General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

The End of Chrysler...

Search this Thread

Old 10/28/08, 11:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the Excursion hasn't been produced in a while, I didn't want to say though since I was unsure...
Old 10/28/08, 12:43 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Why would a slower seller (Grand Cherokee) replace higher seller (Explorer)?

And why would a mid-size SUV (Commander) replace a full-size SUV (Expedition)?

Chrysler made a huge mistake with Commander since it's competing with Grand Cherokee. Introductin of Commander really hurt Grand Cherokee's sales.
Old 10/28/08, 12:45 PM
Cobra Member

yeah, I agree...theres not much difference...its almost like a Yukon and a Yukon XL....
Old 10/28/08, 09:40 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,624 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Rocky, the Excursion hasn't been made in several years. I believe you are meaning the Expedition.
Hey Jeff, your absolutely right on the money. As I actually meant the Expedition, and not the Excursion.

At any rate, thanks for correcting my error. My bad lol.
Old 10/28/08, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by GT5088
I thought the Excursion hasn't been produced in a while, I didn't want to say though since I was unsure...
Your right, the Excursion hasn't been produced in awhile. I actually meant the Expedition, as it was just a typo error on my part.
Old 10/28/08, 09:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
Chrysler made a huge mistake with Commander since it's competing with Grand Cherokee. Introductin of Commander really hurt Grand Cherokee's sales.
The Commander is a much nicer vechele than the Grand Cherokee, not sure of the price diff. but like most other cars/trucks on the market you get more by paying more.
Old 10/28/08, 10:04 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Grand Cherokee cost ~$1,000 more than Commander.
Old 10/28/08, 10:04 PM

Why would a slower seller (Grand Cherokee) replace higher seller (Explorer)?

And why would a mid-size SUV (Commander) replace a full-size SUV (Expedition)?

Fine, if the Grand Cherokee is a slower seller than Explorer. Then keep the Explorer, but replace the Expedition with the Commander.

As for a mid size SUV (Commander) replacing a full size SUV (Expedition) ? The last thing customers are looking to buy, are full size/gas guzzling SUV's.

Which is exactly why they continue to sit on dealer lots, due to the fact that nobody wants them !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/28/08 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10/28/08, 10:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Grand Cherokee cost ~$1,000 more than Commander.
Hmmm a smaller vehicle for 1k more??
my Brother has a Commander, sticker for a fully loaded one ( 08) is $46K. What is the Cherokee running?
He never looked at the Cherokee because it is smaller.
Old 10/28/08, 10:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
The last thing customers are looking to buy, are full size/gas guzzling SUV's.

Which is exactly why they continue to sit on dealer lots, due to the fact that nobody wants them !
That is now with the economy in turmoil and the recent high gas prices, but as in the past we get over these things and head back to the larger vehicles.
Old 10/28/08, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dougxox
That is now with the economy in turmoil and the recent high gas prices, but as in the past we get over these things and head back to the larger vehicles.
That of course was when gas prices were still well under $3.00 at the pump. But I'm afraid to say that those days are gone forever. And you can bet that once the Presidential election is over, that oil prices are going to skyrocket once again. Thanks to our friends, over at OPEC !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/29/08 at 08:24 PM.
Old 10/29/08, 08:23 AM
Cobra Member

If you really want to know why GM wants to buy Chrysler, then look at the money that is made off of the sales of Jeep Consumer Products. Think of all of the products that are sold that bear the Jeep name (outside of a Jeep itself). The look at the fact that money made by Chrysler from selling Jeep Consumer Products exceeded $375 Million Dollars last year alone!!

http://http://findarticles.com/p/art...s_/ai_87071691

That article contains the specifics.

Hypothetical:

GM makes a deal, giving up their stock in GMAC in exchange for Chrysler. They chop the Chrysler car line, only keeping Minivans. They consolidate Dodge, only keeping a limited performance line (Charger and Challenger, and only carry Heavy-Duty Trucks (scrap half-ton and maybe three-quarter ton trucks)). They consolidate Jeep's autmobile line, simply keeping the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and Liberty. Keep in mind the cash reserves that they would inherit and the profit from the Jeep Consumer Products line as well.

Now is it such a bad idea? doesn't sound like it to me...

So for people wondering why buying Chrysler would be a good idea, that is why.

