General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

GM - 30,000 Employees/8 Plants

Search this Thread

Old 11/25/05, 11:19 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Andy Haynes@November 24, 2005, 11:38 AM
I think the Fusion from Ford should help them close the gap now.
Wish I shared that optimism.
Old 11/26/05, 11:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I absolutely believe that the unions are a big problem with the domestic guys. For the quality of build those they provide, they are compensated unbelievably. I know the designs have also been bad, but when you look at the amount of overhead that gets tacked onto every vehicle just to support pensions and huge healthcare plans you start to see the problem. I'm not saying that workers shouldn't be compensated, but its killing the companies. If domestic auto manufacturers could start off by taking $2k off of their sticker prices they may be able to sell alot more vehicles. Think about the increase in content to their vehicles they could add and keep prices the same. They could be on par with Toyota, Honda, and Nissan with nice quality. Take these changes with some savior designing cars that don't look like cars that say "I couldn't afford anything else" and you've got success coming.
Old 11/26/05, 12:10 PM
I Have Admin Envy

In north america, the Asian transplant manufacterer's pay their workers very close to the union rate, and also at the same time offer a benefit and pension package. The thing is, the oldest plants are around 20 years old in North America while the domestics have 3rd and even 4th generation workers in some plants. When you have more retirees than actual paying workers it puts a huge burden on the company.

The incompetence of management of the big 3 in the last 30 years has helped in this regard. GM used to be the largest employer in the US. With the mediocre products that absolutely drove away customers, they've had to get smaller and at the same time support all the retirees.

Eventually, in about 50 years, the Asians will have similar issues, but I am sure they will be better prepared.
Old 11/26/05, 12:19 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm sure they will be. Lets just hope that the Big 3 can hold on until then and maybe we'll be in our up swing.
Old 11/28/05, 04:55 AM
Closet American

I think we have to call them the "big 2" now, since Chrysler is not really an "American only" brand anymore, but part of Daimler, with the top decisions coming out of Germany.

It's also the only one of the original "big 3" that's in the black right now and turning some sort of profit.

It remains to be seen whether or not Ford and GM can overcome all these monumental obstacles before running out of cash flow and assets. Right now, the long-term prognosis ain't lookin' too good...though my fingers are crossed.

I still think GM could do much more RIGHT NOW, by getting rid of redundant product lines:

Solstice/Sky
Cobalt/Pursuit
Tahoe/Yukon

etc, etc.

For that matter, I really don't think Ford needs the Fusion, the Milan and the Zephyr. Personally, I think they should ditch Mercury and just offer more trim levels on the Fusion. Time to focus on the core strengths of the business and trim the superflous fat.
Old 11/29/05, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm with you, that sounds like great advice for these guys. Maybe we should get some of those really high paying jobs, so we can give them "COMMON SENSE". Hmmmm...let me get my resume.
Old 11/30/05, 01:03 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@November 28, 2005, 5:58 AM
I think we have to call them the "big 2" now, since Chrysler is not really an "American only" brand anymore, but part of Daimler, with the top decisions coming out of Germany.

It's also the only one of the original "big 3" that's in the black right now and turning some sort of profit.

It remains to be seen whether or not Ford and GM can overcome all these monumental obstacles before running out of cash flow and assets. Right now, the long-term prognosis ain't lookin' too good...though my fingers are crossed.

I still think GM could do much more RIGHT NOW, by getting rid of redundant product lines:

Solstice/Sky
Cobalt/Pursuit
Tahoe/Yukon

Agreed. And I think Ford should do the same thing with Lincoln and Mercury.

etc, etc.

For that matter, I really don't think Ford needs the Fusion, the Milan and the Zephyr. Personally, I think they should ditch Mercury and just offer more trim levels on the Fusion. Time to focus on the core strengths of the business and trim the superflous fat.
Agreed. I'd ditch both Mercury and Lincoln.

I'm a lot older than most of you guys and I've been saying for for decades that redundant car lines and the UAW would kill the so called Big 3. It looks like the chickens have come home to roost. Sad.
Old 11/30/05, 07:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by BC_Shelby@November 28, 2005, 5:58 AM
If all three cars are essentially the same, what is REALLY the difference in offering more trim levels on the Fusion and offering a Mercury Milan with the same options? What does that really accomplish? It sounds like six of one and half dozen of another to me.