General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

GM - 30,000 Employees/8 Plants

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/05, 07:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM announced this morning that it was increasing its projected job cuts by 5,000 to a total of 30,000 and will close 8 plants by 2008. If all of this doesn't stop the bleeding, those bankruptcy rumors may prove to be true
Old 11/21/05, 08:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Actually they're closing nine plants, not eight.
Old 11/21/05, 08:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

The interesting thing I saw was that they are closing the Spring Hill Plant that was a Saturn only plant..so much for them being their own "company" only anymore
Old 11/21/05, 10:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I also saw a note in that article that said the cuts will not be approved until the labor agreement expires in 2007. So who knows... This is just a PLAN as of now.
Old 11/21/05, 10:26 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
"One production line at the Saturn plant in Spring Hill, Tenn., will cease operations by the end of 2006 as part of a larger plan by General Motors to eliminate 30,000 manufacturing jobs and reduce manufacturing capacity.

Earlier reports incorrectly said the entire plant would be closed."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...NESS01/51121001
Old 11/21/05, 10:41 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Not good.
Old 11/21/05, 11:03 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, just read the msn article. That is pretty serious.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10138507/
Old 11/23/05, 02:44 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by adrenalin@November 21, 2005, 11:06 AM
Wow, just read the msn article. That is pretty serious.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10138507/
Love this quote:

Mike O’Rourke, president of United Auto Workers Local 1853 in Spring Hill, said GM leaders need to change approaches to be successful. “They need to design cars that sell,†O’Rourke said.
Hey, buddy, did you ever stop to consider that maybe you and your union are part of the problem?
Old 11/23/05, 02:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@November 23, 2005, 3:47 PM
Love this quote:
Hey, buddy, did you ever stop to consider that maybe you and your union are part of the problem?

They build the cars not design them. The problem is the design not the build quality. If the gas prices had not skyrocketed they would be on cloud nine still.
Old 11/23/05, 02:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Andy Haynes@November 23, 2005, 4:55 PM
They build the cars not design them. The problem is the design not the build quality. If the gas prices had not skyrocketed they would be on cloud nine still.

I doubt that, the build quality of american cars has ruined their reputation and i'm sure it has a huge impact on sales.
Old 11/23/05, 03:29 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@November 23, 2005, 4:02 PM
I doubt that, the build quality of american cars has ruined their reputation and i'm sure it has a huge impact on sales.
Ford and Chrysler are not any better in quality, so that can't be the reason.
Old 11/23/05, 07:30 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by Andy Haynes@November 23, 2005, 2:55 PM
:shock: You're kidding, right? Please tell me your kidding.

Gas prices have little to do with GM's failures. And they haven't been on cloud nine for, oh, about 30 years now!

I wasn't referring to the UAW's influence on design - I was referring to the fact that the process by which we build these cars, specifically the waste and pork and redundancies that the union brings to the table, are part of GM's troubles.

Finally, if you think GM build quality across their line is on par with the rest of the world, then I have to ask: What are you smokin'?
Old 11/23/05, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by BC_Shelby@November 23, 2005, 8:33 PM
:shock: You're kidding, right? Please tell me your kidding.

Gas prices have little to do with GM's failures. And they haven't been on cloud nine for, oh, about 30 years now!

I wasn't referring to the UAW's influence on design - I was referring to the fact that the process by which we build these cars, specifically the waste and pork and redundancies that the union brings to the table, are part of GM's troubles.

Finally, if you think GM build quality across their line is on par with the rest of the world, then I have to ask: What are you smokin'?
I must be smoking the same thing that all of the honda tech guys are. Like stated in another thread the almighty Honda's build quality has declined since 2003 with their new accord. Of course the build quality of a Chevy wont be the same as a lexus but it is every bit as good as a Honda. And if you dont think that gas had anything to do with the decline then you must be smoking something. They were getting most of their business off of their suv market and when the gas went up that market tanked.
Old 11/23/05, 08:52 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by Andy Haynes@November 23, 2005, 7:57 PM
I must be smoking the same thing that all of the honda tech guys are. Like stated in another thread the almighty Honda's build quality has declined since 2003 with their new accord. Of course the build quality of a Chevy wont be the same as a lexus but it is every bit as good as a Honda. And if you dont think that gas had anything to do with the decline then you must be smoking something. They were getting most of their business off of their suv market and when the gas went up that market tanked.
NEWSFLASH: GM was already "tanking." The high gas prices just finished the job.

So you think a Chevy Cobalt has the same level of fit and finish as a Honda Accord, huh? Let's hope that the top brass at GM doesn't share your opinion of what constitutes "quality," or GM is finished indeed!
Old 11/24/05, 08:16 AM
I Have Admin Envy

I think its unfair to compare a cobalt to an accord, there is quite a price gap there.

To compare a Civic to a Cobalt would be a closer comparison, in which case I still believe the civic is a better car.

You guys are nitpicking while the saying essentially the same thing

Yes, GM (and domestics) quality has improved drastically

Yes, the Asians quality has more or less stayed the same

GM's ills are from banking on SUV's and building ugly cars. There is a difference between bland and ugly. For example, the camry and accord, while not the best looking cars out there, are clean and inoffensive. The mailbu on the other hand is ugly in my opinon, the same can be said about the Aztek for example.

The biggest problem with GM right now is a tired lineup. The bread and butter cars and trucks are at the end of their lifecycles. Even though the Impala is significantly changed, it is still based on the tired old W-Car platform, same for the Lacrosse. The cobalt is a long time coming from GM, it should have been introduced 7-8 years ago. The Civic and Corolla have a stranglehold on the small car market and it will be tough to get people into those cars.
Old 11/24/05, 08:25 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally posted by Galaxie@November 24, 2005, 9:19 AM
I think its unfair to compare a cobalt to an accord, there is quite a price gap there.

To compare a Civic to a Cobalt would be a closer comparison, in which case I still believe the civic is a better car.

GM's ills are from banking on SUV's and building ugly cars. There is a difference between bland and ugly. For example, the camry and accord, while not the best looking cars out there, are clean and inoffensive. The mailbu on the other hand is ugly in my opinon, the same can be said about the Aztek for example.

The biggest problem with GM right now is a tired lineup. The bread and butter cars and trucks are at the end of their lifecycles. Even though the Impala is significantly changed, it is still based on the tired old W-Car platform, same for the Lacrosse. The cobalt is a long time coming from GM, it should have been introduced 7-8 years ago. The Civic and Corolla have a stranglehold on the small car market and it will be tough to get people into those cars.
That's probably the best assessment I've read so far in ANY of these foreign vs. domestic quality threads.
Old 11/24/05, 11:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@November 24, 2005, 9:19 AM

Exactly my thoughts also. I dont think its the quality of the cars on the domestic end its the design. I think the Fusion from Ford should help them close the gap now.
Old 11/24/05, 04:10 PM
Cam Tease

Guess where the Fusions built?
Mexico

Guess what doesnt exist in Mexico?
The UAW.
Old 11/24/05, 07:49 PM
Closet American

Originally posted by AnotherMustangMan@November 24, 2005, 4:13 PM
Guess where the Fusions built?
Mexico

Guess what doesnt exist in Mexico?
The UAW.

Oh dear. Frying pan to the fire.
Old 11/25/05, 06:37 PM
My C/T is cooler than Arin is.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Haynes@November 24, 2005, 1:38 PM
Exactly my thoughts also. I dont think its the quality of the cars on the domestic end its the design. I think the Fusion from Ford should help them close the gap now.

Quick Reply: GM - 30,000 Employees/8 Plants