General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Beginning of the end for Land Rover?

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/04, 03:45 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Land Rover 'rescue' plan rejected

The future of Land Rover production will be discussed on Wednesday

Management and unions at the only Land Rover factory in the country have been given another week to come up with a plan to secure its future.
Ford, which owns it, had given them eight weeks to work out ways of improving productivity at Solihull.

A Land Rover spokeswoman says a senior Ford of Europe executive is "not completely satisfied" with their plan.

She dismissed reports claiming all Land Rover production could be moved to other plants within 30 days.

Mark Fields, president of Ford's Premier Automotive Group (PAG), had earlier told the factory's 8,000 staff that they might lose their jobs unless they could improve efficiency.

The Land Rover spokeswoman told BBC News Online: "A meeting was held at the end of eight weeks between Mark Fields, local management and trade unions regarding the road map at the Solihull plant.

"He's not completely satisfied but feels good progress has been made.

"He's given them another week to come up with a satisfactory road map and a meeting will be held next Wednesday, 8 September."

PAG includes Volvo, Jaguar and Aston Martin as well as Land Rover.

Freelander moved

Speaking from the US, a former vice president of Ford of Europe, Karl Ludvigsen, said the situation was "extremely serious".

He added: "Ford has an opportunity to make use of unused capacity at Jaguar plants.

"They have the ability, should they wish to do so, to move production to those factories, particularly Halewood."

It has already been decided that the production of Land Rover's Freelander model will be moved to Halewood, Merseyside, in 2006.

Land Rover's headquarters is based at Gaydon, Warwickshire, but its only manufacturing site is at Solihull.
Old 9/3/04, 12:02 PM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hope its the end of the land rover in the hands of people that just want to show of their moneys. i really believe SUV's are useless (and horrible looking) in the hands of people that dont "need" them. SUV's are really only useful in safaris, rough terrain, for work, etc.
12 miles per gallon is seriously a joke, thats the mileage the land rover discovery and range rover get.
ive already posted things on SUV's, blah blah blah
i remember a review on the land rover, it went something like this "the only reason you should have a land rover is if youre going on safari or you want to show off to your neighbors." and IMO the latter reason isnt a reason at all
of course all of this is just my opinion ^_^
Old 9/3/04, 01:23 PM
GTR Member

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@September 3, 2004, 2:05 PM
i hope its the end of the land rover in the hands of people that just want to show of their moneys. i really believe SUV's are useless (and horrible looking) in the hands of people that dont "need" them. SUV's are really only useful in safaris, rough terrain, for work, etc.
12 miles per gallon is seriously a joke, thats the mileage the land rover discovery and range rover get.
ive already posted things on SUV's, blah blah blah
i remember a review on the land rover, it went something like this "the only reason you should have a land rover is if youre going on safari or you want to show off to your neighbors." and IMO the latter reason isnt a reason at all
of course all of this is just my opinion ^_^
I see you point, but I also see YET ANOTHER British car maker going to the wall. Yes, Ford rescued them, but I still do not want to see them as another "Past" car maker!
Old 9/3/04, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

From what I gleaned ut of that article, the only thing in danger is the solihull plant. Sounds like they will be outsourcing the work to Jaguar plants.

Also, I like Suvs, If I want one, I can buy one, theres no one to stop me and there is no reason why there should be. I would buy a Range Rover simply for the fact that I love the looks and I love the interior.
Old 9/4/04, 11:33 AM
Cobra Member

land rovers are going to be fine ford just designed a brand new truck thats supposed to be a lot better than the current car i think rappers and basketball players will have them in no time
Old 9/4/04, 11:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by thezeppelin8@September 3, 2004, 12:05 PM
The same could really be said for Mustangs ('Showing off', Status Symbol, Gas Guzzler... etc, etc.) We could all be driving Prius' but then those of us who care about what we drive get what makes sense for us, be it an SUV, Mustang, or Prius.
Old 9/4/04, 11:12 PM
Cobra Member

At least Land Rover made "SUV"s from the start, I can't imagine any other truck or car you would take on safari. LR should be fine, probably more will be made on the continent or in the states if Solihull is closed...
Old 9/9/04, 03:41 AM
GTR Member

Luckilly, Ford accepted Land Rovers revised plan. Solihull survives to fight another day!