Search this Thread

Old 7/19/08, 09:41 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Scott Settlemire (Fbodfather) says Z/28 is still on

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...=620285&page=2

And he's in pretty tight with GM.

As for the Mustang, he's equally blunt. "We understand their strategy-a Mustang for every buyer. We're not taking that strategy. We've had their whole range on certain rides with us and evaluated all of them. I'm not worried." Fighting words, indeed.
Oppenheiser's comments are interesting, I guess I'll read this (along with the fact that GM's marketing department seems to identify the Camaro like the 350z - a car for somebody who wants to be different) as GM is going after the "discriminating" individual rather than cater to the masses - seems to me they used a similar strategy with the 4th gen?

I suppose the F5 will fair better since the 3rd and 4th gen cars were essentially custom plateforms and the F5 is a shared chassis.

Well atleast the article will whip the fanbois into a frenzy

Last edited by bob; 7/19/08 at 10:03 PM.
Old 7/19/08, 10:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lofty talk for his audience.

Don't kid yourself, GM is scared. Unless things take a quick turn this couldn't be the worse time to introduce a vehicle like the Z28.

If they put a 4cyl in that Camaro as I read was one idea, they'll sell those.
Many of Chryslers 'pre-sold' '08 SRT8 Challengers seem to have suddenly come available now too.
Old 7/19/08, 10:22 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bob

Uh..he IS GM.
It's not like he's an outside guy.
He used to be the Camaro's brand manager.
He now has a different job title but he's still on the car in some way.(IIRC)
More to do with Autoshows and the like
Old 7/19/08, 11:51 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
You know that, I know that - probably not alot of Mustang guys know that. I lamnet the fact that we don't have a Scott Settlemire of our own. The guy has been fantastic for the Camaro community when it comes to rumor control and making sure people who are serious about Camaro beyond consumer clinics have a voice.
Old 7/20/08, 12:39 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RCSignals
That's from GM's official Camaro site.

The other interior shots from elsewhere don't look too radically different. I don't see light years of difference.

still basically the same weird design mix of square bug eye guage pods with round guages, rectangular guages in the console and mixture of round and rectangular vents. Like it was all designed by separate people in isolation then put together.

I'm glad someone likes it.

trust me that is the concept..this i can say with 100% certainty
I still think they are miles apart. And i will also say at least GM had the guts to do this. I personally love the guages by the shifter and the so called Dpad controls don't bug me at all.
I really like how the dash is tied into the door panels..has nice flowing lines.
Yes the grille bugs me a bit and the rear is worse but over all i'm warming to this car. Would still rather have a chally but hey such is life.
Old 7/20/08, 02:39 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think the camaro's interior is ugly but i do think its better than the challenger's because at least it has character and its unique to the car.

has any body figured out where they will put the NAV or if you can install an aftermarket radio??
Old 7/21/08, 12:44 PM

Camaro looks real good. I'm gonna have to buy one of those SS models to sit next to my Stang.
Old 7/21/08, 01:00 PM
I Have No Life

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=470584

See...
3750 - 3780lbs - V6
3860 - 3913lbs - SS
Old 7/21/08, 02:36 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=470584

See...
3750 - 3780lbs - V6
3860 - 3913lbs - SS
Bone dry with no spare, floor mats, jack, manuals, optional equipment, or excess dust would be my guess.
Old 7/21/08, 05:06 PM
Bullitt Member

As for the Mustang, he's equally blunt. "We understand their strategy-a Mustang for every buyer. We're not taking that strategy. We've had their whole range on certain rides with us and evaluated all of them. I'm not worried." Fighting words, indeed.
Heh, and why is it that the Stang didn't die and the Camaro did? They had better hope they can price this right or they will die again.
Old 7/21/08, 05:09 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
that makes 1 of us.. i don't like the game controller radio, the really lop side looking steering wheel and those guages infront of the shifter should have stayed in 1969.

