General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor

Search this Thread

Old 7/10/05, 06:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like Ford has stepped it up a little in light of Dodge's Police Package for the Charger. Most notably horsepower and standard features are up.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/2006fle...icPoliceInt.asp

Key Highlights
-Crown Victoria Police Interceptor offers body-on-frame construction, rear-wheel drive and a V8 powertrain as standard equipment
-Government's 5-Star front crash test safety rating - Crown Victoria has received the government's highest 5-Star crash test safety rating for the driver and front passenger for 10 years in a row (1996-2005)
-Tested in 75-mph rear-end crash - No other car in the world is tested to this standard!
-5 Police Prep Packages are available to customize equipment needs for individual police departments and reduce aftermarket upfitter installation costs
-Ford Vehicle Special Order (VSO) available for unique vehicle equipment and special paint options (visit www.fleet.ford.com for more VSO information)
-17" wheels and tires now standard on every Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
-Engine hour meter is now standard
-AM/FM stereo radio now standard for 2006 MY

Safety and Security
-Airbags - Side-impact (available)
-Brakes - Power Anti-lock Brake System (ABS)
-Brake/shift interlock
-Door beams - Side-impact
-Emergency interior trunk release
-Government's highest 5-Star frontal crash test safety rating
-Personal Safety System™ for driver and right-front passenger - With dual-stage airbags, safety belt pretensioners, safety belt energy-management retractors, safety belt usage sensors, driver's-seat position sensor, crash severity sensor and restraint control module
-Traction Control (available)
Always wear your safety belt and secure children in the rear seat.

Major Standard Features
-Body-on-frame, RWD construction
-Engine - 250-hp 4.6L SEFI V8 with overhead cam
-Engine, power steering and transmission oil coolers
-200-amp alternator (provides additional electrical capacity for police equipment)
-Wheels - 17" wheels and tires
-Air conditioning
-Conventional spare tire
-Engine hour meter
-Front and rear stabilizer bars
-AM/FM stereo radio

Major Optional Features
-Airbags - Side-impact (driver and front-passenger)
-Audio - AM/FM stereo/cassette
-Axle - Choice of 3.27 non-limited-slip or 3.55 limited-slip axle
-Driver's-side or dual spot light assembly
-Engine block heater
-Laminated side security glass
-Power-adjustable pedals
-Rear power windows and door locks delete
-Seat - Power driver's
-Street Appearance Package
-Two-tone paint

Optional Packages
-Automatic Fire Suppression System
with manual activation switch (please visit
www.cvpi.com for more information on this system)
-Horn/siren wiring Package
-Police Prep Packages
-Base Police Prep Package
-Base Visibility Package
-Complete Police Prep Package
-Ready-for-the-Road Package
-Visibility Package
-Trunk Pack™ (with DuPont™ KEVLAR® Lining)
-Please visit www.cvpi.com for proper trunk packing considerations and additional information
-DuPont™ and KEVLAR® are trademarks or registered trademarks of DuPont or its affiliates.

**Available on select series. See your dealer for details.

Ford Motor Company reserves the right to change product specifications at any time without incurring obligations.
Old 7/11/05, 10:45 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
interesting

75mph?! thats insane
Old 7/11/05, 11:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

That is neat! I know quite a few cops up in the Allentown area and they love the Vic's. So far A-town is not switching to the Chargers. The Vic's have been tweaked and worked on so long and are tried and true. They tried out a Dodge Intrepid with 242 HP V6 engine but they said they just didn't handle as well. They said they liked the rear wheel drive opposed to the front. The Intrepid had a lot of understeer and required a lot more effort to handle due to this.

I've ridden in a 2004 in the once (and no not in the back). Since I was with the FD up there and now one down here they would always let us have a little fun. Anyways, those Vic's handle great in the snow even without the chains (which were usually put on anyway).

Thats great with the 75 mph rear test! Great find Bro
Old 7/12/05, 03:19 PM
Cobra Member

why doesn't it have 300hp? is it a different 4.6L engine than the one in the stang? or is it de-tuned?
Old 7/12/05, 03:20 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
It is probably still a 2v motor and also they have a slightly different cam grind which gives it a better/lower trq curve.
Old 7/13/05, 09:09 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

They need something more powerfull because Dodge have Magnum and Charger with Hemi and 340 hp.
Old 7/13/05, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

Almost makes me think twice about buying a used Marauder.... Not! j/k

I wonder if this means the regular Crown Victoria will get the Marauder airbox now? 250 hp, hm and on regular gas, maybe. I just wish they would fit the 3.55s, almumin driveshaft, pi convertor, and LSD on a normal LX Sport.

