General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Best Performance Value?

Search this Thread

Old 3/19/10, 11:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Best Performance Value?

What in anyones opinion is the best 2 door performance car for under 35k?

New and Used

New: I'm either thinking Mustang GT or Camaro SS

Used: Vette or M3
Old 3/20/10, 05:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh boy.....this could get interesting.
Old 3/20/10, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
Oh boy.....this could get interesting.
I'm just trying to get some good info.

And lets try to keep the answers civilized. We don't want to be like Camaro5 do we? lol
Old 3/20/10, 09:52 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Too early to tell. The Camaro SS is not the best bang for the buck, even staying strictly in the Bowtie camp. The V6 has the same features, reasonable performance, and due to its lighter weight is a better balanced car than the SS and can be had for under $30K, loaded. I'm not a big GM fan, but the effort they put into the new V6 Camaro is impressive. (I'm not as impressed with the SS.)

If the Mustang 3.7 lives up to its billing, the best performance bang for the bucks might be the Mustang V6. Lighter and more nimble than the Camaro, if the performance is close to the outgoing 4.6 V8 (the V6 has less torque, but as much horsepower, and less weight to carry), the V6 'stang could be one of the best bang-for-the-buck rides on the market this year. (But wait until tests/reviews are in.)

If you've got to have a V8, then you've got to have a V8, and I don't think you could go wrong with the SS or the Mustang GT. But if you like to have the creature comforts to go along with the V8 power, don't be surprised to see the price tag closer to 37K on the new ones.

You might check out a 2010 Mustang GT. The dealers have incentive to move them. You could get a new car, a V8 (with 315-HP) and stay under 30K.

It's your money--buy what you like! Remember don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
Old 3/20/10, 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
I'm just trying to get some good info.

And lets try to keep the answers civilized. We don't want to be like Camaro5 do we? lol
I hear ya man. How about a low mileage 08-09 GT and have Ford slap on a Whipple? A few other mods and you have a monster without breaking the bank.
Old 3/20/10, 11:46 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

03/04 Cobra
Old 3/20/10, 12:34 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C5 Z06, if you can find one. I also agree with the above-stated M3, though it may not be everything for everyone. I think the Camaro is too early in its stage to be a "bang for the buck" as we all know how GM vehicles can't seem to hold value for their life. Come this summer when gas is over $3 on average again and we'll see what happens to not only the Camaro, but Mustang and Challenger.

Overall, I think i'd go with the Z06. Its got the top end, the aftermarket support is good even though its a bit costly and they are great for highway, straight line(so long as you don't break the rear end) and fantastic for road course.
Old 3/20/10, 01:00 PM
Cobra Member

A year or so ago a friend of mine bought a very nice used 2006 Corvette for $32k. Just saying...
Old 3/20/10, 01:02 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
A year or so ago a friend of mine bought a very nice used 2006 Corvette for $32k. Just saying...
Non-Z06 i'm guessing? That Z06 badge makes a huge difference.
Old 3/20/10, 01:03 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
If you can live with 2 seats...a low mile C5 Z06.

Preferably one that was driven back and forth to the country club by a doc in his 50's.
Old 3/20/10, 09:31 PM
FR500 Member

New: Mustang
Used: Corvette (BMW parts/maintenance costs can cancel out the "value" part of the equation)
Old 3/20/10, 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bt4
Too early to tell. The Camaro SS is not the best bang for the buck, even staying strictly in the Bowtie camp. The V6 has the same features, reasonable performance, and due to its lighter weight is a better balanced car than the SS and can be had for under $30K, loaded. I'm not a big GM fan, but the effort they put into the new V6 Camaro is impressive. (I'm not as impressed with the SS.)

If the Mustang 3.7 lives up to its billing, the best performance bang for the bucks might be the Mustang V6. Lighter and more nimble than the Camaro, if the performance is close to the outgoing 4.6 V8 (the V6 has less torque, but as much horsepower, and less weight to carry), the V6 'stang could be one of the best bang-for-the-buck rides on the market this year. (But wait until tests/reviews are in.)

