General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

Anyone went from their mustang to a camaro ?

Search this Thread

Old 7/31/15, 12:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
this thread is going to show up on camaro forum soon
Old 7/31/15, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Even though I'm a GM guy, I have never really warmed up to this generation of Camaro. I don't like how they look and the visibility inside is horrible. They do have good power and ride.

When I was looking to buy a performance car two years ago, I looked at all three and was going to get the challenger as I think it looks the best out of the three at the time. For a variety of reasons, I didn't get the Challenger and picked my second choice, the Mustang. I don't regret it but I still want a Scat Pack Challenger and plan on getting one some day.

Wayne
Old 7/31/15, 03:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
There are some good comments on here. In general, I suspect that on the whole, the Camaro and Mustang are pretty comparable. Each has pros and cons. I drove both, liked the feel and performance of the Mustang more...but no way in hell am I going to say that any car powered by an LSx (or LTx) motor is crap.

If you're interested in the Camaro and you're aware of the major drawbacks (size and visibility) you might be really happy with it. I honestly don't think the Tremec 6060 is that much better than the MT-82. I've had no problems with mine after 24,000 hard (fun) miles.

I'd take a 1LE any day.

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
...Build quality is fairly poor. Nothing is falling off...but it's all real cheap feeling. Like a 1980's transformers toy...

Say what?

Uhh...Way to lose the internets in one comment.

Old 7/31/15, 08:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

The coyote is a much more modern engine that the LS engines. Its plenty capable and sounds baddass. Government motors makes one engine and sticks it into every car. I will never purchase anything from that recall infested company lol say 33 mil recalls last year?

Last edited by Wild5.0; 7/31/15 at 08:38 PM.
Old 7/31/15, 09:01 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Wild5.0
The coyote is a much more modern engine that the LS engines. Its plenty capable and sounds baddass. Government motors makes one engine and sticks it into every car. I will never purchase anything from that recall infested company lol say 33 mil recalls last year?
Are you aware of how many recalls Toyota has been having in the past year or two?

And the Coyote might be a little too modern for its own good. Expensive to repair and mod. There is a reason why everyone does LS swaps these days. Coyote swaps are incredibly rare. The coyote is a great engine from ford when put in a mustang from the factory, but replacements are very expensive.
Old 7/31/15, 09:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm a Mustang guy but in no way hate the Camaro or Challenger. The Mustang is better because of them. Do you think the GT-350 would exist if not for how awesome the Z28 is? Or the Coyote V8 because of the LS3? And there's plenty of examples the other way too. Competition breeds competition. If I'm being honest, if I'd been completely neutral when shopping, I might've bought a Challenger mostly because it has five extra inches of rear leg room.
Old 7/31/15, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Are you aware of how many recalls Toyota has been having in the past year or two?

And the Coyote might be a little too modern for its own good. Expensive to repair and mod. There is a reason why everyone does LS swaps these days. Coyote swaps are incredibly rare. The coyote is a great engine from ford when put in a mustang from the factory, but replacements are very expensive.
Who cares about imports lol. And i disagree coyote swaps are very popular too. Ls swap is cheaper but cheaper aint always better. Either way it is a great engine too. I know I may be biased because mustang runs in my veins

Last edited by Wild5.0; 7/31/15 at 09:47 PM.
Old 8/1/15, 09:57 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
I was just looking at the LT1 in Gen 6 Camaro and Stingray. Loving 455hp and 455 tq. I did notice that the price tag for one of these crate motors is $11,000, while a stock Coyote is $6500 ans Aluminator Coyote is just under $8,000.

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I'm a Mustang guy but in no way hate the Camaro or Challenger. The Mustang is better because of them. Do you think the GT-350 would exist if not for how awesome the Z28 is? Or the Coyote V8 because of the LS3? And there's plenty of examples the other way too. Competition breeds competition. If I'm being honest, if I'd been completely neutral when shopping, I might've bought a Challenger mostly because it has five extra inches of rear leg room.
I can't wait to see what the '19 Mustang looks like, and I keep holding on to hope that it will be powered by the Voodoo

Originally Posted by Wild5.0
Who cares about imports lol. And i disagree coyote swaps are very popular too. Ls swap is cheaper but cheaper aint always better. Either way it is a great engine too. I know I may be biased because mustang runs in my veins
In resto mods the Coyote is fairly popular. And if you have the money dropping a Aluminator XS into anything would be frikking amazing! If I had a choice between buying the LT1 for $11k or the Aluminator XS with ~520hp for $11.5, I'm picking the Coyote hands down.
Old 8/1/15, 10:39 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I have even more respect for you now Tony!!!!!
Seriously, I'm not one of those anti-Camaro, or anything else, kinda guys. I appreciate the Challenger/Charger, but the Camaro just doesn't float my boat. The interior is blah, the styling is meh. Newer Camaros don't get a second look from me, and I tend to ignore them at shows unless it's owned by a pretty girl. Then I'll fawn all over it.
I'm very superficial that way.
I couldn't agree with you any more Tom.
I don't like the interior or exterior at all. I think it's ugly.
Although,....I am in love with the 2015 Z28. That I will admit.
Old 8/1/15, 12:39 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Didn't mind the exterior, it has a nice stance, etc, I just never could get past the interior...and since that is what I see when driving it can;t be butt ugly.....
Old 8/3/15, 08:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
LS is still way cheaper. A buddy of mine got a junkyard truck motor, put heads on it, intake, and cam, and is making 400 hp and 400 tq to the wheels, all for a few thousand dollars. He has it in an S14 240SX and that thing is QUICK. A coyote engine will cost you 6+ grand and will only make like 380 to the wheels stock. I like the coyote and how it revs, but the LS is a better engine platform to work with.

And here in Indiana at car shows I see LS swaps all the time. I've only seen one Coyote swap car that was in a fox body mustang. Not sure if its different where you guys live.

The reason I didn't buy a camaro was the styling got old to me by 2012/13, it was hard to see out of, and it felt big and slower compared to the Mustang. Plus a base GT with brembos can't really be beat from a performance per dollar standpoint.

Last edited by Coyote5-0; 8/3/15 at 08:46 AM.
Old 8/3/15, 02:03 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the 10-13 Camaro's a lot, the 14's and 15's not so much. The 16 model reminds me of what Ford did to the mustang for 2010. I will say that I am watching that car closely for possibly a new ride down the road.

Last edited by Mustang-4.6; 8/3/15 at 02:04 PM.