General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

The elephant in the room (and it's wearing a bow tie)

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/15, 05:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The elephant in the room (and it's wearing a bow tie)

Most of us here are car nuts...so undoubtedly, most of us here have had to look around the house for the socks that were knocked off of our feet by the road tests of the 2016 Camaro that were released last week.

As much as I (and probably most folks here) adore their 5.0L Coyotes, the new LT-1 in the Camaro makes it look like an irrigation pump engine. Ok...that's a huge exaggeration. The Coyote is till a gem but the much more powerful, lighter and better sorted Camaro SS will be smacking our beloved Mustangs all around the drag strip and the road courses for the foreseeable future.

Will Ford answer?

http://beta.motortrend.com/car-revie...t-test-review/

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/new-car-r...s-first-drive/

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/16/2...-review-video/

http://beta.motortrend.com/car-revie...t-test-review/

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ic-test-review

http://www.cnet.com/products/2016-chevrolet-camaro/

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...camaro-review/
Attached Thumbnails The elephant in the room (and it's wearing a bow tie)-2016-ss.jpg  
Old 10/19/15, 06:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Snore
Old 10/19/15, 06:09 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
Snore

While I have my biases and favorite models out there, I'm loving the progress in performance that we've seen in just the past 5-6 years.

Love or hate the outgoing Camaro, it pushed Ford to make spectacular and revolutionary changes to the Mustang. First the 5.0, then the amazing S550...competition is good for all of us regardless of the ability of some folks to appreciate that.

Last edited by MRGTX; 10/19/15 at 06:10 AM.
Old 10/19/15, 06:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Competition is great.... That wasn't my point.
Old 10/19/15, 06:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Competition is great.... That wasn't my point.
Ok. If your eloquent point was that the Camaro is "boring" then I'm sorry but you have no clue.
Old 10/19/15, 06:25 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Will Ford answer?
Of course they will, and I'm looking forward to the '18MY (just a guess) and the S550's first refresh.

What do I want/expect?
  • Revisions to the Coyote to give us 450hp minimum (DI?)
  • 10-speed auto option (we know it's coming, it's just a matter of when)
  • Mag-ride option for the GT
  • Tweaked front and rear fascias (as you'd expect on any initial face lift)

I'm glad the '16MY Camaro has come out guns blazing, but I suspect Ford have been working on a tweaked Mustang for quite a while. Good competition ensures Ford won't rest on their laurels.

That being said, I do think Ford has a wider range of competitors now, such as BMW, Audi and Mercedes. So Ford still needs to deliver great Bang for the Buck, whilst still being a quality product that will get people out of their (slightly dull) German coupes.

Old 10/19/15, 06:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok. If your eloquent point was that the Camaro is "boring" then I'm sorry but you have no clue.
The car is boring if you ask me. Don't get your feelings hurt just because not everyone loves the new super camaro as much as you seem to. And why is this thread in the 2015 mustang forum and not general discussion lol...moved.

Last edited by tom281; 10/19/15 at 07:01 AM.
Old 10/19/15, 07:12 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
BFD.
Old 10/19/15, 07:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The car is boring if you ask me. Don't get your feelings hurt just because not everyone loves the new super camaro as much as you seem to. And why is this thread in the 2015 mustang forum and not general discussion lol...moved.
You moved the thread?
This is about the S550.

Someone's feelings are hurt and they're not mine.

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
BFD.
So you're going to "swear" an offer nothing other than implied butt-hurt?

SO many Mustang forums out there, mods. So far, this has been my favorite but I urge you to think about how you treat your customers.
Old 10/19/15, 07:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh sorry please carry on, I didn't realize offering a different opinion on the car was treating you badly... as a customer of this website your opinion is correct and should never be questioned. As I said, please carry on...
Old 10/19/15, 10:10 AM
Post *****

You moved the thread?
This is about the S550.

Someone's feelings are hurt and they're not mine.So you're going to "swear" an offer nothing other than implied butt-hurt?

