General Vehicle Discussion/News Non-Mustang Vehicle Chat, Other Makes

'13 battery & weight balance Qs

Search this Thread

Old 4/12/12, 07:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'13 battery & weight balance Qs

I'm adding some electronics which require backup batteries to a '13 and was thinking, so I don't have to check/replace multiple backups and I so I don't put too much load on the OEM battery, to just run a second 12V battery as the backup for everything and stick it in a box in the trunk, like you would if relocating the battery. I'm only 175 so I figure 40 extra pounds ain't bad and I'll lighten the car a little somewhere else. The car will see track time, but will be a DD. Am thinking of buying a battery relo kit and powder coating the box. I just need to wire + to + and - to -, right? And I'm guessing it should go on the d/s, correct? I figure that's opposite the primary battery and the d/s should be setup better for more weight. No idea what the weight balance is front to rear and d/s to p/s on 10+s, though. Anyone else? And any issues I haven't thought of or anything else I should consider?
Old 4/13/12, 08:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you using an on board compressor? Quick guy handy man service. Please explain why you would need any type of battery back up and using the car as a track car. I'm really not trying to sound mean but it isn't a jet. Just trying to figure out the necessity and how you can avoid the weight or even the load on the electrical system.
Old 4/14/12, 08:43 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
Are you using an on board compressor? Quick guy handy man service.
Always thought would be cool, but no.
Please explain why you would need any type of battery back up and using the car as a track car.
Security upgrades, so not really going to get into specifics and as I mentioned, it will be a DD that will see some track time. It's not going to be a track car. Was just trying to give as much info about the car's use as I could up front.
I'm really not trying to sound mean but it isn't a jet. Just trying to figure out the necessity and how you can avoid the weight or even the load on the electrical system.
I'm adding a battery, not a turbine! Without getting into specifics, if you have two power sources in two different, locked, locations, its going to take a thief that much longer to stop an alarm and anything else tied to it, like notification services. Note that the active-anti-theft comes with a larger battery already, to handle the constant monitoring when armed I imagine, so I don't want to add more security/monitoring and overdraw the battery when the car is off/armed or overtax it under load when I add audio/video upgrades, performance alternator or whatever down the road. Don't know a great deal about electrical, which is why I'm asking Qs here.

EDIT: P.S. I guess what I'm really looking for is a low-maintenance battery backup. I don't want my car to get jacked cause I forgot to check my backup batteries that month. With a 12v backup, I can check it like once a year and Ill know if/when there are battery issues.

Last edited by wheelman; 4/14/12 at 09:30 AM.
Old 4/14/12, 09:28 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

...but Im also interested in the weight balance of the car if anyone has info.