General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Few cars that should be on sale in the USA ...

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/11, 09:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
Few more:

Renault Megane

Citroen DS3

Alfa Romeo Giulietta

Seat Ibiza
I saw a Seat Ibiza yesterday on my drive to work. I was stoked! I didn't think it was very special, but it was cool to see. It was from Mexico. So was the 128i hatchback I saw.

I think I stated the problem with these cars coming to the us. First off, we've never had the majority of our market be small cars like Latin America or Europe has. So we aren't used to being able to differentiate between all the models. We have too many others from Town Car to Smart Car. We have too much range volume not even including trucks. It just hasn't been our culture. Secondly, like I said earlier, the Seat didn't really stand out in traffic. Not much of the buying public would be able to recognize an Ibiza from a Matrix. This is why small cars don't succeed well here. Or partly anyway. A quirky small car that's fun to drive costs as much as a lower optioned Camry. Do you know how much room is in a Camry?

See what I did there?
Old 8/3/11, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Automagically
I didn't think we were getting a Scirocco. You sure those weren't Mexican plates? Imported maybe? Kind of like the guy that bought a Mexican Focus RS.

However, the Golf R I can't wait to see!
I'm pretty sure it was an AZ plate. It began "MT..." then the numbers, so not a plate I've seen before. I know various companies test their cars in this area. Is the Scirocco available in Mexico?
Old 8/3/11, 10:58 AM
GT Member

I didn't think we were getting a Scirocco. You sure those weren't Mexican plates? Imported maybe? Kind of like the guy that bought a Mexican Focus RS.

However, the Golf R I can't wait to see!
I saw a couple Sciroccos here in FL a few years ago because there's an Audi test facility here... And there have been many Focus RS sightings in Detroit. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean we're getting any of them.
Old 8/3/11, 11:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MotoMikeydo

I'm pretty sure it was an AZ plate. It began "MT..." then the numbers, so not a plate I've seen before. I know various companies test their cars in this area. Is the Scirocco available in Mexico?
According to VAG, there are no North American Scirocco. No plans to bring them over either.
Old 8/3/11, 11:47 AM
GT Member

According to VAG, there are no North American Scirocco. No plans to bring them over either.
That doesn't mean there aren't some testing or driving around here. I followed a Lamborghini Gallardo around Tampa and took some pictures (despite the little Italian guy telling us not to) before there were any pictures of it anywhere. I only knew it was a Gallardo because I knew it wasn't a Murci.

And like I said, I saw late model Scirrocos here, too.
Old 8/3/11, 02:28 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Another one, Chevrolet Cruze hatchback.