If you've got to have a V8, then you've got to have a V8, and I don't think you could go wrong with the SS or the Mustang GT. But if you like to have the creature comforts to go along with the V8 power, don't be surprised to see the price tag closer to 37K on the new ones.

You might check out a 2010 Mustang GT. The dealers have incentive to move them. You could get a new car, a V8 (with 315-HP) and stay under 30K.

It's your money--buy what you like! Remember don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
Thanks. I definitely want a V8. The V6 is going to be one hell of a car though. If I wasn't used to driving a V8 I would really opt for a MCA edition V6. The 10s are nice but I don't think I would be able to find one in the options that I could live with. Therefore I would order a 5.0

The SS is a real aggressive looking car from the front but for me the back just kills it. They should have made the roof line extend even with the rest of the body work on the side.

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
I hear ya man. How about a low mileage 08-09 GT and have Ford slap on a Whipple? A few other mods and you have a monster without breaking the bank.
I like the 09 GT and still might get one depending on wether or not the insurance falls on me or if the car will be in my dads name.

Originally Posted by Red Star
03/04 Cobra
Would not mind a Cobra. Its not out the question but for some reason not my first choice. Really bada$$ car though.

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
C5 Z06, if you can find one. I also agree with the above-stated M3, though it may not be everything for everyone. I think the Camaro is too early in its stage to be a "bang for the buck" as we all know how GM vehicles can't seem to hold value for their life. Come this summer when gas is over $3 on average again and we'll see what happens to not only the Camaro, but Mustang and Challenger.

Overall, I think i'd go with the Z06. Its got the top end, the aftermarket support is good even though its a bit costly and they are great for highway, straight line(so long as you don't break the rear end) and fantastic for road course.
The only problem with the Vette for me is the non existence of a backseat. But owning a Vette has been a dream of mine since I was a kid.

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
If you can live with 2 seats...a low mile C5 Z06.

Preferably one that was driven back and forth to the country club by a doc in his 50's.
Z06 sounds so awesome. I might have to look for one

Originally Posted by hi5.0
New: Mustang
Used: Corvette (BMW parts/maintenance costs can cancel out the "value" part of the equation)
Yeah forgot the maintenance of the BMWs. So I think an M3 is out the question.
Old 3/21/10, 04:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Talk about a loaded question.

Depends on what you are looking for.

Car Truck SUV? Staying in the 2000 and later theres way to many pre 2000.

Used:

Trucks

The last gen lightnings get the nod for the trucks hands down. Solid carlike performance with pretty good and easy upgrade potential and there are many in the 10K range. Look for fairly low to no modded ones preferrably as the blocks aren't as stout as the 03/04 cobras. Not the best on gas but not near as bad as the SUV's

SRT-10's with blistering speed but much more weight but can actually be had starting in the low 20's. Modding after standard boltons are more costly than the lightning however. Quite a bit heavier as well.

SUV's

The Cherokee SRT8 is the fastest but rare and expensive if you can find one. AWD 425 hp 4 doors clean looks and mucho grin factor. NOT FOR GAS MILEAGE! Worse than the trucks.

The Trailblazer SS. 6.0, 400 hp 2wd or 4wd and still looks pretty **** good for an SUV with tons of aftermarket support. Just watch the trans if you use slicks and get into the low 12's. You can pick them up in the 15k range. NOT FOR GAS MILEAGE! Worse than the trucks

Trailblazer 5.3 V8. Basically a cheaper trailblazer with an LS based 5.3 capable of 400 hp with the right bolt on's. It's an LS design so most everything that fits on LS1/2/6/ etc with exception of 6.2 heads.

I know there are V8 Explorers but honestly I don't know what V8 or the mod potential to them are.

Cars. 2 door 4 door?