Originally posted by Red Star@July 13, 2005, 3:12 PM
They need something more powerfull because Dodge have Magnum and Charger with Hemi and 340 hp.

Power isn't the most important thing, it's price and the overall package. The hemi would be too expensive to use for regular cruisers. The Highway pursuit cars on the other hand is a different story. For the most parts though, big hp isn't the way they catch speeders. Most of the time it is too dangerous to go through with a high speed chase and cops will generally back off. Instead, they will build a road block and set up spikes a few miles up ahead where the criminal is heading. Most sales of the police Charger/ Magnum will be the 3.5l V6 and the car hasn't been proven yet in terms of safety and reliability. The Crown Victoria has.
Old 7/13/05, 11:22 AM
Team Mustang Source

No, this seems to be limited to just the CVPI. All their other fleet vehicles retain the horespower from the last couple of years (which in the LX Sport, and upgraded Grand Marquis and Town Car is 239 which they say is achieved through the use of the dual exhaust).

It also helps that the Crown Vic is very easy to work on, easy to maintain, and not too expensive for cost of ownership when longevitiy of the vehicle is taken into account.
Old 7/13/05, 11:58 AM
Cobra R Member

ya, the body on frame is sweet for durability i hear. my familiy's been driving crown vics and grand marquis since like '87 or something. our mechanic said that despite the 350K km, disintegrating floor, rusted through body and all that (salty snowy montreal winters), the frame was pretty much as good as new. Frames i'm guessing help with pushing other cars off the road and so forth. I'm still really antsy to see what ford makes to replace the crown vics for the cops.
Old 7/13/05, 03:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@July 13, 2005, 6:01 PM
ya, the body on frame is sweet for durability i hear. my familiy's been driving crown vics and grand marquis since like '87 or something. our mechanic said that despite the 350K km, disintegrating floor, rusted through body and all that (salty snowy montreal winters), the frame was pretty much as good as new. Frames i'm guessing help with pushing other cars off the road and so forth. I'm still really antsy to see what ford makes to replace the crown vics for the cops.
They won't replace the Vic. In one to two years time, the Vic will have an Explorer style make over with the new 3v V8 and a 5 speed tranny with an updated interior and exterior.
Old 7/14/05, 09:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by StevenJ@July 13, 2005, 12:12 PM
Almost makes me think twice about buying a used Marauder.... Not! j/k

I wonder if this means the regular Crown Victoria will get the Marauder airbox now? 250 hp, hm and on regular gas, maybe. I just wish they would fit the 3.55s, almumin driveshaft, pi convertor, and LSD on a normal LX Sport.
Power isn't the most important thing, it's price and the overall package. The hemi would be too expensive to use for regular cruisers. The Highway pursuit cars on the other hand is a different story. For the most parts though, big hp isn't the way they catch speeders. Most of the time it is too dangerous to go through with a high speed chase and cops will generally back off. Instead, they will build a road block and set up spikes a few miles up ahead where the criminal is heading. Most sales of the police Charger/ Magnum will be the 3.5l V6 and the car hasn't been proven yet in terms of safety and reliability. The Crown Victoria has.
:yes: I agree with you Steven and I can vouch that even with what seems like "just" 250 HP, the CVPI's can move!
Old 7/14/05, 10:53 AM
GT Member

The 75mph crash tests are a response to the rear end collision fires. There have been more than a few deaths, and lawsuits. The tanks were getting punctured by all the crud we keep in the trunk, so there are new mods and a shield to protect the fuel tank.

My city buys Crown Vic's and we like them. They run well, and handle better than most. The old Caprice was faster, but handled like a barge, and you had to back up virtually blind. The new Dodge looks interesting. If it handles well, it may be a Vic killer.

As an aside, we tested the new Tahoe police package against my duty car. It beat it on straight line acceleration, cornering, braking and the slalom. I hate the idea of driving a truck, but every one of our driving instructors agreed it outperformed my car. Weight and equipment packages were similar, so the only real difference was 1000 mi on the Tahoe, and 25,000 on my squad. Age might have a bit of an effect, and I'd like to see the Tahoe after 25,000 hard miles to see if it holds up well or not.
Old 7/14/05, 10:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
I think I like the new charger package better. More style!