General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

GM's March sales

Search this Thread

Old 4/3/07, 02:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
GM's March sales

Here's the link. March wasn't a good month for the General.
Old 4/3/07, 03:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big drop in rental sales and overall sales. LOL at the "235% crossover increase," that's what happens when you actually start selling crossovers.
Old 4/3/07, 07:54 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not unexpected. At least they're on the right track with their product renaissance. But it will take time for consumers to catch up. A lot of public goodwill towards American automakers has been squandered over the past 25 years.
Old 4/3/07, 08:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Not unexpected. At least they're on the right track with their product renaissance. But it will take time for consumers to catch up. A lot of public goodwill towards American automakers has been squandered over the past 25 years.
I'm not sure I agree. Some of their new products are sputtering. The Aura is tanking right out of the box. They have something like a 125-day supply on hand. Last years media darling, the Solstice is down by over 40% so far this year (the Miata, which was supposed to get squashed by the Solstice, handily outsold it in March). The F-series missed outselling the much newer and (allegedly) much better Chevy/GMC twins combined sales by only 649 units in spite of a being a four year old design. None of GM's new crossovers are even close in sales to the Edge/MKX.
Old 4/3/07, 08:16 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

On the other hand, check Impala's sales. I didn't know it was so popular.
Old 4/3/07, 08:59 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TomServo92
I'm not sure I agree. Some of their new products are sputtering. The Aura is tanking right out of the box. They have something like a 125-day supply on hand. Last years media darling, the Solstice is down by over 40% so far this year (the Miata, which was supposed to get squashed by the Solstice, handily outsold it in March). The F-series missed outselling the much newer and (allegedly) much better Chevy/GMC twins combined sales by only 649 units in spite of a being a four year old design. None of GM's new crossovers are even close in sales to the Edge/MKX.
As I said, it will take time, but on balance, GM is improving dramatically. You just have to look at their products today and the ones due over the coming year to see that. They're a far cry from what the General was cranking out just 36 months ago.

Forthcoming vehicles to watch >>

- Buick Enclave
- Chevrolet Malibu
- Chevrolet Camaro
- Pontiac G8
- Cadillac CTS

If those vehicles see lackluster sales, then I would say GM's product-driven turnaround is a failure. But I think it's far too early to call the ball on them yet.

The CTS is particularly impressive. I had a good look at it at the Vancouver Auto Show last weekend, and I have to say, fit & finish were Lexus level. It really looks terrific. The V version ought to be something special. I had actually contemplated waiting for it for a time, but my budget just won't support it.
Old 4/3/07, 09:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
On the other hand, check Impala's sales. I didn't know it was so popular.
I don't know about nationwide, but in my region they have $2,500 rebates on Impalas.
Old 4/3/07, 09:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
If those vehicles see lackluster sales, then I would say GM's product-driven turnaround is a failure. But I think it's far too early to call the ball on them yet.
Agreed.
Old 4/4/07, 12:07 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

The funny thing is that Saturn's sales are listed as up, but the Sky's doing nothing and the Aura's going down in flames. They're up just becuase it couldn't get worse than last year.