General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Edmunds:Reality vs. GT4 at Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 5/23/06, 12:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edmunds:Reality vs. GT4 at Laguna Seca

I found an interesting article at Edmunds.com

It compares real world laptimes at Laguna Seca vs. Gran Turismo laptimes at the same track in the "virtual world". What makes this even more interesting is the choice of cars: 2005 Mustang GT, Ford GT, Lancer Evo RS, Neon SRT-4 ACR, and Mazda RX8.

They had 3 drivers try laps in the real world and GT4 in all 5 cars. One was a writer from Edmunds, a gaming writer from IGN , and a pro Champ car driver.

What I find interesting is that there are finally real numbers comparing these five cars around a real road course, with three different drivers driving each car with varying skill levels. Of course,the pro race driver was the fastest driver overall; the Edmunds writer second, and IGN gamer boy the slowest.

The Mustang GT did pretty well, for "archaic live axle rear suspension". Here are the real world lap times with the pro driver at wheel:
  1. Neon SRT-4 ACR - 1:54.63
  2. RX8 - 1:55.22
  3. Mustang GT - 1:52.32
  4. Lancer EVO RS - 1:49.58
  5. Ford GT - 1:45.21
Of course, the Ford GT beat them all... but for all those people (I know some) that say that the RX8 "would blow away an '05-06 Mustang in the twisties ", and that "Mustangs only go fast in a straight line", here's some real numbers.

Has anybody found any track times at Laguna Seca for a 350Z and G35?
Old 5/23/06, 06:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Top Gear did a similar test with Gran Turismo and an NSX. Jeremy was sooo funny. This was interesting too. Thanks.
Old 5/23/06, 09:02 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make's me want to load up GT4 and see how fast I can go in a stock 05 mustang at Leguna Seca.
Old 5/23/06, 10:56 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My best time tonight at Leguna Seca in the Stock 2005 Mustang GT (no mods) was a 1:41:532. I used the default Sport Medium tires all around.
Old 5/24/06, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Very cool article! It's always interesting to read how well the video games simulate real driving. I think GT4 is well done in that respect.

My experience on GT4 with the 05 Mustang GT is that stock, that car steers like a boat. And it didn't accelerate like I thought it should. (By the way, I hate the way the exhaust sounds on it. Sounds more like a V6 with a single tail pipe.) After some tweaks -- changed suspension and lowered 8mm, new mufflers/headers/air filter, CHIP (of course), port/polished heads, and N/A engine tune stage 1, that car is unbeatable. Running about 355HP and it corners extremely well. I did go so far as to supercharge it, giving it about 470HP, and it was TOO much. Fun fun!
Old 5/24/06, 11:02 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by AFBLUE
My best time tonight at Leguna Seca in the Stock 2005 Mustang GT (no mods) was a 1:41:532. I used the default Sport Medium tires all around.
Not bad... you're just a few seconds off the pro race driver's "virtual best" (1:39.68)

I really want to try it with GT4 , too, but my PS2's power supply board died last week, so my PS2 is dead right now.
Old 5/24/06, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by HadAStang
Very cool article! It's always interesting to read how well the video games simulate real driving. I think GT4 is well done in that respect.

My experience on GT4 with the 05 Mustang GT is that stock, that car steers like a boat. And it didn't accelerate like I thought it should. (By the way, I hate the way the exhaust sounds on it. Sounds more like a V6 with a single tail pipe.) After some tweaks -- changed suspension and lowered 8mm, new mufflers/headers/air filter, CHIP (of course), port/polished heads, and N/A engine tune stage 1, that car is unbeatable. Running about 355HP and it corners extremely well. I did go so far as to supercharge it, giving it about 470HP, and it was TOO much. Fun fun!
I didn't think the '05 Mustang sounded realistic in the game either, or was as quick as it is in reality. Makes me wonder if all these kids playing GT4 are getting their impressions of American cars from a not so realistic portrayal in the game...

I would think the one car they got right would be the Ford GT... I've read that it's the favorite car of the head designer of the GT game series... but I've never had a chance to drive a real one to find out...
Old 5/25/06, 07:59 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Vermillion06
... but for all those people (I know some) that say that the RX8 "would blow away an '05-06 Mustang in the twisties ", and that "Mustangs only go fast in a straight line", here's some real numbers.
Let's not forget that huge uphill climb which favors big engine, high torque motors (ala Mustang). And, let's not overlook the Evo beat it by as about as much as the Mustang beat the RX-8.

It doesn't meant the Mustang is any less of a car though. Just suited for different things.
Old 5/26/06, 09:09 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Rampant
Let's not forget that huge uphill climb which favors big engine, high torque motors (ala Mustang). And, let's not overlook the Evo beat it by as about as much as the Mustang beat the RX-8.

It doesn't meant the Mustang is any less of a car though. Just suited for different things.
The Evo has the advantage of AWD, though... Then the Ford GT beat the Evo by about the same amount with the advantage of the more power and the mid-engine layout.

I think the numbers disprove the notion everyone has that the S197 Mustang "just goes fast in a straight line."
Old 5/29/06, 08:31 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Anybody remember when an import rag tested a 99 GT (IIRC) against an Integra R-Type. The GT wasted the R-Type by virtue of the test venue (cant remeber which one), it was a track which favored high powered cars and top speed.

Anywhosit, it was fun to read the article, the writer figured the R-type would have sent the GT packing but was surprised after the comparo and R-Type's loss against the GT.