General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

GM Said to Study Shedding Saab, Saturn, Pontiac

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/08, 06:00 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GM Said to Study Shedding Saab, Saturn, Pontiac

Just what I've been saying for some while now. This company needs to pare down DRAMATICALLY to survive in a rapidly adjusting global market.

All this company needs right now is Chevrolet and Cadillac (and grow Buick for Asia). Everything else is redundant.
Old 11/28/08, 06:28 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saab make sense, but how can they sell Saturn and Pontiac? It's not like Saturn and Pontiac don't share anything with other GM vehicles and like they have their own factories.
Old 11/28/08, 06:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

And what about Mercury? Why crated an entire car (Sable) when all they need to do is offer the interior as an option on the Taurus?
Old 11/28/08, 06:52 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Because at the end of the day - it's still a Ford.
Old 11/28/08, 07:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

If Mec becomes a small-car brand and sheds the sable in favor of say a Mercury Ka it can make a case for itself. The longer it's just cloneland the worse off everyone is.

What's their love affair with GMC? Has to be the most nonsensical brand out there.
Old 11/28/08, 09:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang
If Mec becomes a small-car brand and sheds the sable in favor of say a Mercury Ka it can make a case for itself. The longer it's just cloneland the worse off everyone is.

What's their love affair with GMC? Has to be the most nonsensical brand out there.
But what good is it to offer the Euro cars ONLY at a Mercury dealer? Do you know how many fewer dealers there are? If they bring a Ka, or a Falcon here, it NEEDS to be and HAS to be as a Ford, PERIOD!!
Old 11/28/08, 09:35 PM
Closet American

For as long as I can remember, Mercurys have always just been rebadged Fords with some added trim bits (with a few exceptions like the '90s Cougar).

Frankly, it didn't make much sense after 1978, and it makes NO sense now whatsoever. Unless Mercury is marketed as a whole different line of vehicles that fills legitimate holes in the Ford lineup, it's just useless.

And over at GM, that company needs to jettison Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and GMC. Any vehicles that are decent (i.e. Pontiac G8) can be brought into the Chevy fold. Make the G8 an Impala SS or something, I dunno. Why does this company need a Malibu, a G8, AND an Aura...?!?! WTF is the point of a Chevy Silverado and a GMC Sierra? Can someone explain that one to me?

"Hey boys, I got me a great idea! Since nobody is buyin' pickup trucks on account of the crap economy, let's maintain TWO separate divisions so that we can produce two versions of the identical truck!"

We all know GM's woes have been 50% self-inflicted over 35 years of bad decision making...and now the chickens have come home to roost. This could be the best thing that ever happened to the company. If it survives, it will almost certainly be a tighter, leaner, more efficient car maker.
Old 11/28/08, 09:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

As far as GM goes. Yes Buick will also fall by the wayside. Already being geared for the Asian market anyway. And so will go HUMMER and the GMC Trucks.

Now Back to the Mercury Question. In the not to distant future, and as a matter of fact, has already started, FORD, LINCOLN & MERCURY will become ONE Dealership. And with that, the Euro platforms WILL be the New Mercury.
Old 11/28/08, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
But what good is it to offer the Euro cars ONLY at a Mercury dealer? Do you know how many fewer dealers there are? If they bring a Ka, or a Falcon here, it NEEDS to be and HAS to be as a Ford, PERIOD!!
Where did I say "ONLY at Merc"? Ford of Europe has ten unique models, seven of which are smaller than a Mondeo. Rather than having all those models slot into Ford brand here, take the lower-volume offerings and plug them into this market with Merc badges. Here's how I'd break it down the cars:

Ka: Merc
Fiesta: Ford
Euro Fusion CUV: Merc
Focus: Ford
Focus Cabriolet: Merc
C-Max: Merc
Mondeo: Ford (Merge with Fusion)

Falcon is it's own issue...
Old 11/29/08, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
For as long as I can remember, Mercurys have always just been rebadged Fords with some added trim bits (with a few exceptions like the '90s Cougar).