4 Doors

Pontiac G8 GT, GXP is faster stock and comes with 6m but with more cost (10K+) with bolt on's and tune you are pushing mid to low 12's on DR's. Entry cost 17-22ish. Great handling cars nice interiors 4 doors very moddable. As they said on many comparo's M series performance (3 for GT 5 for GXP) at GM cost.

Cadillac CTS-V's, nimble fairly quick and fairly luxurious (especially on the latter ones) 2004's had the 400 hp 5.7 LS6 (C5 Z06 engine) that are just as easy to mod engine trans wise as any chevy and start in the low teens but can get to 20's fast. 2006's came with the 6.0L LS2 that has more potential than the 5.7 but more cost (starting mid teens to mid 20's). 08's+ are by far the best with 556 supercharged horses (4 Door GT500's) and superb handling but you gotta pay to play here starting in the mid 40's.

Mercury Marauders. Big shiny and look good with V8's and four doors. Not quite as fast as the G8's and caddy's stock but for starting prices at 10K you can spend what you saved to rectify that. And come on wouldn't you love to see the look on a camaro/stang drivers face that you just blew the doors off in a big 4 door.

Chargers- Like it or hate it interiors, same with exterior 4 doors with 2 flavor hemis. R/T's for entry level (mid to high teens) SRT8's for the 425 hp but pricy at high 20-s to 30's. Many common replacement parts are dealer only parts and expensive.

300C's Same as above but more on the luxury side.

Crown vics-Same as marauders with more sleeper looks less appointed interiors and cheaper buy in. Under 10K for decent examples. Cheap insurance.

2 Doors

Z06's C5's for under 20, C6's starting at low 40's (priced out a fully loaded GT or Camaro?). Nuff said on those.

03/04 Termi's Nuff said. I've seen plenty under 20. Hard to beat at any bargin level. C5Z06 beaters with minimal mods for about the same buy in.

LS1 Fbodies. Sorry, but during the LS1's run their performance value is hard to beat (the above not withstanding of course). More power in stock trim than mod motors and cheaper to mod especially for those without $ to plunk down on blowers. Look for Z28's non WS6's. Don't believe the hype SS's and WS6's do not have an advantage over the lesser optioned and subsequently lighter brethren with the exact same drivetrain and for the most part can be had for under 12K wheras SS and WS6 owners are proud of their plaques and it reflects in price. The fastest if you can find one are 1SC Z28's (stripper cars with roll up windows). 12's stock if you can drive with high 20's gas mileage (I hit 30 regularly) are easy with any LS1 Fbody. They run tic for tac with standard C5 vettes.

Mach 1's Driver's races with Fbodies with buyins a little more than the Z28's. N/A mods going to cost a bit more than LS1's. Blown are again driver's races vs blown LS1's.

05-06 GTO's great seats, nice interior's, 400 HP LS2's, IRS handling, solid high 12 bottom 13's full back seats (though tough to get to). One flavor fully loaded. Power everything. Stick with the 05/06 the 04's have less power and worse brakes. Tricky launches stock. Looks are in the eye of the beholder I guess, personally like mine. It's mostly stock. Average 15K. Any parts that are not engine and trans related are dealership only and expensive.

S195's shouldn't have much to explain here. They should be well versed here.

On the SS VS 5.0? Hmm my own prediction drivers race. All things equal (drivers track etc) the 5.0 will have an edge. Stock SS's can and do hit 12.8's stock with trap speeds indicating 12.7's are viable. 5.0's should do slightly better. Guessing in the 12.7 maybe 12.6 (lighter C6's hit 12.5's so I doubt a heavier 5.0 with less hp can touch that) though that is going to be rare as the 12.7 Camaro's.

Last edited by Slims00ls1z28; 3/21/10 at 05:08 AM.
Old 3/21/10, 04:19 PM
Cobra Member

Correct. It is the base model. The C6 Z06s are priced into the stratosphere now.

Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
Non-Z06 i'm guessing? That Z06 badge makes a huge difference.
Old 3/21/10, 05:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might be able to pick up a used GT500 for around that price. That's my vote, but I'm bias...
Old 3/21/10, 06:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
You know, I could put up any car and it be wrong. Because regardless of 'bang for the buck', not everyone 'fits' cars the same. Best bang for the buck is something like a used 1990 LX 5.0 notch, and then put 'go fast' in it, when you get down to it, or something of that nature.

NEW, the 2011 Mustang V6 has got to be hands down a winner. Used? Plenty of 'bang/buck' for the 05-09 GTs. Straying outside that? Whatever, it's your money, choose the best car for you.
Old 3/21/10, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Slims00ls1z28
Talk about a loaded question.

Depends on what you are looking for.

Car Truck SUV? Staying in the 2000 and later theres way to many pre 2000.

Used:

Trucks

The last gen lightnings get the nod for the trucks hands down. Solid carlike performance with pretty good and easy upgrade potential and there are many in the 10K range. Look for fairly low to no modded ones preferrably as the blocks aren't as stout as the 03/04 cobras. Not the best on gas but not near as bad as the SUV's

SRT-10's with blistering speed but much more weight but can actually be had starting in the low 20's. Modding after standard boltons are more costly than the lightning however. Quite a bit heavier as well.

SUV's

The Cherokee SRT8 is the fastest but rare and expensive if you can find one. AWD 425 hp 4 doors clean looks and mucho grin factor. NOT FOR GAS MILEAGE! Worse than the trucks.

The Trailblazer SS. 6.0, 400 hp 2wd or 4wd and still looks pretty **** good for an SUV with tons of aftermarket support. Just watch the trans if you use slicks and get into the low 12's. You can pick them up in the 15k range. NOT FOR GAS MILEAGE! Worse than the trucks

Trailblazer 5.3 V8. Basically a cheaper trailblazer with an LS based 5.3 capable of 400 hp with the right bolt on's. It's an LS design so most everything that fits on LS1/2/6/ etc with exception of 6.2 heads.

I know there are V8 Explorers but honestly I don't know what V8 or the mod potential to them are.

Cars. 2 door 4 door?

4 Doors

Pontiac G8 GT, GXP is faster stock and comes with 6m but with more cost (10K+) with bolt on's and tune you are pushing mid to low 12's on DR's. Entry cost 17-22ish. Great handling cars nice interiors 4 doors very moddable. As they said on many comparo's M series performance (3 for GT 5 for GXP) at GM cost.

Cadillac CTS-V's, nimble fairly quick and fairly luxurious (especially on the latter ones) 2004's had the 400 hp 5.7 LS6 (C5 Z06 engine) that are just as easy to mod engine trans wise as any chevy and start in the low teens but can get to 20's fast. 2006's came with the 6.0L LS2 that has more potential than the 5.7 but more cost (starting mid teens to mid 20's). 08's+ are by far the best with 556 supercharged horses (4 Door GT500's) and superb handling but you gotta pay to play here starting in the mid 40's.

Mercury Marauders. Big shiny and look good with V8's and four doors. Not quite as fast as the G8's and caddy's stock but for starting prices at 10K you can spend what you saved to rectify that. And come on wouldn't you love to see the look on a camaro/stang drivers face that you just blew the doors off in a big 4 door.

Chargers- Like it or hate it interiors, same with exterior 4 doors with 2 flavor hemis. R/T's for entry level (mid to high teens) SRT8's for the 425 hp but pricy at high 20-s to 30's. Many common replacement parts are dealer only parts and expensive.

300C's Same as above but more on the luxury side.

Crown vics-Same as marauders with more sleeper looks less appointed interiors and cheaper buy in. Under 10K for decent examples. Cheap insurance.

2 Doors

Z06's C5's for under 20, C6's starting at low 40's (priced out a fully loaded GT or Camaro?). Nuff said on those.

03/04 Termi's Nuff said. I've seen plenty under 20. Hard to beat at any bargin level. C5Z06 beaters with minimal mods for about the same buy in.

