Northeast Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Anyone Near NYC?

Search this Thread

Old 12/12/04, 04:48 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm going to Philly next week for some training for work, and I'm hoping to make a trip to NYC while I'm there. I've never been to NYC before, so I was just curious what you thought were some must-see things for first-time tourists. If I get to go to NYC, my time will be very limited there, and I doubt I'll get there before 6pm on any night.
  • Rockefeller Christmas Tree
  • Ed Sullivan Theater
  • Yankees Stadium
  • Ground Zero
  • Central Park
  • Statue of Liberty
Old 12/12/04, 08:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you could make it by 5 you could see Letterman.
Old 12/12/04, 09:20 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I've put in a request for Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night to see Letterman, but training is supposed to last until 4pm 45 minutes west of Philly.
Old 12/12/04, 11:29 PM

Too bad you're not getting there during the day; the park stuff like the USS Intrepid museum (anchored on the West Side) and the Statue of Liberty (awesome observation deck) close at 5.

I'm going up also, but I lived on Long Island up until a few years ago so it's tough to think of any must sees (I still take all the cool stuff for granted). If you just want atmosphere then there are some cool places like Zip City (a micro brewery) around Union Square along with a bunch of good and relatively inexpensive restaurants.

I guess MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) would be a must see if you're even slightly into that kind of stuff. They have late hours Fridays and don't let the name fool you, they have all the old stuff like Picasso and Matisse.

I hope you enjoy your trip,

EDIT:They don't let you into the statue anymore so the observation deck is now at the base (I'm guessing it's not nearly as cool).
Old 12/13/04, 07:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Brad,

I went to the city on Saturday, The Rockefeller center was so busy...... couldn't get near the rink (about a 3.5 hour wait).
Also, the Ellis island / Statue of liberty ferries were also about a 3 hour wait :bang:
Ground Zero was heartbreaking............. nuff said

If you are there at night, get yourself on the "Gray Lines" bus tour (Holiday Lights). It lasted 2 hours and was great!

Have a good time

James
Old 12/13/04, 04:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Best night ever to go into the city is on Christmas Eve, hardly any traffic, you can drive around with no hassles and always find parking! Hope you have fun in the city Brad!
Old 12/14/04, 06:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Brad,
One big problem is that it will be dark and late by the time you get to NYC. Plus there will be a ton of people in town for Christmas. If you do it, expect large, rude crowds. I grew up in that area and now live about 20 minutes west of Philly. You would be better off waiting until you have the time to really see New York.
PM to you also.
Old 12/14/04, 01:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too bad I'm not up there anymore...I would have gladly cruised downtown with you!!

hey glevy, what brought you from NY to FL????
Old 12/14/04, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Topnotch@December 14, 2004, 3:31 PM
hey glevy, what brought you from NY to FL????
Mostly a change in career and to do something different.

I do miss the people and weather in NY - Florida is way too hot (although golf year round is nice)! I always make sure to go back up during winter.
Old 12/15/04, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Brad,

I work in Manhattan. Those are good ideas, although I'd stay away from Yankee stadium at night when no games are on but if you are here during daylight it's cool to see. PM me with any questions about subways or restaurants. Definately see Rock center.. between the tree, the rink, and all the underground shops you can spend hours there. Walk around Broadway and Times Sq.. that's a must see too. The Marriott Marque in Times Square has a bar/restaurant that rotates 360 degrees so you get a great view of the city. Maybe a pub crawl in the Village too.
Old 12/16/04, 08:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by blackhat97@December 15, 2004, 11:58 AM
Brad,

I work in Manhattan. Those are good ideas, although I'd stay away from Yankee stadium at night when no games are on but if you are here during daylight it's cool to see. PM me with any questions about subways or restaurants. Definately see Rock center.. between the tree, the rink, and all the underground shops you can spend hours there. Walk around Broadway and Times Sq.. that's a must see too. The Marriott Marque in Times Square has a bar/restaurant that rotates 360 degrees so you get a great view of the city. Maybe a pub crawl in the Village too.
He never made it out of Pennsylvania. We met him for dinner at Dave & Busters Philladelphia.(See thread under 2005 Mustang) He may come up for the NY Auto Show.
Old 12/17/04, 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

ahhhh Thanks for the heads-up. pub crawls in April are better anyways!