Frankly, it didn't make much sense after 1978, and it makes NO sense now whatsoever. Unless Mercury is marketed as a whole different line of vehicles that fills legitimate holes in the Ford lineup, it's just useless.

Not sure how they would sell Pontiac and Saturn. The G8 is produced at a Holden plant in Australia. The Solstice, Sky and Opel GT are all basically the same car. Most of Saturn are rebadged Opels. Would they give the buyers the rights to produce everything that is currently produced by those divisions? Would they let someone else have rights to produce the Zeta platform (the G8s and Camaros platform)? Or would they just be selling them the Pontiac/Saturn name?

And over at GM, that company needs to jettison Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and GMC. Any vehicles that are decent (i.e. Pontiac G8) can be brought into the Chevy fold. Make the G8 an Impala SS or something, I dunno. Why does this company need a Malibu, a G8, AND an Aura...?!?! WTF is the point of a Chevy Silverado and a GMC Sierra? Can someone explain that one to me?

"Hey boys, I got me a great idea! Since nobody is buyin' pickup trucks on account of the crap economy, let's maintain TWO separate divisions so that we can produce two versions of the identical truck!"

We all know GM's woes have been 50% self-inflicted over 35 years of bad decision making...and now the chickens have come home to roost. This could be the best thing that ever happened to the company. If it survives, it will almost certainly be a tighter, leaner, more efficient car maker.
Yeah, I was saying the same thing on a different thread. Actually the Malibu/Aura and G8 are completely different vehicles. The G8 is by far the best large sedan that GM has right now, the Malibu/Aura are more mid-size.

This should be the new Chevrolet line-up:
Aveo (sub-compact)
Cobalt (compact)
Malibu (mid-size)
Impala (full-size; scrap the current version and rebadge the G8, the Impala should be a full-size RWD sedan again. Not to mention that the G8 GXP would mop the floor with the current Impala SS)
Camaro
Solstice/Sky (it would be nice to keep this car around)
Corvette
Volt (hybrid)
Equinox (mid-size CUV)
Traverse (full-size CUV)
Tahoe/Suburban (full-size SUV)
Colorado (mid-size truck)
Silverado (full-size truck)

Last edited by holderca1; 11/29/08 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11/29/08, 05:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by FLAstangx3
As far as GM goes. Yes Buick will also fall by the wayside. Already being geared for the Asian market anyway. And so will go HUMMER and the GMC Trucks.

Now Back to the Mercury Question. In the not to distant future, and as a matter of fact, has already started, FORD, LINCOLN & MERCURY will become ONE Dealership. And with that, the Euro platforms WILL be the New Mercury.
NOT TRUE (and take it from someone who works at a Ford store). We are a Ford franchise ONLY and do not have Mercury. Ford cannot force you buy another franchise!
Old 11/29/08, 05:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Moosetang
Where did I say "ONLY at Merc"? Ford of Europe has ten unique models, seven of which are smaller than a Mondeo. Rather than having all those models slot into Ford brand here, take the lower-volume offerings and plug them into this market with Merc badges. Here's how I'd break it down the cars:

Ka: Merc
Fiesta: Ford
Euro Fusion CUV: Merc
Focus: Ford
Focus Cabriolet: Merc
C-Max: Merc
Mondeo: Ford (Merge with Fusion)

Falcon is it's own issue...
Nice list, but it makes no sense. Have the Euro Focus a Ford, but not the Cabrio? WTH? That wouldn't work at all (example):
Salesperson: "Hello, how may I assist you today"?
Customer: "I would like to see the new Euro Focus you carry now?"
SP: "Be glad to, follow me (walking to row of Focuses)?"
Cus: "These are nice, but do you have the convertible?"
SP: "Sorry, but that is sold at Mercury dealers, I don't carry them?"
Cus: "Mercury dealers? Why did Ford do that? You sell the Focus, but not the converible version? Thats very odd?
SP: I know, tell me about it"
Cus: "Sorry to hear. That was the car I really wanted. I thank you for your time"?
LOST SALE!!