Other then that the interior looks fine.
two of us actually

The new stang better be fantastic, otherwise I might have to saw I like this more
Old 7/21/08, 09:12 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CA Stang
Wow, it looks like the Camaro is setting the bar high for the Mustang. I really liked the Camaro concept when it came out, and I think that GM did a real good job of maintaining the integrity of the concept. The production interior is a bit different, but nice, and looks to be of high quality.

My biggest problem with the Camaro is the amount of time it has taken to move this vehicle towards production, especially since we have been seeing pre-production pics for quite some time now.

As impressive as the SS is going to be, I'm even more impressed with the V6. 300 hp using the CTS's direct inject V6, along with an independent rear suspension, and the RS package which includes the 20 inch wheels and HIDs. Not too mention the small stuff like paddle shifters for the automatic, painted side mirrors and a modern integrated antenna.

I'm more of a Mustang enthusiast, and would always look at a Mustang first. I'm confident the styling of the 2010 Mustang will look great and the interior will be of higher quality than the current car, and more potent engines will soon follow. But if the Camaro is competitively priced to the V6 and GT Mustangs, with a more advanced suspension (no matter what the proponents of a solid rear axle argue), along with the "small stuff" I mentioned above, most of which I don't expect to be on the next Mustang, then I could see myself being swayed over to GM if I were in the market for another muscle car.

I'll hold final judgement until we see the new Mustang, but I'll give GM props for the job they have done with the new Camaro.
Well said.
Old 7/21/08, 09:16 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Von Bek
Heh, and why is it that the Stang didn't die and the Camaro did? They had better hope they can price this right or they will die again.
Remember, this car ain't just for the North American market anymore. Like Caddy is doing with the CTS, the new Camaro will be marketed in Europe and Australia, where higher quality, well-rounded performers are the order of the day.
Old 7/21/08, 09:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Well said.
Thanks.
Old 7/22/08, 03:24 AM
Closet American

Looks pretty damned good to me.
Old 7/22/08, 09:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bob

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...=620285&page=2

Oppenheiser's comments are interesting, I guess I'll read this (along with the fact that GM's marketing department seems to identify the Camaro like the 350z - a car for somebody who wants to be different) as GM is going after the "discriminating" individual rather than cater to the masses - seems to me they used a similar strategy with the 4th gen?

I suppose the F5 will fair better since the 3rd and 4th gen cars were essentially custom plateforms and the F5 is a shared chassis.

Well atleast the article will whip the fanbois into a frenzy
Maybe but no hint of a Z28 with the 'Official' NEWS 21 July.

So what's the plan?
Old 7/22/08, 11:22 AM
I Have No Life

One would assume they wouldn't announce any Z28 till next year.
Let the base/SS take the spotlight for a while.

Introduce the Z28 next year (after the Convertable is released) to continue the hype train into the product lifecycle.
Old 7/22/08, 11:38 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the hype train derailed last year

But i do agree, cause the rich gotta have it now people will buy the SS if thats the only thing available and then when the Z28 comes out those same rich gotta have people will be trading and buying that one too. so might as well sell 2 if you can rather then one!
Old 7/22/08, 08:18 PM
Closet American

I know you're joking, but honestly, looking at the specs, the new Camaro is a nice bit of kit overall. The 2010 Stang will really have to up its game to be competitive.

But i do agree, cause the rich gotta have it now people will buy the SS if thats the only thing available and then when the Z28 comes out those same rich gotta have people will be trading and buying that one too. so might as well sell 2 if you can rather then one!
Totally true.
Old 7/22/08, 09:16 PM
Cobra Member

Complete opposite to what Chrysler has done.

I'm not sure though that GM marketing is so convoluted in their planning. Not even a hint of the Z28 which by now has been no secret that one has been in planning, seems odd.

The rich gotta have it now would still buy a SS now and buy the promised Z28 when it appears if there is to be one. They've waited all this time for the Camaro already.

Quick Reply: Camaro RS production info and pics