General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Do you Street Race Your 05 or 06?

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/06, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was younger and knew everything I did street race. Now that I am older and don't know as much as I used to I don't. Funny how when your 20 you know everything and just get dumber as the years pass.
Old 2/5/06, 06:10 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not know Nitrous is illegal in street cars now.
Old 2/5/06, 07:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the comments about finding a "safe" area to street race. Racing is inherently dangerous, even on a track. Parts break, cars do unexpected things, surface conditions are misread, people make mistakes. Face it, it's dangerous.

Now add in a desolate stretch of road, with oak trees mightier than any Mustang, or worse a populated area where a kid on a bike or elderly lady in a car could easily pop out unexpectedly, and it's not just dangerous, it's stupid and potentially criminally so.

We just had an incident up here where two ricers were racing on the highway, on a straight road, with a guardrail in the center. Something went wrong, one car goes airborne, lands on the other side of the highway and kills a pregnant woman just minding her own business trying to drive home. Before the accident, I would bet you cash money both of the drivers involved in the race would have claimed it was just "safe" fun.

I'm not naive enough to believe street racing will ever vanish, but let's not fool ourselves if we just pay attention to the details that it can be "safe". It wasn't "safe" back in the "good old days". Isn't now. It won't be tomorrow.

I'm with the "take it to the track" group. At least there the risks are contained as much as possible.
Old 2/6/06, 03:26 PM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys make some very good points. Personally, I have had a few stoplight runs from zero to the speed limit. But I only do that rarley. It's not the safest thing in the world... although probably a lot safer than driving through the city of New Orleans on a Friday or Saturday night with all the drunks around. But stretching her legs every once in a while, under optimum conditions, is not something I am all that worried about. But that is the most I would do. I would never race over the speed limit, or through turns like I have seen some do. That's just stupid IMO.