General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Dealers to Charge Up to $129,000 for 2009 Nissan GT-R

Old 1/31/08, 01:43 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 587 Likes on 421 Posts
Dealers to Charge Up to $129,000 for 2009 Nissan GT-R

So much for getting a GT-R at anywhere near sticker. There’s no doubt in anyone’s mind that the 2009 Nissan GT-R won’t be sold at invoice. With the new cost associated with the GT-R business, a little market value increase is expected, as dealerships have to train their technicians on the new vehicle. We made 15 phone calls to dealerships in various states including California, Virginia, Washington, Florida, Illinois and Texas. The general consensus is that would-be GT-R owners are, in a few cases, going to pay almost double the sticker price of the 3.8L two-door.

One of our first calls, a friendly sales rep at Nissan of Huntington Beach (California), told us, “We are marking it up. We’re seeing averages of 20-30 grand [from dealers]”. Another salesman at a dealership in Seattle, Washington told us, “It’s going to be like an auction, going to the highest bidder. Only the General Manager and owner of the store are allowed to sell [GT-Rs]. Just like an auction.”

George, a salesman from a dealership in Carson, California stated, “I spoke with finance and they said, ‘ it’ll be $50,000 over sticker.’” Take note, he was pretty nonchalant when he told us that the mark-up would be roughly the price of one 350Z and a Sentra combined. That wasn’t the highest mark-up we found; another dealership told us that it’ll be first come, first serve and that they won’t accept deposits, but that consumers should expect to pay “$35,000 to 60,000 over sticker.” Let’s see, $69,000 plus $60,000..

We’d be blind and deaf to not see a pattern here, but there’s no much interested buyers can do. Nissan plans to produce roughly 1,500 units per year through the vehicles lifecycle. There’s little supply and a whole lotta demand. Dealerships are expected to get between 2-8 units, most will be closer to the former with only high volume dealerships getting more GT-R vehicles. And even though the dealers are expecting a scant few vehicles, they’re still taking names, with one list up over 40 people. With odds like that, don’t even bother to put your name down on a list.

There’s not much that Nissan can do to “fix” this problem. When contacted for a statement Nissan stated, “We are being very vocal about pricing of the car with consumers and the dealers to reinforce the value. As you know, we legally can’t prevent dealers from setting their own price as they are a franchise, but we will do what we can to reinforce the resistance to mark-ups.

“For the sale of GT-R’s we are asking dealers to require dealer principals and/or Executive Managers to deal with consumers interested in buying the GT-R. This ensures that management at the highest level of the dealership is making the deal.

“Additionally we are working with dealers to look at the long term plan for the vehicle on how mark-ups may hinder that plan. We are working closely with them so that they are aware and understand what we envision for the vehicle beyond the first model year and ensure they understand how their active involvement will help with that. This is definitely a partnership (as with any vehicle) so we want to reinforce that.

“Allocation of GT-Rs will be based on a number of criteria including the sale of current 350Z models so that may help ease some of the mark-up pressure.
“Finally we are requiring dealers to submit pre-sale paperwork through our regional offices which includes the sale price so that Nissan can provide ongoing counsel regarding mark-ups of the vehicle.”
It’s true, as independently owned businesses the dealerships are free to set their own prices, but this is something that will only hurt the brand and GT-R moniker, not help it.
Source

And people thought the mark ups on GT500s were outrageous.
Old 1/31/08, 09:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
People will pay that, and thankfully this will keep it out of the range of almost any ricer. Unfortunately, price isn't a deterrent to all of them, but it will at least keep them at bay for a while.
Old 1/31/08, 09:57 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone surprised by this?
Old 1/31/08, 09:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
Nope.
Old 1/31/08, 10:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Not remotely. Really helps with that image of most dealer franchises ripping people off. Hard to believe that there is NO mechanism to keep at least a ceiling on pricing for these vehicles. I wish you could buy directly from car manufacturers. It just seems so idiotic that many people will stay away from ridiculous ADM's. There have been so many cars that have died, often it isn't the design that makes a vehicle sell poorly, or at least poorer than it could, resulting in premature cancellation. Is it any mystery then why the upgraded models of many cars and trucks (performance cars in particular) aren't the vehicles that make automakers money? Who wants to deal with this BS. You'd have to be a serious japanese performance worshiper to want to pay that kind of premium.
Old 1/31/08, 11:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Surprised, no. Disgusted, yes. Among the many things about car dealers that tick me off, dealer markups are by far the worst. I just can't believe that people will actually pay the extra money.
Old 2/1/08, 05:33 AM
GT Member

one thing, they couldn't pay me that much to drive one
Old 2/1/08, 06:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't suprise me in the least. Let me tell you, I was at a Ferrari dealer in Arizona, when I was at Barrett-Jackson a few weeks ago. The price for a 2006 USED F430 Spyder was over $330,000! The MSRP of a 2008 is $250,000!! They are marking up the used ones this much!! So, its not just Ford dealers, Nissan dealers, but everyone. And I know some will say its Ferrari, but they make more cars than the GT-R. This is disturbing to have a car almost double the price with the markup added in the case of the GT-R! Plus, IMO, its ugly!! The Proto Concept was much better looking. And whoever designed the interior should be fired yesterday!! I'm sure others have seen it. Circa 1985!! All that for over $100,000! It makes a GT500 at $5,000 over MSRP a bargin.
Old 2/3/08, 12:52 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's funny how as Godzilla's price goes up, the impressiveness of its performance goes down.
Old 2/3/08, 02:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang.
if you go on ebay there is a guy wanting $75,000 for a gt500 with 10,000 miles on it. well idk if its still on there or not.
Old 2/3/08, 03:09 PM
FR500 Member

must be the same guys selling GT500's last year jumping ship to the nissan dealers...
Old 2/4/08, 07:54 AM
GT Member

I took my sister to the local Nissan dealership on Saturday since she was looking at that new 2009 Murano. The salesman, a good friend of hers, got to talking to me about the GT-R and said that every one of theirs were already accounted for. They got $120,000 for each of them and that all but one was paid for the day they were accounted for. The most recent one sold, the one that isn't 100% paid for, still had an $80,000 deposit.

Some people have too much freakin money.....
Old 2/4/08, 08:18 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what you don't have $120k just laying around for you to blow on a car?
Old 2/4/08, 08:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nope had to burn some last week to keep warm! Well so much for bang for the buck supercar notion. The Z06 seems like a much better bargin choice now.
Old 2/4/08, 09:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Slims00ls1z28
Nope had to burn some last week to keep warm! Well so much for bang for the buck supercar notion. The Z06 seems like a much better bargin choice now.
I think it always will be.
Old 2/6/08, 10:43 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm sure all the people who ploopped down 120k on the GT-R wouldn't mind if the sales were poor enough to cancel production. That way they would have an "exclusive collectors car" worth the extra charge.

Heh, makes me giggle like when I hear SN95 guys *****ing about how Ford has ruined the exclusivity of the Bullitt and possibly the Mach.
Old 2/7/08, 02:59 AM
Cobra Member

I'm buying mine for less than $500.

Playstation 3 and Gran Turismo 5 combo