General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

2018 Jeep Trackhawk

Search this Thread

Old 10/25/18, 06:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneyusa
I really like the ride of this JGC. Infact I love everything about it except one thing. You guessed it. Mine is equipped with the safety package, blindspot, luxury package with leather, basically everything except block heater and rock rails which I did want but could not find. I know it can handle everything I need it to do. I do love the high MPG and it works for what I need it to do but...

Mine has seen very limited back road travel and nothing I would consider real off road. It has seen snow and ice, dirt roads and does excellent in that department. This is my 5th Jeep, first was a small '90 Cherokee, then 4 Grand Cherokees (99, 04, 12,17). Currently I own a 2012 Overland and 2017 Trailhawk Grand Cherokee. The 2012 primarily driven by my wife is the Overland with the Air Suspension and fully decked out (basically equipped like the 12 Overland Summit), it has the 5.7L V8 (360HP 390TQ). That is how I know I would rather have the V8. I just miss the feel of the power and acceleration a V8 offers. My previous two both had the small 4.7L V8, but the '04 Overland was blessed with the 4.7L H.O., an extra 30HP. They both were rated at less HP than the V6 in the new one. But the V6 is noticeably weak on torque. The V6 PentaStar in the JGC TH is rated at 295HP and 262TQ, where the '04 PowerTech was rated at 265HP and 330TQ. You can feel the difference in the missing torque. It lacks acceleration at higher speeds. The TH V6 feels fine from 0-50, but when you are running at 45 and need to pass, especially on a grade, it has very little left to give. Our speed limits are typically 65 to 70 on the two lane back country highways. So passing is important, plenty of slow goers. Most roads have some steep grades and when you need to pass it is nice to have that quick response to do the job. Of course none of these are anything like my Mustang, but come on. When you push the pedal I expect it to wake up and go. V6 makes the noise but has trouble getting out of its own way when I am above 45 or 50.

I believe that the V6 TH will have what it needs to do Colorado or Moab light offroading. Speed is good for what is needed for off road, but lacking for highway. There is a trade off Power or Gas Mileage with the JGC. The V8 can be a gas pig. I have seen it get over 20 mpg on the highway, but our normal driving with it hovers around 14mpg with no crazy Mustang spirited driving or towing. So I am kind of in the best of both. I have a V8 to take when I need it and a V6 to do my commuting. Both are great vehicles and I will be likely to buy another. I really like the Wrangler as well and came very close to buying a 17 Rubicon Recon (Black with Red). But don't expect to get the same mileage with the PentaStar V6 that I am getting on the JGC. The Wranglers are geared for climbing and off road. I know many who have them and most are seeing 13-15 MPG.

The JGC is a much more comfortable traveling rig and is not a full blown off roader, But it can be decked out and compete with the Wrangler. For most people it will do anything you can do in a Wrangler. The Wrangler will do more if your are going to get into serious rock climbing and extreme stuff. It is primarily designed to do that. It is not the most comfortable commuter. It takes a bit of work to drive on highways.

It is a tough decision. Believe me I was there last summer. Drive all three, Wrangler Unlimited, and both gas engines in the JGC. Some are very high on the diesel as well, but I don't have experience with that one. You will know what is right for you once you give them a try. Good Luck!
Thank you for the insight. I definitely want to test drive both, and will probably do that around the holidays. I plan on ordering when I finally decide which way I want to go, and would like to do that in Jan or Feb.
Old 10/25/18, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe
Same engine as the Range Rover 5.0 SC hi-output models ... just learned all about them in my new Service Advisor training ... up to 575 hp and 516 ft-lbs of torque ... and yeah, over $130k but you know ... Range Rover, not Jeep .... lol
Nice sounding engine, but 130K. Out of my price range. If I would have only won the Mega Millions.
The following users liked this post:
Stage_3 (10/26/18)
Old 10/25/18, 07:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Nice sounding engine, but 130K. Out of my price range. If I would have only won the Mega Millions.
Lol, same here.
They're such cool vehicles ... Air suspension that automatically lowers when you get out, seriously awesome interiors, great looks ... Yeah I'm kinda in love. I want a Range Rover Sport SVR. 557 HP and 516 ft-lbs and just amazing looks inside and out.
As a Mega Millions winner I'd instantly own one.
And probably one of these Hellcat Jeeps too
The following users liked this post:
Stage_3 (10/26/18)
Old 10/26/18, 02:10 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
Same engine as the Range Rover 5.0 SC hi-output models ... just learned all about them in my new Service Advisor training ... up to 575 hp and 516 ft-lbs of torque ... and yeah, over $130k but you know ... Range Rover, not Jeep .... lol
HOLY CRAP!!! 130K?!?!? lol That's out of my league as well. The Jeep is a bit out of my league as well, but I'm sacrificing to make it happen. Hopefully!!

How's the new job treating you so far? I hope good.
Old 10/26/18, 05:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
HOLY CRAP!!! 130K?!?!? lol That's out of my league as well. The Jeep is a bit out of my league as well, but I'm sacrificing to make it happen. Hopefully!!

How's the new job treating you so far? I hope good.
It's OK. Not in love with finding out things that weren't disclosed to me during the interview process, things that will cost me extra time and make me work harder than I expected. Doing other people's job sucks when you don't expect it. Not getting paid on certain things that the industry standard has you getting commission on them, that sucks too.
Old 10/27/18, 07:50 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,198 Posts
It's OK. Not in love with finding out things that weren't disclosed to me during the interview process, things that will cost me extra time and make me work harder than I expected. Doing other people's job sucks when you don't expect it. Not getting paid on certain things that the industry standard has you getting commission on them, that sucks too.
Yeah, that wicked sucks. Sorry bro.
Hopefully a better opportunity comes along. Good luck!