LS1 Fbodies. Sorry, but during the LS1's run their performance value is hard to beat (the above not withstanding of course). More power in stock trim than mod motors and cheaper to mod especially for those without $ to plunk down on blowers. Look for Z28's non WS6's. Don't believe the hype SS's and WS6's do not have an advantage over the lesser optioned and subsequently lighter brethren with the exact same drivetrain and for the most part can be had for under 12K wheras SS and WS6 owners are proud of their plaques and it reflects in price. The fastest if you can find one are 1SC Z28's (stripper cars with roll up windows). 12's stock if you can drive with high 20's gas mileage (I hit 30 regularly) are easy with any LS1 Fbody. They run tic for tac with standard C5 vettes.

Mach 1's Driver's races with Fbodies with buyins a little more than the Z28's. N/A mods going to cost a bit more than LS1's. Blown are again driver's races vs blown LS1's.

05-06 GTO's great seats, nice interior's, 400 HP LS2's, IRS handling, solid high 12 bottom 13's full back seats (though tough to get to). One flavor fully loaded. Power everything. Stick with the 05/06 the 04's have less power and worse brakes. Tricky launches stock. Looks are in the eye of the beholder I guess, personally like mine. It's mostly stock. Average 15K. Any parts that are not engine and trans related are dealership only and expensive.

S195's shouldn't have much to explain here. They should be well versed here.

On the SS VS 5.0? Hmm my own prediction drivers race. All things equal (drivers track etc) the 5.0 will have an edge. Stock SS's can and do hit 12.8's stock with trap speeds indicating 12.7's are viable. 5.0's should do slightly better. Guessing in the 12.7 maybe 12.6 (lighter C6's hit 12.5's so I doubt a heavier 5.0 with less hp can touch that) though that is going to be rare as the 12.7 Camaro's.
Thanks for the great reply. Not really in the market for a truck or SUV since I don't have a family and am only 21. Just trying to figure out some alternatives other then a stang.

I pretty much have narrowed it down to 3 options:
1. 2011 5.0
2. 2004 Cobra
3. C5 or if possible C6 Z06

The 5.0 seems to be a really great bargain and should potentially keep up with the Cobra. The updated interior is a really strong point to the 5.0 The backseat for me is probably something I will rarely use but it is nice to know it is there.

The Cobra has great modding potential and is already a built motor. I would not have to worry about adding a sc either. The sound of these cars with aftermarket exhaust is one thing the Cobra gets over the S197s for me.

The Z06. I would love to own a Vette and the Z06 would be more then enough in a car. I don't know if I would be able to live with it as a DD though. Not out the question but so far not my first choice.

Oh and I think you meant S197. Just a typo.

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
You might be able to pick up a used GT500 for around that price. That's my vote, but I'm bias...
A GT500 would be nice. These engines are also built and come with a sc but I don't want one as a DD. Don't get me wrong I'm sure they are perfectly capable but it is not a car I could add my own unique flair to. These cars are best left stock as far as looks go.

Originally Posted by houtex
You know, I could put up any car and it be wrong. Because regardless of 'bang for the buck', not everyone 'fits' cars the same. Best bang for the buck is something like a used 1990 LX 5.0 notch, and then put 'go fast' in it, when you get down to it, or something of that nature.

NEW, the 2011 Mustang V6 has got to be hands down a winner. Used? Plenty of 'bang/buck' for the 05-09 GTs. Straying outside that? Whatever, it's your money, choose the best car for you.
The 5.0 LX option is a good idea I just don't have the time or money to build a car from the ground up. I think I will defiantly get a project going further down the road. The V6 will be a great bargin I am just used to a car with a V8 in it. If I could I would get a V6 MCA DD and a Z06 for the weekend.
Old 3/22/10, 01:04 AM
FR500 Member

What ever vehicle you end up with, hope the insurance doesn't put too much of a dent in your funds.