Last edited by GT5088; 10/29/08 at 08:26 AM.
Old 10/29/08, 11:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Jeff, your absolutely right on the money. As I actually meant the Expedition, and not the Excursion.

At any rate, thanks for correcting my error. My bad lol.
No biggie buddy!
Old 10/29/08, 03:32 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Fine, if the Grand Cherokee is a slower seller than Explorer. Then keep the Explorer, but replace the Expedition with the Commander.
That would be a mistake, same mistake Chrysler made. Because Explorer and Commander would be competing against eachother.
Old 10/29/08, 05:07 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GT5088
They consolidate Dodge, only keeping a limited performance line (Charger and Challenger)...
It'd be cool if they could keep Challenger - and maybe even Charger - but why would they? GM already has enough redundancy within their own line to keep two more muscle cars around.
Old 10/29/08, 05:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Q`res
No, actually I think they'd be better off killing Saturn, Pontiac, Chrysler and Dodge. Then go ahead and sell Saab. Killing Buick would be a mistake to me, it's the only GM mainstream car division with a solid reputation for quality. Saturn and Pontiac don't really bring anything to the table right now anyway. Kappa is dead, the G8 is likely to be gone in a year or two, the Astra isn't profitable. Frankly, Saturn never should have existed in the first place.
Largely agreed. GM brands worth keeping.....Chevy, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac. Pontiac could potentially be spun into an effective youth brand, but I doubt GM's ability to turn any such attempt into anything other than a disaster. And then we face the reality that Chevy is a damaged brand which arguably has little to no credibility in the auto industry outside of trucks and cars which say Vette or Camaro on them. I too think the obvious mainstream player for GM is Buick, in fact I think it to be their only chance of competing effectively with Honda or Toyota anytime soon.

As for Chrysler, they mirror many of GM's weaknesses and strengths above. Chrysler is in much the same situation as Buick being an ideal outlet to compete against Honda and Toyota with if executed properly. And then of course we have Dodge which, much like Chevy, has next to no cred in the realm of mainstream sedans proving to be a good outlet for little more than trucks and muscle at this juncture. The one major deviation is Jeep, that brand still has obvious value and is in no way shape or form like Hummer...although ridiculous offerings like the Compass and Patriot certainly aren't helping credibility.
Old 10/29/08, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Too many car makers = far too much capacity. Who do you kill? Do you kill the Sebring and keep the 300? Do you kill the Taurus and keep the 300? Amazing combo available.Maybe nothing will happen. Remember Comet Kahoutech from 1973?
Old 10/29/08, 08:21 PM

That would be a mistake, same mistake Chrysler made. Because Explorer and Commander would be competing against eachother.
I see your point, as it would be a mistake if 2 mid sized vehicles were to compete against one another. So the only other scenario I can think of, is if the Grand Cherokee were to replace the Expedition. Or if the Commander were to replace the Explorer

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/29/08 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10/29/08, 08:35 PM
Bullitt Member

If GM and Chrysler do merge, I think that they should merge Hummer and Jeep. Just make the H2 a Jeep Hummer at the top of the line-up, and then offer the next generation Wrangler with a V8 option to replace the H3. I think Jeep pick-ups are pretty cool, like the Hurricane concept, so they could bring that to production to replace the H3T and then just offer an SUT version of the new "Jeep Hummer" model. I think the Hummer model could remain and do well, particularly if GM intends to phase out the Tahoe and Suburban (as current rumors claim). Keep the Grand Cherokee as the flagship/high volume seller, and maybe the Patriot and/or Liberty as a cross-over.

As for the rest, I think that they should keep Chevy and Cadillac as is, and get rid of Pontiac, Buick, Saturn, GMC, Saab, and Dodge. Take the Chrysler name (as I guess they have to get something more than Jeep out of the merger) and just turn it into a limited line of semi-luxery, fuel efficient, and sporty sedans and coupes.

Last edited by instigator311; 10/29/08 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10/29/08, 08:48 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I see your point, as it would be a mistake if 2 mid sized vehicles were to compete against one another. So the only other scenario I can think of, is if the Grand Cherokee were to replace the Expedition. Or if the Commander were to replace the Explorer
Only one of them can survive since all 3 of them are mid-size SUV. So Explorer, Grand Cherokee and Commander - take your pick.

I would choose Explorer since its still best selling mid-size SUV on the market.

Quick Reply: The End of Chrysler...