100K. Sounds like a "me too" reaction to the Ford GT, though this doesn't seem to have nearly as much soul so far.
More recently, the july motor trend is hinting that this thing could be a hybrid. That'd be a lot more interesting if you ask me. An electric motor would really help out the lack of torque issue with that v10.

as long as the thing doesn't stall once you hit 65mph.
Old 6/4/05, 01:58 PM
GTR Member

ugly import, the GT would whip it
Old 6/4/05, 02:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@June 4, 2005, 12:15 PM
I don't think us ford fans should be laughing at toyota... its pretty darn embarrassing for ford that they had to recall the "pace car" for its entire company... to the point that they had to warn people not to drive their cars until the repair had been completed. that was a real disappointment, and it diminished my ford bragging rights a lot, at least around people who read about this stuff in the news.
But ya, my girlfriend laughs at me whenever ford recalls make the news, thinks i'm dumb for loving a big american car company, well... so do i. But nobody seems to understand that EVERYbody gets recalls..

Thats my father in laws problem. He refused to look at any other truck but the tundra and took it up the rear. He bought the truck in two days and didn't even try to negotiate, thus he is paying $676 a month for five years.

His reason was and these are his words "toyota's never get recalled." I tried to tell him that every company does but he wouldn't listen. Now his is being recalled, see link below:

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detail...D=1117915902715

He had nothing to say about this. I laugh at toyota because they have a "holier than thou" attitude about their vehicles like GMconvert said. I laugh because they have been getting worse and worse over the years. The camry and corolla both failed the side crash test and the Ford 500 aced it!

Heres a blurp to the recall thingy though:

Toyota. From the "Just When We Thought They Were Invincible" File comes news that Toyota - otherwise known as the "Sultans of Swat" and those "Can't Miss Kids" - is recalling 880,000 SUVs and trucks worldwide due to problems with the front suspension. The problem stems from a defective ball joint, which can make the vehicles difficult to steer. The recall includes 2001-2004 model year Tacoma trucks, 2001-2002 4Runners, and 2002-2004 models of the Sequoia and Tundra. It is one of the largest recalls in the company's history, and it's further proof that no automaker is immune from the bad publicity a recall can generate. Recalls are difficult for any automaker, but for Toyota, which is rapidly approaching "holier than thou" status, it's more than that - it's flat-out embarrassing. And as if that weren't enough, Toyota is looking into complaints from owners of 13 Prius hybrids who say that the cars unexpectedly lost power while traveling between 45 and 60 mph. Oops.
and some words of wisdom from Tomservo which are true:

If I remember correctly, the Camry has had 9 safety recalls in the last 5 years. That being said, I think the Camry is a fine if somewhat uninspiring car. But it isn't the paragon the automotive qualilty that some people think it is. As a former owner of an Acura, I can tell you Honda's aren't either. My Mazda6, with it's Ford-sourced V6, has been the most trouble-free car I have ever owned...period.
and finally a link from a disgruntled toyota consumer:

http://groups.msn.com/ToyotaOwnersUniteforResolution

I whole heartedly agree that no auto manufacturer is perfect but people need to remove their rose colored glasses about toyota.

Thanks for listening all!
Old 6/4/05, 02:22 PM
GTR Member

Andy, my uncles 02 F-150 Lariat is only 500 a month
Old 6/4/05, 02:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Fordracing200@June 4, 2005, 4:25 PM
Andy, my uncles 02 F-150 Lariat is only 500 a month

I know!! I tried to convince himt to look around or negotiate since he was going in with cash. I also suggested an 04 leftover but he insisted it had to be an 05. He gets paid 400 a month from his company for it but now hes thinking of leaving in the next year. That means he'll have to pay $676 for 3 and a half years on his own. Trust me my mother in law has already told him that if he does leave the job the truck is going. All in all he's just not very money savvy
Old 6/4/05, 10:40 PM
GTR Member

wow, obviously, My uncle bought his as a leftover, a lariat, heavy duty 7700 series , 36k dollar truck, he talked them down to 32k and he pays 500/month, and its gorgeous too.
Old 6/6/05, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@June 4, 2005, 1:38 PM
ya, i agree, i was out on my bike and i saw a bunch of those new solara 'verts...
talk about a boring car, also quite effeminate.

I'm really curious to know what their upcoming super car is gonna be like. Seen a couple spy shots, but its all disguised, hard to tell whether its gonna be really inspiring, or just typical fast car looks...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7633

TCC says it might be a 500 horse V10 (low on torque though...) with a price tag well over $100K. Sounds like a "me too" reaction to the Ford GT, though this doesn't seem to have nearly as much soul so far.
More recently, the july motor trend is hinting that this thing could be a hybrid. That'd be a lot more interesting if you ask me. An electric motor would really help out the lack of torque issue with that v10.

as long as the thing doesn't stall once you hit 65mph.
Isn't that this car? Look at the exhaust.

Old 6/6/05, 09:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I read/heard somewhere that the main problem with hybrid's is going to be the 2nd or 3rd owner when the batteries need to be replaced. I think it was mentioned that the batteries need to be replaced after 5-6 years to the tune of $10K or so.
Old 6/6/05, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by GhostTX@June 6, 2005, 9:17 AM
I read/heard somewhere that the main problem with hybrid's is going to be the 2nd or 3rd owner when the batteries need to be replaced. I think it was mentioned that the batteries need to be replaced after 5-6 years to the tune of $10K or so.
I am sure that will hurt their resale value.
Old 6/6/05, 09:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by holderca1@June 6, 2005, 11:29 AM
I am sure that will hurt their resale value.
I'm sure it will and deservedly so. Heres some further info on the prius investigation

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/01/Auto...rius/index.htm

not good for them