General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

BMW not CAFE friendly!

Search this Thread

Old 9/22/04, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a...mw_040920171827

Imagine if this had happened to Ford.. One more reason why the media is biased! I bet you can't even find the article on Detroit News! All in all though, I say good for them! I hate the EPA, they are a bunch of usless hippies in my mind. Yes I do believe in keeping a clean enviroment but fleet milage is bullpoo! Emissions is the only thing that should matter! Well $42 million isn't sooo bad for a big company like Barvarian Motor Works, is it?
Old 9/22/04, 09:45 PM
Cobra Member

I'm thankful for both the EPA and CAFE. Then again, you didn't breathe the air in LA in the 50's like I did.

Where was the media bias in that article? I sure didn't see it. The only reason the Big 3 don't don't get hit with fines like that is that trucks and SUV's don't fall under fleet car ctaegories, though in my opinion they should.

You may not like it, but in order to reduce our dependency on imported oil, we're going to go down the road of alternative fuels like hybrids, fuel cells, ehtnaol, and the "hydrogen highway" in the not too distant future. I'll be glad to see it happen.
Old 9/22/04, 09:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Too bad, Bmw is one of the biggest R&D houses for hydrogen cars.

Still the worlds greatest driving machine.
Old 9/22/04, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Between all the oil that is being opened up in Canada and the fact that only 20% of our oil comes the Middle East, it's not that big of a deal. We haven't even begin to really dig into Alaska yet! Why not just mix more ethanol into the gas mixture? Also, thanks to Changing World Technologies http://www.changingworldtech.com./home.html , there will be renewable oil in the near future. We don't really have an oil problem! Also, MPG has nothing to do with pollution. It's a stupid number that tells you how many Miles Per Gallon you are getting! Emissions is what matters! Emissions is the amount of deadly toxins your exhaust are emitting. So as long as it is a certified low emission vehicle, why should it matter how many MPG you are getting? There is bias btw, not in this article but because if this were a domestic company, everyone and Fox news would be covering the story! Aka, Ford Focus recalls.
Old 9/23/04, 12:11 PM
GT Member

Why is this story not front page news? The newspapers and TV news keeps telling us how bad for the environment SUVs are, but none of them notice that BMW just paid a 42 MILLION Dollar fine for not meeting CAFE? Where are the environmentalists? Wait, I know... they're driving around in their BMWs
Old 9/23/04, 12:44 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Originally posted by scottie1113@September 22, 2004, 8:48 PM
I'm thankful for both the EPA and CAFE. Then again, you didn't breathe the air in LA in the 50's like I did.

Where was the media bias in that article? I sure didn't see it. The only reason the Big 3 don't don't get hit with fines like that is that trucks and SUV's don't fall under fleet car ctaegories, though in my opinion they should.

You may not like it, but in order to reduce our dependency on imported oil, we're going to go down the road of alternative fuels like hybrids, fuel cells, ehtnaol, and the "hydrogen highway" in the not too distant future. I'll be glad to see it happen.
good point scott

if it wasnt for those organization, the air would be browner than

our air has acutally become better. i was born, and raised, and still live in the L.A. area, so i know for a fact that the air isnt as brown as it was years back

and there wasnt any bias

im not sure about the emission thing, but i think that mpg does still matter. if a car has low mpg and low emissions, the emissions thrown into the air would probably equal that of a car with high emissions and high mpg in the same distance run.