General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

2011 Camaro beats 2011 Mustang V6 in HP (Merged)

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/10 | 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

So the HUD, which was promised for the 2010, is finally debuting. GOOD! If nothing else, the Camaro needs to up it's techno-wow factor since it's not going to win any mechanical comparisons(or races ) for 2011. A HUD will really help that out. Too bad it won't work with GPS unless you buy the OnStar service.

And this might be my complete ignorance talking, but why are all these HUDs so awful looking? They're just reflections on the windshield from a display, can't we get something cooler than monochrome primitive graphics? I mean this:

IS possible. (Granted, far too much windshield realestate is taken up and it'd have to be toned down a bit, but still... it's possible to have your HUD look something like this)

But we get this:

I understand the dilemma of not wanting to compete for attention of the road, but if the Ford lineup is going to put flashy graphics in the normal guagepods...

wouldn't it be wiser to instead put those flashy graphics in a HUD where your eyes are still on the road, giving you a better chance to snap out of any distraction it causes? And if it's a problem of "direct sunlight", the HUDs we're given now don't hold up to direct sunlight either, so why would anyone worry about it?
Old 4/10/10 | 07:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Originally Posted by Skotty
Camaro Rules! Ford did their best to match Chevy but the Camaro still wins!!! I'd never buy a Mustang!
I was like then I read the next post...
Originally Posted by Skotty
I was just trying to pull a few legs around here. lol. I actually have a 2011 Mustang on order.
Then I went You got me!
Old 4/11/10 | 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rjaniz
So the HUD, which was promised for the 2010, is finally debuting. GOOD! If nothing else, the Camaro needs to up it's techno-wow factor since it's not going to win any mechanical comparisons(or races ) for 2011. A HUD will really help that out. Too bad it won't work with GPS unless you buy the OnStar service.

And this might be my complete ignorance talking, but why are all these HUDs so awful looking? They're just reflections on the windshield from a display, can't we get something cooler than monochrome primitive graphics? I mean this:

IS possible. (Granted, far too much windshield realestate is taken up and it'd have to be toned down a bit, but still... it's possible to have your HUD look something like this)

But we get this:

I understand the dilemma of not wanting to compete for attention of the road, but if the Ford lineup is going to put flashy graphics in the normal guagepods...

wouldn't it be wiser to instead put those flashy graphics in a HUD where your eyes are still on the road, giving you a better chance to snap out of any distraction it causes? And if it's a problem of "direct sunlight", the HUDs we're given now don't hold up to direct sunlight either, so why would anyone worry about it?
Automotive HUD's have problems because they dont use multi piece displays that have a projection and combiner glass, like military aviation HUD's do. When an image is projected directly onto one piece of glass that is also a windshield/ windscreen you will have problems.

Realistically in a HUD all you really need, automotive wise is a tachometer, speedometer and maybe engine temp and current gear. You dont need a measurement of lateral G, real time fuel and external ambient temperature. Now from a "fun! gee-wiz this is an awesome gadget!" point of view those are important, but not critical to normal driving. The fact that it is there is another expensive piece of electronics to replace if it fries itself.
Old 4/11/10 | 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 541MoparMan
Automotive HUD's have problems because they dont use multi piece displays that have a projection and combiner glass, like military aviation HUD's do. When an image is projected directly onto one piece of glass that is also a windshield/ windscreen you will have problems.
Sorry, I don't follow. Currently this is how Automotive HUDs work: they project onto the windscreen. So how is it a problem (aside from the possible ghosting of a non-polarized windshield)?

Realistically in a HUD all you really need, automotive wise is a tachometer, speedometer and maybe engine temp and current gear. You dont need a measurement of lateral G, real time fuel and external ambient temperature. Now from a "fun! gee-wiz this is an awesome gadget!" point of view those are important, but not critical to normal driving. The fact that it is there is another expensive piece of electronics to replace if it fries itself.
Oh definitely, but that's what warranties are for
Old 4/11/10 | 11:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes they just reflect an image on the windshield. I got a HUD on my GTO. Free Iphone apps FTW! Shows me speed direction etc and will go flying if I turn hard.
Old 4/13/10 | 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rjaniz
Sorry, I don't follow. Currently this is how Automotive HUDs work: they project onto the windscreen. So how is it a problem (aside from the possible ghosting of a non-polarized windshield)?

Someone posted that they have problems with direct sunlight making them difficult to read. I was simply explaining why.