See what I mean? This won't be an isolated incident. It would happen ALL THE TIME!! Ford needs another convertible other than the Mustang, and this is it! And not every Ford dealer has a Mercury franchise. Around me, there are only 3 Mercury stores in a 25 mile radius.
Another thing, the C-Max as a Mercury? Remember the last time they had a minivan, the Monterey? Didn't sell a lick!! I'm telling you, you keep them AS Fords!! You have more dealers to sell them at, and hence more product can get out there for people to buy!

Last edited by 05fordgt; 11/29/08 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11/29/08, 07:07 AM
Closet American

Exactly. I see no realistic benefit to keeping Mercury. All you need is a diverse range of quality Fords and then keep refining Lincoln (like GM is doing with Caddy).

FORD CARS >>

-Ka (too small for North American tastes...so far)
-Global Fiesta (a small handful of variants: hatches, sedan, performance model)
-Global Focus (a small handful of variants: hatches, sedan, convertible coupe, performance model)
-Fusion: (will "fuse" with Mondeo in a couple of years anyway, but likely to offer regular, performance and hybrid models)
-Taurus (full size sedan with several trim levels and perhaps an SHO version)
-Mustang

Right now, that should be all the cars Ford needs.

Last edited by Hollywood_North GT; 11/29/08 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11/29/08, 10:11 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Ford needs to keep Mercury. Mercury buyers will not go back to Ford even if Ford is offering the same level of interior in their vehicles.
Old 11/29/08, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Red Star
Ford needs to keep Mercury. Mercury buyers will not go back to Ford even if Ford is offering the same level of interior in their vehicles.
What would they buy instead?
Old 11/29/08, 11:31 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Buick and Chrysler. Whatever is upper class from base models (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) and it's not too expensive.
Old 11/29/08, 07:23 PM
Closet American

Buick and Chrysler. Whatever is upper class from base models (Ford, Chevy, Dodge) and it's not too expensive.
That's unlikely. Buick is essentially a Chinese brand now, and Chrysler is dead already.
Old 11/29/08, 08:14 PM
Cobra Member

they need the F series pickup too, what if someone wants to buy a new truck?
Old 11/29/08, 11:07 PM

Two other dying brands. I guess they would have to go to either Honda or Toyota from here. Which I think they are doing anyway.
Old 11/30/08, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
See what I mean? This won't be an isolated incident. It would happen ALL THE TIME!! Ford needs another convertible other than the Mustang, and this is it! And not every Ford dealer has a Mercury franchise. Around me, there are only 3 Mercury stores in a 25 mile radius.
Another thing, the C-Max as a Mercury? Remember the last time they had a minivan, the Monterey? Didn't sell a lick!! I'm telling you, you keep them AS Fords!! You have more dealers to sell them at, and hence more product can get out there for people to buy!
The Focus Cabriolet re-badged as the Merc [insert name here] Cabriolet wouldn't cause that sort of problem. People who don't know about the car in Europe won't go to Ford expecting to see it, and people who DO know about the Euro Ford lineup will pay enough attention to follow the car to Merc. Unless they're dumb enough to call it the "Mercury Focus Cabriolet," but I doubt they are.

I could easily argue that the face-plant Windstar did at the end of it's life cycle is evidence that Ford shouldn't have minivans either. In fact, it doesn't. CUVs are marketed differently and if accompanied by other small-car products C-Max could have a good run as a Merc. Nobody thought the Mazda5 was a good idea after the MPV bombed, but it's Done Rather Well and doesn't feel out of place on the lot (I know, I used to work at one).

Quick Reply: GM Said to Study Shedding Saab, Saturn, Pontiac