Canada Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Got my license. Anyone know anything about graduated licensing? :P

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/06, 06:57 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Colin,

Just pay attention in the young driver's classes. They actually teach you applicable skills on how to drive, unlike the shady driving schools which only teach you to pass the test. I've encountered at least a few situations where I avoided bad accidents because of the mindset they instilled.
Old 5/29/06, 08:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, you guys in Ontario have it tough. In Nova Scotia as soon as you turn 16 you can get a learners permit (written test). That allows you to drive on any road as long as someone out of the graduated licence program is sitting shotgun.

After six months or 3 months and 8-10 hours of driving school, I was allowed to get my class 5N licence ( about 10 minute road test). It's pretty close to a real licence, basic restrictions are no driving between midnight and six and no alcohol.

Then it's 2 years and you can have a regular licence (no test at all), only a few months away for me now (as long as I don't get caught doing something stupid)

The worst part for me is definitly the driving after 12 thing.
Old 5/29/06, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by THRUST_
Wow, you guys in Ontario have it tough. In Nova Scotia as soon as you turn 16 you can get a learners permit (written test). That allows you to drive on any road as long as someone out of the graduated licence program is sitting shotgun.

After six months or 3 months and 8-10 hours of driving school, I was allowed to get my class 5N licence ( about 10 minute road test). It's pretty close to a real licence, basic restrictions are no driving between midnight and six and no alcohol.

Then it's 2 years and you can have a regular licence (no test at all), only a few months away for me now (as long as I don't get caught doing something stupid)

The worst part for me is definitly the driving after 12 thing.
I personally thought going through the process it sucked. It appeared as just another money grab, but after driving since 1994, I feel those years helped (I even arranged my lessons on days it snowed!!). There's always certain people that find there ways around it. I had a friend in high school who bought a fake driving school cert, I couldn't believe it.

I wish I went to Young Drivers instead of Provincial driving school, but driving 2 years with parents in the car was a great help.
Old 5/30/06, 05:34 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I was out driving with my mom today, and right in front of me one guy got t-boned going through a red light. It kinda woke me up I geuss. Too many of my friends are too reckless about it I geuss, and Im beginning to realize that theyre morons for it.
Old 5/31/06, 07:03 AM
Meet Krissy, Our Star Racer

Originally Posted by korinwoodo
I was out driving with my mom today, and right in front of me one guy got t-boned going through a red light. It kinda woke me up I geuss. Too many of my friends are too reckless about it I geuss, and Im beginning to realize that theyre morons for it.
Yay! I mean....crappy for the guy, but I'm glad you're seeing things for yourself now. It's much better that you see it and learn from someone else, then you being in that t-boned car.

It's scary stuff...accidents are always SO loud in person, eh?

Anyways, good luck with the rest of the lessons...
Old 5/31/06, 03:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Rondosa
Yay! I mean....crappy for the guy, but I'm glad you're seeing things for yourself now. It's much better that you see it and learn from someone else, then you being in that t-boned car.

It's scary stuff...accidents are always SO loud in person, eh?

Anyways, good luck with the rest of the lessons...
Yeah it was really loud. Especially the smack, and then he hit a lamp stick thing too. Right by Sheridan Mall where I took the YD classes. Irony...lol. Im going for the first in car lesson next week.
Old 6/3/06, 01:22 PM
Cobra Member

you'll find those in car lessons go by very quickly. I actually enjoyed them, but the instrutor was a good guy.
Old 6/3/06, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you go on the highway without a driving instructor, I believe you lose your G1 for 30 days.
Old 6/4/06, 06:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by friedmaster
If you go on the highway without a driving instructor, I believe you lose your G1 for 30 days.
Thanks the answer I was orginially looking for. thanks homie. If that comes off the time toward my G2, its not worth it.
Old 6/4/06, 06:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Google your motor vehicle act , the answer you seek shall be found there young grass hopper ! congrats ! don't be in a hurry for that red light ! and stay outta that district ha,ha.
Old 6/5/06, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by korinwoodo
Thanks the answer I was orginially looking for. thanks homie. If that comes off the time toward my G2, its not worth it.
I would think that it definitely comes off the g2 time, but it could also restart that time i think. Your best bet would be to get lots of practice before you go for your lessons, so you can get a good amount of highway time iwth your instructor.
Old 6/5/06, 04:20 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can you please post when and where you will be driving so we can all make sure to avoid that area
Old 6/5/06, 04:50 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
can you please post when and where you will be driving so we can all make sure to avoid that area
Well tomorrow I was going to go out to Sarnia and look at the radio and floor it whenever I see any blue and white Mustangs, but no one on here could possibly be in that situation.

Originally Posted by friedmaster
I would think that it definitely comes off the g2 time, but it could also restart that time i think. Your best bet would be to get lots of practice before you go for your lessons, so you can get a good amount of highway time iwth your instructor.
yeah, Im interested to see what the lessons are like. First one tomorrow.
Old 6/7/06, 04:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

I had the first in car lesson yesterday. I must admit that I admire you guys who can drive standard well. Im not very good at starting in first, but I can do the rest pretty well. I love doing the 1-2 shift.
Old 6/20/06, 04:53 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Tommorows the day for the first YD highway driving, should be exciting seeing as I still suck at driving standard. Ill let you homies know if I kill anyone. Oh, I also broke the G1 rule about having the other driver in the car. I was cruising home yesterday alone with my dad driving up ahead of me.
Old 6/20/06, 05:18 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Colin,

personally, i'd learn using an automatic frist, there are so many other things to pay attention to other than the stickshift... but that's just me
Old 6/20/06, 05:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Galaxie
Colin,

personally, i'd learn using an automatic frist, there are so many other things to pay attention to other than the stickshift... but that's just me
Yeah man, for sure. Both of my parents cars are autos, I can drive them fine. I'm doing the Young Drivers in stick though, if I took it for auto, I would have been bored, so this is more exciting. I just don't do well when its stressful traffic and then I stall it. Im learning to get the feel for when the clutch wants the car to go and when it wants to stall now, so thats going well.
Old 6/20/06, 05:52 PM
Cobra Member

That's a good idea, if both your parents cars are autos you would have nothing to learn stick on later. If you didn't take that course with a stick you'd wish you had.
Old 6/20/06, 06:22 PM
I Have Admin Envy

You won't get good at a manual until you have a car to practice with. Young Driver's reccomended I take the auto course because there were no manuals at home.
Old 6/20/06, 06:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah the guy told me that the first day. He says that it wouldn't be ideal but should be ok, so I went with it. Apparently I'm progressing better than his other students who did not have a manual at home, so thats cool. 8 lessons in now, can't really go back.

Quick Reply: Got my license. Anyone know anything about graduated licensing? :P