SO many Mustang forums out there, mods. So far, this has been my favorite but I urge you to think about how you treat your customers.
Don't project your feelings on to me

I'm not butt hurt

I'm indifferent

You're the one with the world class case of butt hurt

But as Tom said please carry on...
Old 10/19/15, 03:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Oh sorry please carry on, I didn't realize offering a different opinion on the car was treating you badly... as a customer of this website your opinion is correct and should never be questioned. As I said, please carry on...
Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
Don't project your feelings on to me

I'm not butt hurt

I'm indifferent

You're the one with the world class case of butt hurt

But as Tom said please carry on...
Can I publicly ask what your problems are? Neither of you offered anything but guff.

Do either of you have a stake in the prosperity of this forum? I'm guessing "no."
Old 10/19/15, 03:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Of course they will, and I'm looking forward to the '18MY (just a guess) and the S550's first refresh.

What do I want/expect?
  • Revisions to the Coyote to give us 450hp minimum (DI?)
  • 10-speed auto option (we know it's coming, it's just a matter of when)
  • Mag-ride option for the GT
  • Tweaked front and rear fascias (as you'd expect on any initial face lift)

I'm glad the '16MY Camaro has come out guns blazing, but I suspect Ford have been working on a tweaked Mustang for quite a while. Good competition ensures Ford won't rest on their laurels.

That being said, I do think Ford has a wider range of competitors now, such as BMW, Audi and Mercedes. So Ford still needs to deliver great Bang for the Buck, whilst still being a quality product that will get people out of their (slightly dull) German coupes.

Extremely well stated...
Most of that sounds plausible. Do you really think Ford will sit back for two years though?

I'm hoping for retro-fit-able upgrades...but the long expected DI would obviously be unlikely to benefit existing owners.
Old 10/19/15, 03:52 PM
Post *****

OMG

Somebody didn't love you enough as a kid did they?

Old 10/19/15, 04:09 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Can I publicly ask what your problems are? Neither of you offered anything but guff.

Do either of you have a stake in the prosperity of this forum? I'm guessing "no."
Their problem is likely rooted in your getting SERIOUSLY butt hurt by their not liking the Camaro.

Which, considering this is a Mustang forum, is a SHOCKER.
Old 10/19/15, 09:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
The Camaro is hideous. Performance is one thing, but style is another, and that simply doesn't have any. Well, it does, sure, but only if you like ugly.

No thanks. I'll keep my ol' 'dated' S197 looks, thanks. I don't care if my 4.6 is walked by the LT1 or the Hemis, or even the Coyote.

She looks way better. And that's more important.

/I... well, shucks, I might be a little biased, but whatever.

Last edited by houtex; 10/19/15 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10/20/15, 05:35 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Their problem is likely rooted in your getting SERIOUSLY butt hurt by their not liking the Camaro.

Which, considering this is a Mustang forum, is a SHOCKER.
I'm a Mopar guy first, a Miata guy second...I got there because I love good cars. Better still, a car that provides something special that doesn't equate to the number on the window sticker will win me over every time.

I have bought two brand new Mustangs back to back because they were by far the best driving and best performing cars for the money. I also happened to find them to be the best looking too, but that's completely subjective. The reliability, driving dynamics and charm of my Mustangs has consistently knocked my socks off and Ford has earned my loyalty and confidence too.

Does this ability to appreciate a GOOD car make me some kind of super evolved car person? That's a surprise to me. I really didn't think I was overestimating this community when I hoped that people could have conversation that didn't degrade into locker room grade/ignorant commentary.

Here we are heading into 2016 and Chevrolet has an outgoing Camaro that spanked the S550 Performance Pack(with the Camaro 1LE trim) and an incoming model that is a huge leap ahead of the old car. Smaller, lighter, more powerful, improved suspension, etc.

The base SS for $37k is shaping up to be a match for the $50k GT350. What will Ford do about this problem?

Is this not an interesting situation to anyone but the few intelligent contributors in this thread?
Old 10/20/15, 05:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
The Camaro is hideous. Performance is one thing, but style is another, and that simply doesn't have any. Well, it does, sure, but only if you like ugly.

No thanks. I'll keep my ol' 'dated' S197 looks, thanks. I don't care if my 4.6 is walked by the LT1 or the Hemis, or even the Coyote.

She looks way better. And that's more important.

/I... well, shucks, I might be a little biased, but whatever.
That's a valid perspective. Biases evolve for a reason.

As someone who fell in love with one of the slowest sports cars on the planet, I totally get where performance numbers aren't the only thing that that matters.

Looking at your list of mods, it seems like you may also be in a place where you've improved your car to the point where it's not really possible to objectively compare it to a new/factory fresh car...and it would be hard to let your S197 go.

I'm pretty attached to my current car, my mild mods so far have been stunningly effective and rewarding and the car just keeps getting better with every dollar I invest...but the Camaro presents a problem for me. All of my goals for my past and future mods have essentially been targeted at making it into what the Camaro already is- a better all around handling car, canyon carving kind of muscle car. No matter how much I spend on my 2011, it will likely never approach the capabilities of a stock 2016 Camaro with magnetic shocks.

Looks? Well...personally, I like S197s (all three versions) better too but the 2016 Camaro looks a lot tighter than the outgoing cars and I like it about as much as the S550 Mustang. Looks are a wash for me.
Old 10/20/15, 07:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ok it's hard to stay out of a thread when you kinda feel like you're being attacked.... I'm not sure why you feel the need to offer insults questioning the intelligence of members and mods here when we simply offer a different opinion the car you're talking about.... me personally I'm just bored with the constant mustang to camaro comparisons when there are so many other cars that are capable of competing with both of them. I get that the comparison is arguably the longest running in history and that the new camaro is supposed to be a great performer but again I say, who cares? It's the Internet you're going to get different opinions that may not fall in line with yours so consider getting used to it.

As far as your comments about having no clue, the ignorant and or few intelligent statements made...... that's really not necessary. And a stake in prosperity for this site? Please..... Most mods and admin have put in a decade of supporting this site for nothing more than free stickers (one time lol) so yeah we're here as enthusiasts because we love the site.

So like I said, carry on but try to handle differing opinions a little better, thanks.
Old 10/20/15, 07:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Ok it's hard to stay out of a thread when you kinda feel like you're being attacked.... I'm not sure why you feel the need to offer insults questioning the intelligence of members and mods here when we simply offer a different opinion the car you're talking about.... me personally I'm just bored with the constant mustang to camaro comparisons when there are so many other cars that are capable of competing with both of them. I get that the comparison is arguably the longest running in history and that the new camaro is supposed to be a great performer but again I say, who cares? It's the Internet you're going to get different opinions that may not fall in line with yours so consider getting used to it.

As far as your comments about having no clue, the ignorant and or few intelligent statements made...... that's really not necessary. And a stake in prosperity for this site? Please..... Most mods and admin have put in a decade of supporting this site for nothing more than free stickers (one time lol) so yeah we're here as enthusiasts because we love the site.

So like I said, carry on but try to handle differing opinions a little better, thanks.
I put some thought and effort into starting this thread, you initially dismissed it with a thoughtless comment and the tone in thread immediately became juvenile.

At least you came back with some actual sentences and I appreciate that.

Personally, I welcome and enjoy discussion, even when others hold a differing opinion. That's interesting.

If the sole purpose of The Mustang Source is congratulatory-slapping other dudes on the butt in celebration for their recent purchase, I'm pretty sure my time is best spent elsewhere.

...and I will insist that if you can look at a brand new, state of the art, front engine/rear drive V8 coupe (with dramatic sheet metal regardless of your personal taste) that lays down supercar performance numbers (in base trim!) and call it "boring" there's probably something missing from your brain.

Guys, it's a direct competitor for the Mustang and it beats it in virtually all objective measures. If the Camaro is boring, the Mustang is boring too...and slower!

Quick Reply: The elephant in the room (and it's wearing a bow tie)